It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold wave sweeps over East Asia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

In late January 2016, a cold wave struck much of East Asia and parts of mainland Southeast Asia, bringing record cold temperatures and snowfall to many regions. These saw their coldest temperatures in decades, while sleet was reported in Okinawa for the first time on record. Snowfall and frigid weather stranded thousands of people across four countries. At least 85 people in Taiwan died from hypothermia and cardiac arrest following a sudden drop in temperature during the weekend of January 22–24. The cold claimed a further fourteen lives in Thailand, and snowstorms resulted in six deaths across Japan.

Source

Extensive list of links to news sources can be found in the description of the YT video.

Nghe An, 300km south of Vietnam (latitude: 18.5 north), experiences first ever snowfall on record. Significant crop loss and 1000's of cattle die throughout East Asia.

Is this cold wave just a single incident or might this be a precursor of what is to come in the next few years/decades? Your opinions please!

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: snchrnct

Wow I just thought it was bad in Japan,but in freaking Vietnam??

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
An Ice Age is not coming.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

It's just very local

El Niño playing tricks with the weather again perhaps.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
NBC says 2016 will be the hottest year on record, so all this cold/snow/frost/sleet/hail is just the figment of some ones over active imagination, (sarcasm off) I don't think so, the climate is changing, yes, man made, I don,t think so, its been hotter and colder on this planet long before humans learnt to walk upright, Al Gore was quite definite ten year's ago when he said in ten years time we would all be browning nicely, I bet the Asians are thinking differently at the moment.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Yes an ice age because of our Sun falling asleep
is definitely not happening.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 1-2-2016 by UnderKingsPeak because: link1

www.dailymail.co.uk...
ed it on 1-2-2016 by UnderKingsPeak because: link 2

www.bbc.com...
edit on 1-2-2016 by UnderKingsPeak because: link 3

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Of cause climate is changing, and will continue doing so completely natural, though man is definitely accelerating the process .

One example is, humans have cut down 80 % of the worlds forest, the lungs that keeps the climate in balance, if you had 80 % of your lungs removed, you would struggle to breath, same with Earth.
edit on 1-2-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: UnderKingsPeak

Good point, I was also thinking about the sun going to sleep.

Reminds me of this easy to understand video, which presents data supporting this coming solar hibernation period.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
And while everywhere else gets lots of interesting weather, the UK is it's usual self with rain and wind

I bet even if the world was covered in ice, UK would somehow avoid it and be stuck with just wind & rain

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnderKingsPeak

originally posted by: Kali74

Yes an ice age because of our Sun falling asleep
is definitely not happening.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.bbc.com...

this cold snap was caused by the movement of the polar vortex, the sun was still there doing its job but this icy wind was more effective.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
And while everywhere else gets lots of interesting weather, the UK is it's usual self with rain and wind

I bet even if the world was covered in ice, UK would somehow avoid it and be stuck with just wind & rain

I laughed absurdly hard at this...

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

We're in an ice age.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
NBC says 2016 will be the hottest year on record, so all this cold/snow/frost/sleet/hail is just the figment of some ones over active imagination, (sarcasm off) I don't think so, the climate is changing, yes, man made, I don,t think so, its been hotter and colder on this planet long before humans learnt to walk upright, Al Gore was quite definite ten year's ago when he said in ten years time we would all be browning nicely, I bet the Asians are thinking differently at the moment.

Al Gore said no such thing. Prove it or retract that claim.

Further, perhaps you didn't notice the large reddish blob to the left of the large bluish blob? Think that might be pushing weather to a different area, hmm?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Polar vortex, they said.

Lol, it got pretty cold here last week, there was a light sleety rain in the morning at sea level.

Nothing like in IL, MA, CO, NH, WY, where i've lived in the states but freaky enough and less pleasant.

I think it was in the low 30's. Last time it snowed here was 30 yrs ago, they tell me.

Don't like it at all!

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
China snow strands 'nearly 100,000' at Guangzhou station

Heavy snow has disrupted public transport in southern China, stranding tens of thousands of people outside a rail station, police say.
The crowd outside Guangzhou station swelled to nearly 100,000 at its peak on Monday night, police said.
Central China has experienced some of its coldest weather in years.
The rare snow has coincided with the run-up to Chinese New Year - where hundreds of millions of migrant workers travel home to see their families.

top topics

join