It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My observations of Harlem's political climate.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
So

I have taken up a second job that has become my primary job. I now work in marketing. The company I work for specializes in campaign and petition type services. We are currently working on a campaign for a candidate to be included on the NY ballot for the presidential elections. We are gathering signatures to include his name on the NY ballot. He is currently on 47 state ballots.

This job sends me to every corner of NYC and beyond. I just started so I am still paying my dues by hitting the bricks. Its a good job that pays VERY well and I am really freaking good at it. This makes me feel brave yesterday and today so I head into Harlem.

I am so embarrassed I came in with preconceptions. I thought I knew Harlem. I did not. It is so much more.

This thread is a huge shout out to Harlem. What a great community. In all of NYC, you will not find such sincere, more polite people. You will not find so well rounded and informed people in all of NYC.

I had great conversations, the likes of which were not possible in other areas. I went to ultra rich areas that fit my campaign. I went to poor Hispanic areas that fit. I went everywhere, Welfare offices, hospitals, everywhere in the 5 boroughs and I spoke to EVERYBODY.

Harlem with its predominantly black population was the only area I went to where I felt a common air of intelligent, honest and true thought. The gnosis of Harlem goes beyond politics and human nature into a level of civic understanding of duty worthy of great leaders. I am sorry our first black president didnt come from Harlem.

I love Harlem for holding it down. They know their rights, american politics, who is who and what is what, sure. They also have a very honorable understanding of civic duty that affords those rights, shapes all political levels, as well as decides who is who and what is what. Its NYC's best. There are also the passionate ones, but they are POLITE. I may have been another cracker with a clip board talking politics in Harlem to some, but everyone treated me like fine human beings. Harlem mothers must be proud.

I also met a nice communist girl advocating for an armed communist revolution in the USA. LOL We cut the fat for a while, it was a cool conversation. Her protest group seemed nice. They had awesome signs. I got invited to a meeting on Sunday. If I was single and less set to my leanings I would go. We could eat fruit laying naked next to each other as we talk about life, ideas and love. Sigh. No FBI watch list for me though. LOL

Harlem has it all. Its a massive political /theological school built around subways and busy street vendors. Very cool.

edit on 1 30 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Awesome ,Harlem is where ppl stood on soap boxes and argue points for generations, glad you enjoyed the richness of that community.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I don't know which part of Harlem you've been to OP, but going by crime stats alone I'd say they're far from being civic understandable in Harlem. The poor Hispanic areas (predominantly Puerto Rican) are almost like the end of civilization.

As far as anything political goes...Rangel and Sharpton have their most supporters in Harlem. That says enough.

2 years ago, I managed a large residential complex up there (Riverton Square)....we all knew to be long gone before it got dark out. Just saying.
edit on 30-1-2016 by mikeone718 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join