It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artist/Writer's Block, How do you all beat it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There are tons of mood music videos on youtube. If you're writing a battle scene or an enchanting scene, a sad part or happy part, it's all there. Sit and listen and you may be inspired. It helps me.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Hello, student of a private art college here!

I only glimpsed at the other replies, but a lot of them focused on writing. I have a phenomenal screenwriting class and getting over a writing slump is a totally different than getting over a drawing one. So I'll focus on drawing.

Honestly, I absolutely hate the term "art block". Because art block doesn't exist.

Do you ever hear successful, professional artists moan about "art block"?? No, you dont. Most get up every day and draw their arms off regardless of how they feel because, frankly, they need to eat and/or cant survive without producing. I know that's really harsh, but if you're serious about this, these are the people you'll be competing with in 5 or 10 years or less depending on your skill level.

But some tips to get over this illusion of art block that many beginners/hobbyists feel like they're under:

- Draw something new / Widen your visual vocabulary: draw something outside your comfort zone. Chances are you're stuck because you have ideas, but lack the vocabulary to express them accurately.

- Experiment with mediums: You shouldnt substitute fundamentals with fancy tools, but maybe you're using markers but you'd click with paints if you just tried them, etc.

- Watch movies / Read books, comics / Visit museums: The more you surround yourself with master work, the more it will rub off on you. (NOT in a copying/plagiarism way. Dont do that.)

- Observation and Studies: this kind of goes along with widening your visual vocabulary, but with a focus on developing technique and observational drawings. It usually doesn't take a lot of creativity if you do them in your sketchbook aka you should be able to do them even though this "art block" is affecting you + you'll learn a lot. Win win.

- Dont compare yourself to others, compare yourself to the person (artist) you were yesterday: Enough said.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I suffered from the illusion of art block for all my high school life and I wasted a lot of precious time and opportunities. Dont let that happen to you, regardless of your age!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join