It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you want to leave this page ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
is it possible to add a :

" do you really want to leave this page ? "

script to ATS pages where the member has an open reply or compse thread box with text in it

farce book manages this

i am NOT talking about the spammy crap that some commercial pages pull to attempt to syop you leaving a page without aditional effort

but when you have multiple tabcs open and are attempting to use other tabs to source citations and quotes of external content

its all to easy to inavdertantly back space or close tab on the tab you have the thread // reply in

i know i should be more carefull - and i often use word for composing important threads // replies - but still

what say you - ATS management ?

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I like that a lot!! I have made a mis-hit on many sites where I was typing, including here and lost everything I typed.

Excellent idea!

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

You have no idea what script executes when you click a dialog box in a browser so, absolutely not.

I recommend force quitting whenever you encounter that, I actually stopped using Monster and Dice for doing it though, I checked the other day and Dice seems to have removed it.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I write all my posts in Notepad++, whether it's for ATS or other places I frequent.
Often I'll have a reply or post box open so I can get pieces of BB code or preview something.

After it's all done I just copy-paste, preview how it looks and submit.
That's my solution anyway, but I get what you're saying and I agree it would be a nice feature.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

You have no idea what script executes when you click a dialog box in a browser so, absolutely not.

I recommend force quitting whenever you encounter that, I actually stopped using Monster and Dice for doing it though, I checked the other day and Dice seems to have removed it.

A dialog box on a trusted website when you have a good antivirus? Oh course you do.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

I write all my posts in Notepad++, whether it's for ATS or other places I frequent.
Often I'll have a reply or post box open so I can get pieces of BB code or preview something.

After it's all done I just copy-paste, preview how it looks and submit.
That's my solution anyway, but I get what you're saying and I agree it would be a nice feature.

Oh my, I give you props for being articulate and prepared. most people do not do that though.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
It is also good for when you reply to a topic and then decide you don't want to be involved, might be easier than refreshing. Would leave you in the topic but whatever you started typing disappears or you end up at home page or new. Whichever is easiest.
edit on 31-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: reldra

A dialog box on a trusted website when you have a good antivirus? Oh course you do.

As long as you inspect the page source before executing it, yes.

link   

But, of course, in most cases you can't if the dialog catches you by surprise.

It is best to compose outside of the browser anyway to avoid pushing pre-post keystrokes through.
edit on 31-1-2016 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Well, I learned quickly after losing a long post not once, but twice in a row one time.

I only do it for lengthy posts though. Not much point in doing it for something I can retype in 2 minutes should something happen.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink
a reply to: reldra

Well, I learned quickly after losing a long post not once, but twice in a row one time.

I only do it for lengthy posts though. Not much point in doing it for something I can retype in 2 minutes should something happen.

True, good idea. I do that sometimes when i have multiple sources....I do like my sourcing haha.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   

But, of course, in most cases you can't if the dialog catches you by surprise.

It is best to compose outside of the browser anyway to avoid pushing pre-post keystrokes through.

True, mainly, but if it was from here and always identifiable as from here, I would like it.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
You could do this if you close an open tab

Recently Closed Tabs from the drop-down menu. You can select individual tabs or you can Restore All Tabs. Press Ctrl + Shift + T to open the most recently closed tab. Repeatedly selecting Reopen closed tab, or pressing Ctrl + Shift + T, will open previously closed tabs in the order they were closed

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Happened so much lately.
A very good idea!
If you press the reply button, set a boolean var to true.
I´m not sure if it works on the back button, though.

On the other hand, let´s fix all those bugs first.
I´ve supplied bugfixes for at least 6 bugs, 8 months ago or so.
Yet, nothing happens. The million star bug for example.
I´ve found out the reason and gave instructions to fix it.
Nothing happens.
The bug where text disappears when you write the wrong char.
I gave instructions to fix it.
Nothing happens.

et cetera et cetera.

a reply to: mymymy
All good. But it does not restore your text in the textfield.

edit on 31-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

You trust ats whenever you give someone a star. It´s the same.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

True but, having the interactive dialog allows you conceal just how extensive the script is to an unwitting user. Otherwise it would be occurring much more frequently in an embedded control presenting a lag in execution that would presumably be more noticeable.

Of course, the initial execution of the page itself could do it too.

Generally, my antennae go up with user supplied content sites so I find it suspicious for any task that isn't specifically intended to interact with the local filesystem, such as the uploader.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The script would be a simple

if(replyWasClicked)
[
show message box()

switch (message box return value)

case "stay":
break;

case "leave":
jmp to place the script activated and let user leave
]

but it´s not a fault to be aware of the pitfalls, you are right with that.
edit on 31-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Yup, these days I'm just glad there isn't any java.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I dislike java-script. However, I doubt it will be integrated. I´ll be very surprised if so, because there is certainly enough work laying around for SO.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
is it possible to add a :

" do you really want to leave this page ? "

script to ATS pages where the member has an open reply or compse thread box with text in it

farce book manages this

i am NOT talking about the spammy crap that some commercial pages pull to attempt to syop you leaving a page without aditional effort

but when you have multiple tabcs open and are attempting to use other tabs to source citations and quotes of external content

its all to easy to inavdertantly back space or close tab on the tab you have the thread // reply in

i know i should be more carefull - and i often use word for composing important threads // replies - but still

what say you - ATS management ?

I second this motion, not everyone is an expert user and this suggestion would help many posters who would like to contribute more.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join