It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit offering idiotic and potentially criminal self defense advice

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Forgot to say: the very phrase " potentially criminal self-defence" if you think about it, is wrong on so many levels it beggars belief.

How can defending yourself from an attacker be potentially criminal????

Did some one put a gun to the mofo' s head and Force him/ her to attack you/ attempt to rape you,etc?

No they got that bright idea into their own heads AND decided to act on it. To prey on you as if you are worth Nothing, like a predator. So if the intended victim fights back and fights back a bit too hard+ attacker- mofo ends up in the I CU or the morgue..well cry me a river.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I seem to be late to this party, and I'll say that you give a good rant.

But here's the reality of life--if you're in a life-threatening situation, anything and everything is a justified weapon in order to save yours, and I'll be damned if the possible threat of a lawsuit after the fact is going to stop me from doing everything that I can to save my life (and by extension, the life of my wife's husband and my children's father).

The few flaws that I find in your argument are mainly (a) your disdain and seeming disrespect for a karambit, and (b) your focus on implying that everyone who makes a comment about using whatever is at your disposal is an armchair martial arts expert because of YouTube.

Some of us actually train in things like Krav Maga, tactical gun training, tactical knife training (straight-blade and karambit), and other things like ground combatives (combative jiu jitsu) and "stick training" (eskrima/kali). When we comment on things, it shouldn't necessarily be dismissed--I'd love you see you take a karambit from me and jam it up my ass.

But you do make some very valid points, especially recognizing that a criminal with a knife is more dangerous than one with a gun, and that you point out the skill involved to effectively stab people (although you need no skill to stab soft tissue like the neck and abdominal area). You end the rant well, but in the middle, you make some comments that are suspect, imo.

Okay...off to my Krav class. I'll ask my instructor about how many people have jammed his karambit up his ass lately.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

edit on 1-2-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
hey im late to the party but heres my input.

being a pekiti guy I can say never disrespect any blade especially the karambit. that being said the karambit is a bad self defense tool because its not very dynamic on the force continuum it pretty much has only one setting ....lethal.

mcdojos. there's one on my corner the guy is teaching a different martial art every class, and he's doing nearly all of it wrong. fraud alert. his students will get seriously hurt if they follow his teachings outside of the studio.

I say the best self defense is situational awareness and body language. if you act like prey, you are prey.

following that counter offensive footwork to stay as safe as possible during the attack.

my personal opinion is weapons are relatively useless for self defense. if a person is ambushing you because they think you look like an easy mark chanced are you didnt see the pre incident indicators and now don't have time to fumble for a weapon. so pepper spray, stun guns, a knife or even a handgun are fairly useless unless you already have them deployed. and in that case you're walking around brandishing a weapon so that won't work out well when the cops drive by and youre walking down the street.

that being Said I usually carry a blade most of the time. better than not having one.

krav guy. just wanna talk shop for a second. you mentioned knife skills and broken arms. how do you Defang the snake in krav? guntings or something similar like in kali. also does krav have any tapi tapi drills or something similar for counter trapping and opponents weapon control.

also, in krav do they teach any offensive blade work?

just curious.
edit on 1-2-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I hate the mcdojos. About ten years ago I went to a "bjj" school my grappling club knew was total bs. I am a sambo judo guy only a blue belt in BJJ. Had no problem without takedowns destroying this "blackbelt". I was a serious competitor at the time but a bjj blackbelt is a wizard on the ground. I wasn't going full force. Two years later he opened a karate school for kids. It's as bad as a Nigerian banking scam. Really damaging if people think it will work in the world or competition.

Kali and Escrima etc are bar none the best knife guys out there. I thought I knew some stuff and man was I wrong. I don't know if you have used the taser knives but I was a mess at a tactical seminar. After about the 15th time getting popped my nerves were shot. I think krav does a good job but just not there yet. The guys I was at the seminar with were military trainers and going back to teach some stuff they learned. It's a good sign they want to evolve. I am not a krav guy but I have been to plenty of multi form seminars and demos.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: luthier

a reply to: greencmp

Can they do that with your medical records?

I don't like registration on accessible databases either.

Certainly there is an option to prevent that. I can't look up lots of records.

I am talking more about training courses. Being available for low cost to the public or through civil service. Training for teachers or students who want to carry.

What is scarier to a criminal than knowing the people with guns are also trained to respond with them under pressure?

As aself defense teacher I always say having a gun isn't enough. You need to take it to the range and shoot it regularly. There is a chance the criminal is a better shot than you of you don't.

Yes they can and I thank you for immediately making the connection. The ACA has required the collecting of digitized records from everybody. That should strike fear into our hearts.

I'm not sure that you are fathoming the gravity of that particular data breach.

Would you feel better to be known to all local criminals as belonging to either column A or column B?

Well I don't think the meth head gives a crap and they can use that info to wait until I leave and steal my guns so neither.

I get your point. I just don't see anything wrong with encouraging peoe to take courses making them available cheaply and having public service messages to get people to do it.

Hell 9 year olds know what ebt is from commercials. They could use that type of message for something positive.

I agree with training as long as it neither mandatory nor documented.

I completely agree!! With the training I have I still train on my ccw at least weekly, of course I have my own range. I am in the process of training my wife and daughter because I don't believe they are proficient enough to carry. They are completely safe and good marksmen but no trained to the level I would like to see.

I believe if a person is going to carry they should have enough responsibility to get highly proficient so as not to be a danger to themselves or others if they are in a situation where deadly force is required.

The training should be as you said not mandated and not tracked.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

This is a video on the best defense for a knife attack by an Aikido Master. It is a must watch for anyone facing a knife attack! Seriously! Especially if you don't know jack like the OP is saying.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen
a reply to: luthier

Lol you'd hate to be in a fight against me too. If you attack me with a knife, your arms are getting broken; I'd like to see someone stab me with broken arms.

Guns are a different story but I'm confident if it was life or death I could disarm them without taking one in the head, although I'd be prepared to take a bullet or two elsewhere.

A lot of it is also mental preparation, and also getting into the mind of your opponent.

---

I've seen it quite a few times...bullets DO NOT
Necessarily stop people...i've seen some take
A whole 30 clip and it didnt stop em at least
For those in the 9mm or less cals. Sometimes
ya just need a .45 to do the job.

For me, i prefer my dive knife as a PDW
(personal defense weapon)...it has the
high viz plastic casing so it looks like a
childs toy and no one notices what it is
Unless i use it to cut rope or fish lines.
But its there when i need it!

If you can swing it in your state, an
FN PS-90 has great accuracy and
decent Stopping power...it also looks
so unusual that if you paint it bright
green or yellow and put Hello Kitty
Stickers on it, people think it's a new
fangled Xbox or Wi Controller or
a nerf gun rather than a serious
PDW or CQC (Close Quarters Combat) system.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
My son is 9yo and today he starts kickboxing classes. He's being homeschooled and so misses out on mandatory PE. In summer here its not wise to run around outside because of the poisonous snakes,just the other day i had to kill an enormous Mozambiquan Spitting Cobra that came right into my house. We live some miles outside a very small town, so there's not a lot of choice of martial arts-but i figure kickboxing should be good enough for keeping him fit and in a manner that may one day save his life.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Kickboxing is good, if he has a decent instructor and enjoys it you'll be amazed at how quickly he picks it up.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I agree fully with the OP.

Another good way you can use a pencil to hurt someone is to write mean things about them on the bathroom wall, this works especially well if the person you are thrashing is a work colleague. I've reduced co-workers to tears using this technique.

You can also beat people using a newspaper by simply contacting the editor and making very serious allegations, they don't necessarily need to be true to inflict damage.

I'd never use either as an actual weapon in a battle, though...because I'd be thwarted. I have seen some people employ unusual weapons - I've seen several people being beaten with an umbrella, witnessed a few handbag attacks.

And who can forget that time when John Cleese beat the utter crap out of a car with a twig?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

In a life or death issue I was always told that it better if your attacker is the one dead. Hard to get sued by a corpse.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   

a reply to: ladyinwaiting

On point with the skewer. I mean in the moment you do what is necessary if your in danger but your right. "Deadly weapons" unless you are trained in them including firearms (maybe spread of shotgun being the exception) can easily be used against you.

Handguns take a considerable amount of training and constant reinforcement to be useful in a real situation with adranialine. Especially little concealed carry guns.

An alarm system is probably your best home defence with some wood closet doors that lock on the inside.

Your better off with a SBR or a shotgun in a house then a pistol. Pistol IS better if your trained and conditioned to use it. (SBR -- Short Barrel Riffle) Add a good light on it and you have better control then a pistol. Of course there are some issues with these also. 00 buck has a good knock down, but does go though walls more. Bird shot better on walls but not as much power.

Could always goo with the old rocksalt. Not much damage but a lot of pain

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Hence why I choose to teach people in person how to defend against knife/gun attacks instead of coaching them online.

I'm a black belt in Krav Maga and I teach anyone who asks me to learn, for free, but only in person.

Cool. I was taking some Wing Chun few years ago and loved it.

But you have to be careful who you get training from. Most Martial arts tend to train for competition and that can really hurt you if you use it and pull your attacks like you do in training. No points in real life.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Lol you'd hate to be in a fight against me too. If you attack me with a knife, your arms are getting broken; I'd like to see someone stab me with broken arms.

Guns are a different story but I'm confident if it was life or death I could disarm them without taking one in the head, although I'd be prepared to take a bullet or two elsewhere.

A lot of it is also mental preparation, and also getting into the mind of your opponent.

Only two types would attack you with a knife

1 an expert
2 an idiot.

And that goes for using one yourself from everything I've learned. Personally a knife would be the LAST thing I would use in a fight. I'd use it first to cut a branch off a tree to use. But that's just me.

OK maybe tie it to the end of the branch to make a spear, but...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I understand what you mean, and I agree that firearms are dangerous, period.

It's always better to avoid pulling out your firearm unless it's necessary because all that does is escalate the problem to where you're both pointing guns at each other's head.

I just don't want you to feel the wrath for something that I started that's all. I started it and I can take it in return; if someone has a different opinion then we can discuss it like rational people.

You should never draw a weapon without intending to immediately use it, it isn't a negotiating tool.

Just wanted to clarify that.

Very good rule.

I was always told to not pull it unless you are going to use it and don't use it unless you plan on the other guy never getting back up.

Always thought the idea of shooting to wound somebody was the dumbest idea in the world. But then again I was trained to shoot in the military.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Yep all those people falling off ladders and drowning in bathtubs are so bad..

You do know that accendent gun deaths in the US is about 15th place or about 1% of accidental death in the US?

1 Cars about 41% (~42,000 per year)
2. Poisoning about 15% (~39,000 per year)
3. Falls about 14% (~25,000 per year)
4. Fire about 4% (2,700 per year )
5. Choking about 4% (2,500 per year)
15 Guns less then 1% (600 per year)

You more likely to poison yourself fall down and get run over by a car then get shoot accidentally in the US.

In fact your MORE likey to get killed in a car accident then ANY gun related issue.

So ~600 accidental deaths out of 350,000,000 is astounding?

Any death is not a good thing, but I'm so tired of this game people try to play with guns. If you are so up on THINGS that people use to kill then work on banning cars, ladders and chemicals. They kill more far more people then guns do in a year.

On the other side of the coin I thing a gun safty class should be mandatory in every school. Even if you never want to have one or use one its good information to at least know what NOT to do. We force all the other mandatory "health and safty" classes why not one more.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

a reply to: greencmp

Can they do that with your medical records?

I don't like registration on accessible databases either.

Certainly there is an option to prevent that. I can't look up lots of records.

I am talking more about training courses. Being available for low cost to the public or through civil service. Training for teachers or students who want to carry.

What is scarier to a criminal than knowing the people with guns are also trained to respond with them under pressure?

As aself defense teacher I always say having a gun isn't enough. You need to take it to the range and shoot it regularly. There is a chance the criminal is a better shot than you of you don't.

Yes they can and I thank you for immediately making the connection. The ACA has required the collecting of digitized records from everybody. That should strike fear into our hearts.

I'm not sure that you are fathoming the gravity of that particular data breach.

Would you feel better to be known to all local criminals as belonging to either column A or column B?

Well I don't think the meth head gives a crap and they can use that info to wait until I leave and steal my guns so neither.

I get your point. I just don't see anything wrong with encouraging peoe to take courses making them available cheaply and having public service messages to get people to do it.

Hell 9 year olds know what ebt is from commercials. They could use that type of message for something positive.

I agree with training as long as it neither mandatory nor documented.[/quote

I think a firearms safety class should be mandatory. It should be taught in school along with all the other safety and health courses they teach kids. People are afraid of what they don't understand.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: StargateSG7

Yeh if you could pay for one. Those cost about $1400 used.

You can get the AR57 upper for about $800 and use any AR lower for it.

5.7 is a good round, but not cheap and you can't buy the good rounds anymore for it.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Thank you,we're just about to go in and about to meet him

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join