It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manchester City Confirm Pep Guardiola for 2016-17 EPL season and onwards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The announcement come on the heals of current manager Manuel Pellegrini saying he wouldn't be manager at City next season.
Statement from Man City

"The contract is for three years. These negotiations were a re-commencement of discussions that were curtailed in 2012.

"Out of respect for Manuel Pellegrini and the players, the club wishes to make its decision public to remove the unnecessary burden of speculation.

"Manuel, who is fully supportive of the decision to make this communication, is entirely focused on achieving his targets for the season ahead and retains the respect and commitment of all involved with the leadership of the Club."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Manuel Pellegrini for the Villa

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Quite ridiculous that they can announce this in the middle of the season when they are still competing in all available trophies. Absolutely zero respect for their current manager.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

I agree but think Pellegrini forced their hand when he announced earlier he would no longer be City manager at the end of this season , he probably wanted to put himself in the shop window seeing as now he's now favourite for the Chelsea job.

It's a game of two halves and musical chairs.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: angryhulk

I agree but think Pellegrini forced their hand when he announced earlier he would no longer be City manager at the end of this season...

I think it may be the other way around as City announced they agreed a contract with Pep several weeks ago. I think the City manager forced them to make the announcement. I agree this was probably due to alert Chelsea of his availability.

I wonder what big names Pep may sign?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

From one easy Job (Team already in place) to another easy job (Team already in place).

I would like to see these TOP Managers take on a club further down the League just to show how good they are at managing!

for instance would Pep be able to take newcastle from relegation battle into top 4 in a few seasons?

Would Pelligrini be able to take Swansea into champs league?

Would Mourinho be able o take a team from Championship up to top 7 in prem every season?

All Pep has to do at City is buy a couple players to fit in with the rest and its job done.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Football managers tend to have their own team of back room training staff that go where they go , I think that's where most of the magic happens.
I think Pellegrini should come to Villa to see if he can take us to the Champions league.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Barcelona ---> Bayern Munich ---> Man City????

A mercenary manager for a team of mercenaries....

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

In fairness to Manuel Pelligrini he has worked at clubs in South America and did well with Villarreal before getting the Real Madrid job. Not only that he seems to be a man of integrity and has acted like a gentleman whilst at Man City.

Pep Guardiola may find the Premier League a bit more competitive than he's used to. In Spain 2 clubs tend to reign supreme with a challenger or two each season. In Germany Bayern have long been out in front and are by far the richest club in the Bundesliga. In England any team beat you when you aren't up for it.

Managers get far too much credit when teams do well and too much blame when they don't. Clubs tend to finish somewhere relative to their wage bill and spending power. But at the very top level the very top managers add that extra small percentage which can be the difference between a good team and a great team. They are able to massage the egos of prima donnas who play for these clubs whilst handling the pressure of the media spotlight. A big name manager can also attract big name players. That's why City have got their man.

top topics

join