It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scots Police Teach US Cops How To Avoid Gun Use

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

originally posted by: Restricted
The Scottish police are not at risk of being shot every time they engage the public.

Apples and oranges.

See my post above this one......
I don't even know what that means.

All I know is that if I challenge a police officer, if I'm armed or not, I expect to be shot.

The answer to this equation is simple. Cooperate.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys
Got a link for those figures as pretty sure they are wrong. (not least as the population of Scotland is not 4 million.)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The Scottish police are not at risk of being shot every time they engage the public.

Apples and oranges.

All I know is that if I challenge a police officer, if I'm armed or not, I expect to be shot.

You mean Scott's cooperate with police that much more than we do?

Look at the numbers.

There are almost just as many gun related incidents per capita in Scotland than there is in the USA.

Something your dear gun controlling leaders just so happen to not mention.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Apples and oranges.

You mean Scott's cooperate with police that much more than we do?

Look at the numbers.

There are almost just as many gun related incidents per capita in Scotland than there is in the USA.

Something your dear gun controlling leaders just so happen to not mention.

Cant find figures for Scotland but US murder by firearm figures v UK seem to be over a hundred times higher per capita.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Got a link for those figures as pretty sure they are wrong. (not least as the population of Scotland is not 4 million.)

www.dailyrecord.co.uk...

Oh and BTW......374/4 mill equals .0001
374/5 mill equals .0001

Significant digits are the key. If you want me to get more technical I can....

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I have never had a days training in my life. Despite that, when I was at secondary school, I used to fill an ice cream tub with blades I had taken off other kids who had attempted to rob me, or kill me. Some days there would be none. Some days there would be a few, and some days I would fill the box. I used to hand in whatever I had collected to the administrators office at the end of the day. Normally, having that many knives on my person would have been a cause for alarm, but they allowed me to carry it about because they got bored with me coming in every hour or so, and asked me to just come in after the end of the school day.

I was never particularly fit, nor particularly fast. All it takes is a total inability to give a crap about your own safety, and a determination to break bones if you have to in order to get the job done, that and a near psychotic hatred of oppression in all its forms.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Population of Scotland still isn't 4 million and half the incidents in Scotland relate to airguns. I suspect you are using two different definitions of gun incident.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Population of Scotland still isn't 4 million and half the incidents in Scotland relate to airguns. I suspect you are using two different definitions of gun incident.

www.gunfacts.info...

Look at the second fact.

Scots are almost twice as likely to be involved in gun crime than americans.

edit on 1-2-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Even if the second fact is correct which I suspect it is not (comparing certain crimes across countries is notoriously difficult due to different definitions) it does not mention guns crime??

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I'm not going tit for tat with you any longer.

Face it. The numbers don't lie. The Scottish police are almost just as likely to encounter a criminal with a gun as the US police are.......

Deal with it.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Some days you filled an icecream box of knives from people who attacked you? Really? You actually want to claim that?
Was that before or after you were contacted by the secret order of assassin monks who revealed your true identity.
If you want to come back to reality then let me know.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Face it. The numbers don't lie. The Scottish police are almost just as likely to encounter a criminal with a gun as the US police are.......

Deal with it.

Only you haven't actually even remotely shown that. Even your own link doesn't claim that?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Google has 5.29 million people living in Scotland. Three percent of that population, would be 158,700 people. The United States of America has a population of 318.9 million people, 1.2 percent of which would be 3,826,800 people. Now THOSE are relevant digits.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot Lol, I sensed exaggeration as well, or smelled bull#, one of the two.

edit on 1.2.2016 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Deal with it.

Only you haven't actually even remotely shown that. Even your own link doesn't claim that?

How about you try and prove otherwise?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Believe me, or do not. It was an awfully long time ago, I never kept any of the blades because they were handed in to the school and probably passed on to law enforcement on the quiet.

They let an awful lot of shady crap go on where I went to school, brushed everything under the rug to keep the place open, rather than get closed down by Ofsted. There were stabbings, beatings, people were shot at, including myself, attempted suicides, teachers screwing in the equipment cupboard during class, drinking openly in class, and others leaving under a cloud without anyone being told why... It was a hell hole.

We got all the mental cases who had been kicked out of London, and shuffled off to Essex. You see, that's what used to cause an awful lot of trouble. Experimental relocations as answers to anti social behaviour. Kid gets nasty in London, gets his whole family booted out, they come to Essex, and start bringing their tools to school with them, and all of a sudden there's a bastard round every corner trying to mug you. Kids shouldn't have to live that way, and shouldn't be exposed to those who embrace that life. If those little bastards had been in a detention centre, where they belonged at the time, I would not have had to deal with them.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You read it wrong. 3% of Scott's vs 1.2 % of USA.

If you want to correlate between the 2:

5.2 (.03)=15,600
5.2 (.012)=6,240

313 (.03)=9,390,000
313 (.012)=3,756,000

That's how to correlate those numbers.

So if the USA had as much crime per capita as Scotland did, we would have over 9 million cases not 3 million. Which is why it says Scott's are 3 times as likely......

edit on 1-2-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit I went to Swansea's roughest comprehensive school in 80's skint South Wales, blades weren't part of our culture back then, beatings unconscious were the standard back then.
Tragically my family tell me times have changed.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Of the Scottish incidents on 44 resulted in any kind of injury. Of the US well over half did. That suggests that either they are using different definitions of incident or Americans are really careless.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I didn't read it wrong at all.

I just did not correlate like you did. I only added that information because without the specific and current population data, the whole exercise is moot. Saying this point that percent of a nations population means bugger all to most people. Give it a real number, not a percentage, and people get the idea. That's all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join