It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa Caucus Discussion.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
THANK YOU!!!!

Oh, my pleasure. You getting the popcorn ready?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Thanks Schuyler, are you happy with this process? It all seems to be open up to fraud and the like, it's foreign to me, but I am from the U.K where we get to choose one of two parties.

This is all about what the local fuss is all about. We have councillors here in the U.K, amateurs that have to employ professionals in order to deliver what is required.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Hopes and prayers?

I am praying that all the candidates fall into a giant sinkhole filled with Ebola-infected piranhas.

How un-American . Not rooting for a team. This is like the Super Bowl of politics.
He says dripping with sarcasm and venom.
Btw , I agree . But add veraciously hungry Ebola-infected piranhas....

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

THANK YOU!!!!

Oh, my pleasure. You getting the popcorn ready?

My pleasure...

Des

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You bet!!!!

Just turned on the TV - that happens about once a week.....
or less.

Depends on how close to "God" we feel.......

edit on 2/1/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
What in the name of the Lord is a caucus all about?

I am from the U.K, so I am unfortunately, in a very ignorant position with regards to what is actually gong on.

Good luck U.S.A, you might just need it.

Nothing, it's about people from Iowa voting, nothing more. And they haven't picked the actual winner in the last several elections.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Me and Cthulhu are pretty close.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

a reply to: schuyler

Thanks Schuyler, are you happy with this process? It all seems to be open up to fraud and the like, it's foreign to me, but I am from the U.K where we get to choose one of two parties.

Well, I've had it both ways, a primary and a caucus. The caucus seems ungainly to me. You have to put out to get there, be willing to face crowded conditions, and it can be emotionally taxing. When I was there the Ron Paul supporters were out in force, skewing the results, and being obnoxious, so it was difficult. You see the problem here? It's not about fairness. It's about who shows up at the caucus. So a well organized candidate, such as Ron Paul was, will be able to do much better than he would have done in a primary election. A primary is much more anonymous and private, and it reaches more people. The caucus is much more intimate and attracts a certain kind of person. Since I'm a bit of a misanthrope who does not like crowds, I prefer the primary.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

I am from the U.K, so I am unfortunately, in a very ignorant position with regards to what is actually gong on.

A caucus is not like a silent vote. People get together and discuss the candidates, then vote their favorites publicly. They also discuss other party platform issues. it's strictly a party thing. Government is not involved. Anyone who wants to can speak, but you don't have to. They are done by districts, and the votes come out of the district to choose delegates. I went to the GOP caucus 8 years ago. It was actually a fairly civilized encounter even though people were partisan about their candidates.

In my case the caucus chose delegates to the County convention, then the County convention chose delegates to the State convention, who chose delegates to the national convention, who actually voted for the candidates. So my caucus experience did not result in the direct election of delegates. Iowa does.

The GOP and DEM processes are quite different though aren't they? The DEM process is more public, whilst the GOP is still an individual 'write on paper' process once the hour long group persuasion process is over...

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

It is the divisional playoffs of the great political league.....

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You bet!!!!

Just turned on the TV - that happens about once a week.....
or less.

Ha, I hear ya - my TV might not work anymore. Haven't checked in ages.
I will tune into FOX News here in the UK though to watch this unfold.
edit on 1/2/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I've been bouncing between MSNBC CNN and Fox to guage the coverage of the candidates. Trump in particulsr.

Since the cluster-**** between Trump and Fox, he is barely mentioned. When he is it is in a negative context. That is a deep wound Trump inflicted on Fox. One that will not heal soon.

CNN is being the most fair to all candidates IMHO.

MSNBC is acting like Trump is their new best friend in the ratings game.

Interesting watching the ebb and flow of how they are presenting information, and whom is being interviewed.

S&F OP....nice thread...

Des

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

They have four people watching now?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Think of it as a townhall meeting where you vote.

Then what would happen is after the vote people would get elected to represent the precinct and then some would end up at the state convention. Sometimes the selection would match the vote, sometimes it would not. The caucus vote was not binding on candidates. At the convention a final slate of delegates are selected
Ron Paul's superior organization and willingness of his supporters to learn the rules lead him to end up dominating the final delegate selection in iowa in 2012.
The republican national committee have since changed the rules to prevent this from happening; caucus votes now bind delegates to the voting outcome.
The Rule change only hurts Rand Paul who could have had his father's supporters repeat their efforts.

I like caucus's better. IT would be interesting to see a caucus during a general election.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Bernie Sanders over HRC by 15%

Why you ask???

Most caucus goers are there for one or two reasons:

1) getting their candidate nominated

2) fear of the other party

Sanders supporters have a third reasons to caucus:

3) to support the beginning of a social, political revolution in the US of A

When sanders wins Iowa, HRC will go full bat # crazy, causing her supporters to turn on her. Once it becomes clear Sanders has won, the DOJ will prosecute HRC over her email anarchy, the rogue server. and crimes tied to the Clinton Foundation.

And we all will live happily ever after! LOL's

Ain't that just dandy!

moar lulz (:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

They have four people watching now?

Yes! But only 3 on bathroom breaks.

MSNBC has been gushing over Trump, which is the opposite I would have expected from them. They were the only network that covered Trump's flip off to Fox, benefit for Veterans.

Des

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

They are hoping to pick up the fox exodus

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I think you'll see the real hardcore folks come out given the developing weather situation.

So, that may favor Hillary and possibly Cruz or Rubio.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: schuyler

A caucus is not like a silent vote. People get together and discuss the candidates, then vote their favorites publicly. They also discuss other party platform issues. it's strictly a party thing. Government is not involved. Anyone who wants to can speak, but you don't have to. They are done by districts, and the votes come out of the district to choose delegates. I went to the GOP caucus 8 years ago. It was actually a fairly civilized encounter even though people were partisan about their candidates.

In my case the caucus chose delegates to the County convention, then the County convention chose delegates to the State convention, who chose delegates to the national convention, who actually voted for the candidates. So my caucus experience did not result in the direct election of delegates. Iowa does.

The GOP and DEM processes are quite different though aren't they? The DEM process is more public, whilst the GOP is still an individual 'write on paper' process once the hour long group persuasion process is over...

Well, I think it varies by state and the local party. I have only the GOP one to go by, but I went to the local precinct-based caucus, was "elected" (because the other two did not have transportation) to go to the County convention, which was set up differently, then elected (really, this time) to go to the State Convention, which was much more formal.

The thing is, the delegates to the National were pretty much pre-selected. You could "put yourself up" for the National, but they created a "Unity Slate" and pretty much expected all delegates to the State to vote for it. It was controlled and at that point any individual input was lost. So at the Caucus level I felt like I had a real vote. At the County level it was kind of happenstance. I got to have 30 seconds to say my piece, and if one were well spoken, you got voted in. At the State level I was just a cog with no real input.

It was interesting, I will say that, but I'd never do it again.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

TY

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join