It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colossians 1:24 What do you think it means?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Colossians 1:24 Paul,, has thanked God for the Colossians, declared the supremacy of Christ, and in 24 he states" I am now rejoicing in my sufferings for your sake, and in MY FLESH I AM COMPLETING WHAT IS LACKING IN CHRISTS AFFLICTIONS for the sake of his body, the church.

My question is simple and two parts, first, what EXACTLY is lacking in Christs afflictions? One Gospel has him saying it it finished. Now am I to believe it was not finished? I am positive he is talking about the crucifixion, no doubt whatsoever.
Again what was lacking in the crucifixion?
And how is Paul completing what has already been finished and why is he saying that it was lacking? God didn't plan right so Paul has to fix it?
I am going to finish there but before you say I've taken it out of context let me make it clear. I AM concentrating on one brief statement only because of the huge implication made that somehow the crucifixion wasn't complete. Read Colossians if you want, I just did. And that statement really caught my attention. It's a few pages, and I don't have a problem with anything but that statement, and I want to know what everbody thinks I am also officially not drawing any conclusions just a few thoughts so I am open to what everyone has to say.
Thank you, please enjoy.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360

Nothing.

Paul speaks of his commission which is to spread the Gospel to the gentiles.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Interesting subject. I'm not sure what he means by this, but I read the following few verses and saw something even more interesting (in my opinion).

Colossians 1
25 of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, 26 the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. 27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Paul speaks of a mystery that he teaches. This reminds me of a certain someone in Revelation.

Revelation 17
5 The name written on her forehead was a mystery: babylon the great the mother of prostitutes and of the abominations of the earth.

The whore of Babylon had a mystery on her forehead (her mind). Paul's doctrine is the foundation of the church, the bride (female) of Christ.

I think there's a connection here.
edit on 2/1/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Not really. God had kept Himself to His chosen people previously. Even Christ and His Disciples served the Jews more then any of the gentiles. God and His word were a mystery to the surrounding peoples and it was Paul's commission to take the Gospel out into the world. That is the mystery he's speaking of and the unfinished business he refers to.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1Yeah I thought that was interesting and a little gnostic. I didn't want to distract from that question and truthfully it was easier. But mystery Babylon is my personal take, he leaves out the Babylon for obvious reasons.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Even though in Acts while paul is sitting there we can read...

And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.

7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

I guess peter was lying... Or God was...

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1I just noticed I wrote the same thing u did.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
I really want to stay on that one question at least until we get a couple good answers.
But I'm 100% on the same page.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1Mystery Babylon is exactly where he is leading them. Who calls the crucifixion incomplete and then starts his own branch of Babylon Pharisee Christianity? The Wolf. NT Balaam.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

If you are talking about the Holy Spirit coming at Pentecost, I suppose it depends on which translation you are using. But they received the gift of tongues in order to preach to the devout Jews of every nation and tongue.

By that point, they were preaching the Gospel.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
What do God and/or Jesus say about speaking in tongues? I can't remember but it's not good.

edit on 1-2-2016 by areyousirius360 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

No... Im talking about the fact that Peter was supposed to be the one that went to the gentiles, commissioned by God apparently... Yet Paul decided that He should go instead

Took it upon himself to overrule God's commission

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Remember what I suggested in my "Paul: Rome's Version of the Trojan Horse"? That Peter and Paul represent the same person or archetype, that of the deceiver.

Luke 22
31 Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat.

And as we know, Satan masquerades as an angel of light.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1That's another Paul lie. Remember Jesus said a kingdom divided against itself can't stand saying the prince of demons can't cast out demon? Same applies here. Satan has one job, to temp. He can only stray from his job with Gods permission. And satan works for God, and has never masqueraded as anything, he is the Adversary of man. But not God. Hes never been shown to appear as anything but himself. He is not a fallen angel in Judaism, why would he be in Christianity.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You have it backwards.
Paul is saying that he's filling up IN HIS FLESH...
that which is lacking (IN HIM) in regard to Christ's afflictions. As in, by comparison, Paul falls short of Christ.

This passage mirrors what he says later, in 3:10:

"I want to know Christ--yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death..."

This is what his aim is - to live as Christ lived, to suffer as He suffered, and to become like Him in His death.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

You can try to dance around the fact that Satan pretends to be an angel of light but even Jesus says so. We've already been over this.

Matthew 7
15 Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Paul is Satan pretending to be an angel of light, he is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Satan is not a single entity but a concept that encompasses many things, he represents the darker side of humanity.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1he does not ever say angel of light you mean wolf in sheep's clothing two entirely different things not to mention species. Paul WAS the wolf. Of the tribe of Benjamin.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Same concept my friend. Satan is not some outside entity, he represents the darker aspects of human nature. You're hung up on the idea that Satan is singular in form, being an actual thing. Satan is a concept, not a single person or thing.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Awen24
You have it backwards I assure you. Don't tell me what I already know is backwards. You can make up excuses but to say the crucifixion is incomplete is blasphemous. Satan has never been an angel of light. If you're thinking Lucifer it has been proven beyond all doubt that lucifer was a myth based off sloppy translation and that Isaiah 14:12 passage doesn't have a thing to do with Satan. I guarantee you. There was no Lucifer in Judaism when the bible was written and not now.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: [po

edit on 1-2-2016 by areyousirius360 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join