It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers get green light to genetically modify human embryos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Researchers get green light to genetically modify human embryos

Scientists have been given permission to genetically modify human embryos in the UK. The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority has, for the first time, approved a licence to use gene editing in research.

The scientists, who are searching for clues to what happens in the first seven days after fertilisation and want to investigate miscarriage, will not be able to implant the embryos into women.

A statement from the HFEA said: “Our licence committee has approved an application from Dr Kathy Niakan of the Francis Crick Institute to renew her laboratory’s research licence to include gene editing of embryos. The committee has added a condition to the licence that no research using gene editing may take place until the research has received research ethics approval. As with all embryos used in research, it is illegal to transfer them to a woman for treatment.”

Donated by couples with a surplus after IVF treatment, the embryos would be used for basic research only. They cannot legally be studied for more than two weeks or implanted into women to achieve a pregnancy.

I understand there are safeguards in place but to me this just seems a step closer to what we've been warned of in Sci-fi movies, TV-shows, Books etc over the past few decades of whats potentially just around the corner. "Designer Genes" Über kids/Soldiers

I have no doubt in my mind that some unethical "private research" is taking place somewhere in the world and when we read of these types of stories who knows if it helps those in the unregulated aspect of that field of science to further their research?

I suppose only time will tell.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I have to agree, welcome Gattaca.

Of course, the transitional period between natural humans and the modified types will be considered necessary and inevitable; hopefully it won't look too much like a class war.

Or maybe AI will outperform every human and it won't matter, hah.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Unless someone is considering bringing a life into the world, based on these modifications, I have no problem with the concept.

These experiments will have scientific and medical value which trumps most concerns about the research being done at all, and as I say, until someone tries to bring a baby into the world with a whole bunch of meddled with plumbing, I have no problem with it.

If that happens however, there will be hell and a half to pay.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Well, the UK has some pretty robust ethics around genetics and this general field.

Other countries are less streneous in their approach, especially where government is unaccountable, like in China.

China clone farms

While the West institute controls and whine on about Monsanto, China and other places have no qualms. Roll on the Chinese century.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

This study is only aiming to improve IVF by deactivating certain parts of the DNA code and then seeing if or which fertilized eggs will develop into embryos. There is no super human being created here, they are just trying to make IVF more succesful.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Yeah that's pretty much what I got from the article.

I'm always looking outside the box on matters such as these though.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I hope this researchers are not working in Monsanto as well. Because then my friends doomsday is very close.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I have no doubt in my mind that some unethical "private research" is taking place somewhere in the world

I'm with you, it creeps me out.

I have a suspicion that a lot of stuff is done under the radar with plausible deniability. I wouldn't be surprised to learn things are tested on human subjects before they're tested on human subjects, sick as that repeat sounds. I'm not much for crazy conspiracy theories, but I do think there are a lot of very dark things that go on under the radar. $ matters. Ethics and standards of care matter. Here. Kinda. Throw that nonsense out the window in certain places.

Places where you can buy a person for a few thousand $. Probably less. You don't even need to get all illegal, pay poor people in a certain area $5 USD a month to research a kid. Trying to help. I wouldn't know the difference between a relief worker and a company worker.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Maybe this is another way of saying that they are out of money, running the DUMPs (Deep Underground Military Prisons) where these DNA cross-breeds have been manufactured for decades.

Minatours, griffons, hydras, centaurs just like during the days of Atlantis. Here we go again.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Tristran

As strange as that idea sounds the thought did cross my mind a time or two while posting the story

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
On the bright side, they might be able to alter a gene that carries diabetes, or breast cancer, or blindness.

But I agree. There is an ethical equation to consider. Just because we can do it, should we?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Read this this morning, not too sure its a great idea myself. may be for IVF treatments now but in a few years time what will it be for? Altering dna makeup of Humans!!

Seriously... playing God will be our downfall.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

This is a conspiracy site and all

*ahem*

Dusts of foil hat...

Who knows if this wasn't why the "Greys" that some believe are "us" from the future there were simply coming back in time before we screwed ourselves up genetically to get clean samples of DNA to repair the work we are now foolishly playing around with.

Takes foil hat off....

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

And I have a bridge to sell you...

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

As in the days of Noah...People are playing around and messing with things
that should never be messed with in the first place.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I can imagine ATS posts many years from now

Monsanto and GMHs (genetically modified humans) will be all the rage....

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Unless someone is considering bringing a life into the world, based on these modifications, I have no problem with the concept.

These experiments will have scientific and medical value which trumps most concerns about the research being done at all, and as I say, until someone tries to bring a baby into the world with a whole bunch of meddled with plumbing, I have no problem with it.

If that happens however, there will be hell and a half to pay.

Actually, I'd like to see what they could come up with.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Pope Francis Said to Bless Human-Animal Chimeras
A scientist sought the Vatican’s approval for mixing human cells in animal embryos. And the Pope said yes.
www.technologyreview.com...

After reading up on this, it seems science has taken this much further than they are letting on.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

I'm always looking outside the box on matters such as these though.

I guess the embryos are 'outside the box' too...

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

This is a conspiracy site and all

*ahem*

Dusts of foil hat...

Who knows if this wasn't why the "Greys" that some believe are "us" from the future there were simply coming back in time before we screwed ourselves up genetically to get clean samples of DNA to repair the work we are now foolishly playing around with.

Takes foil hat off....

I havn't heard that one.

I have of course read and heard about the Sumerians (Aliens). You aren't referring to the Sumerians when you say 'the greys'?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join