It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone video shot from Tikaboo Peak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

I'm not so sure they are on the peak itself, but maybe in the area right before you take the large steps to get to the peak.

Also note seeing the base at this resolution is an act of imagination more than observation. I don't think hauling a drone up the peak is any substitute for hauling a telescope and tripod.

I would have shot video of the Tikaboo spy tower if I had a drone, though Glen did a good job with a knock-off GoPro and a long piece of PVC.

What would be more interesting is shooting drone video of the hike up the peak.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
flagg

we shouldn't talk about this outloud.....

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   
How far could you walk in the general forward direction view of the mountains in that video before it becomes restricted area?

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

I wonder how much this video had to to with the "No Drones" signs popping up around the perimeter of the base recently.

Not the best video, but a pretty view.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: gariac
www.youtube.com...

I would have shot video of the Tikaboo spy tower if I had a drone, though Glen did a good job with a knock-off GoPro and a long piece of PVC.

Not questioning what you say gariac but can you provide any more info on Glenn and his go pro .. Never heard about this

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Oh my god , when I read the title, and I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of it using these drones is a great way to get close up images of archeological sites that are otherwise inaccessible. What a great thread to start.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

www.youtube.com...

Not questioning what you say gariac but can you provide any more info on Glenn and his go pro .. Never heard about this

Well I found the PVC at the weather station. I just didn't know what it was doing there. Someone told me a camera was attached to the end of the PVC to make the videos Glen provided, but I don't have first hand knowledge of this.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

www.youtube.com...

Well I found the PVC at the weather station. I just didn't know what it was doing there. Someone told me a camera was attached to the end of the PVC to make the videos Glen provided, but I don't have first hand knowledge of this.

If you force yourself to watch his other video's, he has "invented" a steady cam with pieces of PVC pipe and a paint roller. If you watch his Tikaboo video again, you can tell that's how he got his shots of the "weather station". Also, I recognize the knock-off GoPro because I own 4 of them

Spring 2016, I MAY attempt to haul my drone up Tikaboo.
edit on 31-1-2016 by FosterVS because: out-of-shape-disclaimer

edit on 31-1-2016 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

A more interesting target would be Bald Mountain. I have a shot of it from a helicopter, but the photo isn't to be released. (Long story) But Bald Mountain has a bit of nuance to it that could can't seen from the ground based telescope shots. Plus you would probably be able to get the pan/tilt/zoom on Bald Mountain on video tracking the drone.

The thing about Tikaboo is you need to armour-up whatever you haul to the peak. So you need to make the drone backpack-able. There are spots in the hike where branches will poke and snag things.

GPS route on this page if you do decide on Tikaboo.
inplanesight.org...
You can use a quad safely on what passes for a road. That is you park your truck at a reasonable location then use the quad on the road leading to the trail head. Some people actually drive to the trail head, but they have also dropped axles and sustained other damage. Using the quad will save about a mile off the hike, though granted it is the easiest part of the hike.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
How far could you walk in the general forward direction view of the mountains in that video before it becomes restricted area?

You haven't been forgotten. Rather this is a tricky question.

If you are on Tikaboo and viewing directly south, the restricted range is
6.170 kilometers/ 3.834 miles away.

Now looking in the direction of the base, most of what you see is free territory because you are so far away. I picked a spot on the border in the general direction of the base and computed 32.070 kilometers/19.928 miles.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

You can use a quad safely on what passes for a road. That is you park your truck at a reasonable location then use the quad on the road leading to the trail head. Some people actually drive to the trail head, but they have also dropped axles and sustained other damage. Using the quad will save about a mile off the hike, though granted it is the easiest part of the hike.

totally agree, I wasn't sure what the video producer ment about driving a quad up the mountain... that last little bit to the trail head perhaps. it looked very rough for even a 4x4, we never risked it.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: hiii_98

totally agree, I wasn't sure what the video producer ment about driving a quad up the mountain... that last little bit to the trail head perhaps. it looked very rough for even a 4x4, we never risked it.

There is a quad trail to the right of the hiking trail heading up the mountain. Sometimes the quad is on the hiking trail, which is why it is so chewed up in places.

Looking at the topo map, you could take a longer route that is suitable for a quad. The trail would start way before the road to Tikaboo gets narrow, basically climbing the spine of the hill with the first summit. But using a quad on the hiking trail is nuts.

I met some guys coming down on a quad, claiming to be Texas cops. There were two on the quad. One guy said they rolled a quad on a previous trip.

Regarding these guys saying they were cops, I did notice one year that the yellow caution tape was actually "Police Line Do Not Cross" tape from Galls. Presumably "borrowed" from work.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
its hard to tell if there were any bases in the shot but i kind of believe it since there would be a no fly zone and being too close would get you in trouble. cool video.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: supermilkman
its hard to tell if there were any bases in the shot but i kind of believe it since there would be a no fly zone and being too close would get you in trouble. cool video.

Tikaboo is well out of the no fly zone. But as far as seeing the base, a drone there is pretty useless. A drone would be fine to document the hike.

new topics

top topics

join