It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else see Comet Machholz?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
There's a comet out and it took some binoculars but I saw it from my back yard. It is located near the constellation Pleiades and has a greenish tint. This is the first one Ive seen this year.
More info: www.spaceweather.com...

E_T

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Definitely would watch it but last weeks have had traditional winter weather of Finland, clouds, clouds and once more clouds, althought rain brought by yet again one winter storm isn't part of that tradition... but that rain shouldn't be surprise considering weather has acted little weirdly in last year.

For those looking more exact charts of its location:
www.ursa.fi...
(try word ratakartta)

E_T

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There was no single cloud at afternoon but around sunset clouds came back fast, gladly it worked again that near midnight those clouds would go away.

Nice comet but not so spectacular... althought moment was otherwise almost perfect.
High transparency, Orion and Sirius directly at south, milky way going through the sky to Cygnus and those combining with aurora oval in northern horizon while some small fractures of low level clouds where silhouetted against those...
That's almost only moment when you can forget injustice of world and corruption and greed of rich ones and those in ruling places. (and stupidity of people for allowing this situation)

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Picture of Comet Machholz taken on December 26,2004
Click the photo to enlarge it...

Telephoto, CCD

Comet Machholz (C/2004 Q2)
December 26,2004

Tails faintly visible in this image taken with a full moon only 45 degrees away. Two narrow ion tails can be made out to the left of the nucleus and a broader one (the dust tail) to the lower right. 5x120 seconds.

Click the link for more pictures of Comet Machholz

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Last night there was the first clear skies in weeks and I went out to see it at about 9pm CST. I had to use Binoculars but I found it after a little search near the Star Algol in the Perseus Constilation. It was pratically at Zenith for me so i had to lay down on my back in the snow
Saw a low orbiting sattilite at the same time

And I remembered why they used to call them "Hairy stars" It wasn't impressive but I knew i found it.

btw nice pic Hellmutt

E_T

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
I had to use Binoculars but I found it after a little search near the Star Algol in the Perseus Constilation. It was pratically at Zenith for me so i had to lay down on my back in the snow
While you're at it I suggest moving those binoculars little more upwards through Perseus to between it and Cassiopeia.
Misam aka open clusters NGC869 and NGC884 should be quite nice with good binoculars.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I finally saw it last night. It's been cloudly in Michigan damn near every day since the beginning of December. It was about the zenith, and sadly not all that exciting. From city lights all I saw was a smudge, neither tail nor color of any kind. Even under a five minute exposure with a camera nothing would show up.

E_T

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well... for those living in North America... If you can, try to watch it on coming night because day or two more and moon gets too bright and close to it.
Of course coming week is best time to watch moon, there's very much details visible now.

And comet is visible with naked eye.
Big binoculars are good, with 20x60 it looks very nice.
(those are also good for watching M42)

new topics

top topics

join