It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Agent in Charge of Oregon Occupation Linked to Nat'l Security Breach, Fraud & Corruption

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I had to shorten the original title at link to get it to post. Here is the full title:

Special Agent in Charge of Oregon Occupation Greg Bretzing Linked to National Security Breach, Fraud and Corruption in Salt Lake City

In 2011 KSL-TV out of Utah conducted a year-long investigation of the FBI Field Office in Salt Lake City regarding security violations.... Nearly a dozen self-described whistleblowers — including those with strong ties to the FBI’s Salt Lake field office — have come forward to expose potentially serious security breaches, including the removal of classified documents from the office contrary to strict FBI protocol. The whistleblowers were interviewed as part of the yearlong investigation which was able to corroborate much of what each source reported by conducting individual interviews without the knowledge of other sources.

Mistakes happen... and bad people do bad things... but what I find most disturbing about this is that employees of the FBI knew this had been going on for a very long time, but were too afraid of the FBI to speak out.

These individuals spoke on the condition that their identities be protected. “There is a severe problem with the Salt Lake office,” one source told KSL. “None of them will come forward because they know the FBI will come after them with a vengeance.” “People are afraid,” another FBI source said. “People are afraid to say anything. This has been going on for years.”

So Bretzing was then an FBI "Agent in Charge" at this office, who so many seemed afraid to cross, and is the same FBI Agent in Charge of the enforcement action which became a death trap for LaVoy Finicum... four others made it out alive by the grace of God (or just dumb luck.) This isn't good. As the author of this article says:

In light of the controversy surrounding the shooting of LaVoy Finicum and considering the other allegations of impropriety, corruption and political incest and nepotism surrounding key individuals of the Government, Judge Ann Aiken, Judge Stephen Grasty, Sheriff Dave Ward, involved with the Malhuer Occupation, this revelation is troubling in the extreme.

There was an ATS thread posted at the time, but it didn't get much attention:

Salt Lake FBI office has serious lapses that could jeopardize national security, sources say

And another article from KSL at that time:

Salt Lake City FBI office disputes claims of security breaches, corruption

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

interesting that there has been a year-long investigation on this Special Agent..

Interested to see where this will go now that there is national attention on the Oregon Occupation (and shooting of Lavoy Finicum).

hmmm

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Boad, IF legit, I would find this worthy of keeping a close eye ball on; I cant find any legitimate sources, other than alternative news sites. Do you have a solid reliable national news source? thanks!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Boad, IF legit, I would find this worthy of keeping a close eye ball on; I cant find any legitimate sources, other than alternative news sites. Do you have a solid reliable national news source? thanks!

No. I could not find any national news sources, just the local TV station that did the investigation and reported on it (KSL 5), and Deseret News who reported on the KSL 5 investigation:

Salt Lake FBI office has serious lapses that could jeopardize national security, sources say

Nor could I find any report of an official investigation being launched and its outcome, even locally. Just the KSL 5 investigation reports.

I hope you'll still keep half an eyeball on it... just in case...

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

copy that thanks for the heads up Boad!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

interesting that there has been a year-long investigation on this Special Agent..

Interested to see where this will go now that there is national attention on the Oregon Occupation (and shooting of Lavoy Finicum).

hmmm

Interesting indeed! This could open up a huge can of worms and expose all kinds of nasty ugly crimes. At the very least, I hope it prompts the good people of Utah to demand a second look -- by a controlling legal authority.

Although Utah already has its hands full of corruption:

Update on the cast of characters in the Swallow-Shurtleff scandal three years after the saga began

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the head ups on this, it's bit more info than I had found initially. Seriously disturbing that the employees are so afraid to come forth with information.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Thanks for the head ups on this, it's bit more info than I had found initially. Seriously disturbing that the employees are so afraid to come forth with information.

I am as well. I'm equally disturbed that these results from a reputable local news investigation was not followed up with a formal official investigation. (I can't find anything if it was anyway.) It's pretty sad how little attention this got. Were the news agencies threatened and "shut up" too?

Heaven only knows where all this will go. But I'm pretty sure this won't be forgotten soon.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Although the article you posted as the source of information is dated January 29, 2016, it rehashes the original article Posted May 19th, 2011 @ 11:23pm but does not follow up with any new information other than, "Greg Bretzing, now out of the FBI’s Portland, OR. branch and current Special Agent in Charge of the Malhuer Occupation and LaVoy Finicum shooting was an

"Assistant Special Agent in Charge at the time of the investigation." in 2011.

This follow up article about the breach of security doesn't even mention Greg Bretzing.

Salt Lake City FBI office disputes claims of security breaches, corruption

www.ksl.com...

So, Is the information in your posted article even actually relevant to the situation at the Oregon Occupation?

Just saying!

Edit: Also this.
www.ksl.com...

Records show FBI practice of hiding evidence in secret databases
By Dennis Romboy | Posted May 13th, 2011 @ 7:55pm

This article does not specifically mention Greg Bretzing either. For all we know he may have been one of the unmentioned whistle blowers.
edit on 1-2-2016 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I understand there were security breaches and employees were afraid to come forward for fear of severe backlash, but I'm having trouble evaluating how serious this was because I have no idea what kind of highly classified documents were at stake and why superiors being lax about them could have jeopardized national security.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

So, Is the information in your posted article even actually relevant to the situation at the Oregon Occupation?

I obviously think it's relevant, or I wouldn't have posted it. Greg Bretzing was, as you noted, Assistant to the Special Agent in Charge, James McTighe -- the boss -- who "disputed claims of security breaches and corruption," and Bretzing was also noted as being disturbed with the "pandemonium" caused by the investigation, along with McTighe and the other Assistant Special Agent in Charge. He was at the top of the chain, and that doesn't seem to have been whistleblower, nor in any way part of the solution. In fact, he was promoted to go on to run his own operations, for which he is now under scrutiny for his own corruption and crimes. Some would call that a pattern of behavior, but of course I don't know for sure.

I guess we'll just have to decide for ourselves how much relevance to give this.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: tweetie

I understand there were security breaches and employees were afraid to come forward for fear of severe backlash, but I'm having trouble evaluating how serious this was because I have no idea what kind of highly classified documents were at stake and why superiors being lax about them could have jeopardized national security.

I think they were deliberately vague about the documents and types of documents because telling us too much would likewise jeopardize national security. That was the impression I got.

But, for example, one of the problems is that documents and evidence that should have been available for discovery in a criminal case for the defendent was removed. The article another commenter posted noted that often such documents were labeled "zero files" and were unavailable for discovery -- mostly because only the FBI agent/employee who put them there knew they were there. That can do a lot of damage to a defendant's case. Especially innocent defendants who are suffering retaliation from agents...

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Thanks for that. As far as highly classified documents being compromised to mess with a case, such as tampering with evidence to protect someone who is guilty from being found guilty, or to make someone look guilty who is really not, that would be cause for grave concern.

When I see the term "highly classified documents" I start thinking about all of the secrets that have been kept from us because of "national security" so I was kind of stuck on those thoughts; hence the question and my inability to gauge what those documents might be.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tweetie

Thanks for that.

You're welcome!

When I see the term "highly classified documents" I start thinking about all of the secrets that have been kept from us because of "national security" so I was kind of stuck on those thoughts; hence the question and my inability to gauge what those documents might be.

I do too. It's become quite convenient. When I was reading the Deseret News article, they did give a good example of national security risks; for the most part, the FBI is supposed to deal with domestic issues, and the CIA deals with international issues. But during the '90s, Clinton implemented the wall -- "Gorelick's Wall" -- between the two agencies, and they weren't allowed to share information, which was blamed in part for intelligence failing to know about 911 in advance. That didn't work out so well, so there are legitimate national security issues involved in their work. I guess someone committing international crimes would be committing domestic crimes too! The problem is that it has become a very convenient excuse to keep information from the public.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Interesting... Although that field office is not involved with whats occurring in Oregon. Secondly its more than 5 years old, with the article dating back to 2011. To be honest it looks like someone is trying to link the first story to Oregon while suggesting inappropriate actions might have occurred in Oregon.

Secondly why would they not have turned over information to the IG / person responsible for FBI oversight? Or a member of Congress? Again while its interesting something doesnt feel right.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Interesting... Although that field office is not involved with whats occurring in Oregon. Secondly its more than 5 years old, with the article dating back to 2011. To be honest it looks like someone is trying to link the first story to Oregon while suggesting inappropriate actions might have occurred in Oregon.

You may be right, but if so, it went way over my head! I never thought of the problems in Oregon as a part of the problem in Utah. I just looked at the connection between Bretzing's presence then in Oregon in a supervisory position, and his presence in Utah in a supervisory position -- albeit second to the head honcho -- during allegations of wrongdoing.

Secondly why would they not have turned over information to the IG / person responsible for FBI oversight? Or a member of Congress? Again while its interesting something doesnt feel right.

I don't know. I don't recall any mention of it in the reports though. Is it possible they did, but that the national security issues required that it be kept confidential? Or was it maybe filed in the FBI's "Zero Files" and disappeared forever? (Only joking! Maybe...)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Generally speaking internal reviews / personnel issues are confidential unless someone is being prosecuted for it. The fact it was investigated by the media is a good thing. However I am not seeing any follow up articles challenging the findings. If the media is going to run a story on something like this I can't see them accepting a cover up / half ass job.

I also have issues with anonymous sources. I understand the need for it but some at some point you have to wonder if there is not something else going on?
edit on 1-2-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Generally speaking internal reviews / personnel issues are confidential unless someone is being prosecuted for it.

Which is a good thing. I would think the same for procedures as affecting national security as well.

The fact it was investigated by the media is a good thing. However I am not seeing any follow up articles challenging the findings. If the media is going to run a story on something like this I can't see them accepting a cover up / half ass job.

I only saw one follow-up story, in which the Special Agent in Charge disputed the charges. But I didn't see anything at all after that. No follow-up, no further investigations, no conclusions -- from anyone.

I also have issues with anonymous sources. I understand the need for it but some at some point you have to wonder if there is not something else going on?

Yes, there are obvious problems with anonymous sources. There can also be problems with identified sources. But in a case like this, where we hear again and again about the intimidation and bully tactics used by agents, in many instances and situations, the fear of vengeance becomes very real -- including for the reporters. And perhaps more than just fear. The fact that many of these whistleblowers individually corroborated each other I think speaks volumes. The fact that there is no reported follow-up just makes me wonder more about Bretzing.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I hope I don't confuse but...

The last thing on my mind was another FBI Agent Bretzing, this one named Richard, but I just came across this link embedded in an article about another person who is Mormon (Romney):

"Mormon Mafia"

I don't recall if this name came up in your thread and I can't look right now but I had to post the link, for what it's worth, just in case it didn't.

I know nothing of or about the Christian website I linked to and I can't vouch for it, but there's all sorts of connections (magically) coming to light lately between what are seemingly unrelated people and stories. It's bizarre!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: tweetie

Thank you for the link. Very interesting. I have been finding the same odd connections in the strangest places and I'm having trouble putting it all together.

That's why I haven't been writing much about it. I've been reading and searching... but there are just so many darn rabbit holes to explore!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join