It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mechwarrior Online

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Anyone playing this game?

I played at release/beta and it was mehish.

Years go by and I still have an itch for Mechwarrior. So I download again and fire it up.

It's not so bad once you figure out what it is they want you to do. Apparently you need 3 variants of a mech to level up the skills to master level. once done you sell off the two less fav variants...

or at least thats what i'm doing?

My only gripe is that mech can get pricey if using real cash, which I refuse to do, cuz I'm a mechwarrior, and I got the skills that gets the c-bills...

well like 100-300k a pop... still grindish.

But I've been enjoying it.

Curious if any mech fans here?

ohyeah they've added commuity/faction warfare, seems like it could have potential as it is still in beta

mwomercs.com... link if you got no idea wtf i am talking about

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I loved Mechwarrior 2. Got it in a GoldGames edition, back in 1998.
No handbook either ^^
edit on 30-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I was so addicted I had to go in for treatment in the late 90's.. . and had to play in wireframe 'cause my machine couldn't handle the "graphics" heh, but it fell off my RADAR, so thanks for the heads up... something has to replace Fallout 4 eventually.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yeah I really miss the older games tried to install mw4mercs but the controls were bleh.

MWO feels really fluid. Just wish there was more than online only, however its fun to join a clan and do the faction warfare.

MW2Mercs was amazing, I remember trying to play it on Kali.net with a 56k modem. Good times.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
What was that game with smaller "mechsuits?" I'm blanking? I remember "skating" around in a virtual killing suit in groups in an open world .. .very like Mechwarrior but slightly different.. . smaller weapons that weren't mounted on the suits... I could just be going senile, and maybe it simply was Mechwarrior with a smaller mech variety, but any help?

Anyway, it is a blast and I'll try this version out.. .as long as it can run in Vista, or xbox1, that is... heh.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
What was that game with smaller "mechsuits?" I'm blanking? I remember "skating" around in a virtual killing suit in groups in an open world .. .very like Mechwarrior but slightly different.. . smaller weapons that weren't mounted on the suits... I could just be going senile, and maybe it simply was Mechwarrior with a smaller mech variety, but any help?

Anyway, it is a blast and I'll try this version out.. .as long as it can run in Vista, or xbox1, that is... heh.

Are you thinking of Tribes?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bovah2
Could be! That didn't sound right but as I rolled it around the empty brain it started to... so thanks, even if not!

I remember suits like Starship Trooper ... and you could go into "roller skate rocket" mode and tear around, lobbing missiles or sniping... Tribes might be it, or certainly something similar... it's a common game theme, after all.

Anyway, it was a blast too.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
We used to play games when you had to dial up your friend over modem. LAN only games. The com packages were such crap that we would use one game to connect and play a different game. The phone company kept having to replace a relay we would burn up near my friends house. It was a blast. People today do know how difficult it was to play an multi-player game. I am going to check out MW Online. I used to play the original MW.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

heh, I look forward to the retirement homes where us ancient gamers will be hooked in, wrapped in depends and getting IV redbull...

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I'm going in. Hope i have enough disk space left on the ssd. I haven't played in years, hopefully it will be as good as the original.

Edit: 4 GB remaining after the patch. Wahhhh its gonna take 30 minutes

edit on 1/30/2016 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The boardgame was awesome our whole platoon in germany played squads taking over cities in the dayroom. Its an interesting sci fi universe. The new video game looks amazing.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Starsiege tribes, not very good but had a massive following, Starsiege which was a completely different game was a mech warrior clone that had a story something similar to red faction but was mech based, the mechs in starsiege (not tribes) were supposedly industrial machinary from the mars colony's retrofitted with weapon's and to add spice they find a stash of alien technology, cue more advanced mech's while they fight against the earth forces for independance.

Unlike Starsiege which like the early mechwarrior games was more of a LAN game or single player story based Starsiege Tribes was both lan and internet, very dated now but they certainly inspired many of the more up to date game's.

Starsiege was more like powersuit's than mech's as well but in that respect they were much more like the power armour in Fallout 4 but far more powerful, some flying, high speed and of course like you say normal hand held weapon's rather then the weapons on the mech's.

edit on 30-1-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The only mech games I play are ones that are more mobile. Mechwarrior while cool is kind of meh!

To me at least, I played it once so many years ago and I just felt like I was strapped into a walking target that could not outmaneuver a turtle. You may be armed to the teeth in that game, but your also a sitting duck. I could have used a decal paint mode in that game, so that way I could have painted a big bright and shiny target on the back of my mech.

If a mech cant move then I consider it not only a bad game, but a bad design. I was hoping for a new ZOE game, but that may not be happening for a long time. And the only other mech game I play is Armored Core its production just has not been keeping up. But I think both games may be redone some time in the future.

Cant stand slow moving mech games. I even consider this in Armored Core not that maneuverable, even though a mech like they have in Armored Core would run circles in anything anything from Mechwarrior games. It is still a bit to slow for my tastes.

This was the last mech game I played. I seriously doupt I would be able to go back to any mechwarrior games. Not unless they do some serious changes to the gameplay mechanics.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
There has been a shortage of mech games for a long time. Somebody should do a new mech game out there, or completely redo mechwarior game, but the game is so iconic that its not likely they will do any major changes to the old formula.

I cant really think of one newer mech game right now for the new systems or the PC. But watching vids on the old Armored Core 4 answer game, I remember now how it was really a sleeper hit, probably one of the best mech games out there. If I didnt sell it years ago, I am definitely thinking of replaying, can also probably pick it up for 5 dollar now a days if I find it.

As far as mech games go, if anybody is interested, and can find this game anywhere should definitely quench your mech and giant robot action cravings, even though its pretty old by now its still not outdated, even in the graphics department, it was definitely one of the more original games out there as well.

This dude is doing the final to last mission with blades only, I remember that was a pain with projectile weapons, cannon, missiles and what not, much less blades only.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Yeah the "good old times". You have a problem if you want to tell your friend the IP adress but you´re dialed up via modem xD. So I drove to him and gave him the ip adress so we could play ^^.

Ah I see you used direct dial up. What games did you play back then?
edit on 31-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Oh, anything we could get our hands on. Pax Imperia, several fighter games we dog fighted in. I got an F16 joystick (programmable) and he couldn't beat me. Later Ultima Online became a time destroyer. We actually ran a game server for a couple of years at the security company he owns. It has been so long I don't recall the game titles that well.

edit on 31/1/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

MWO might be worth another shot, theres been changes to the physics of the game.

It's not a game you can rambo on, you will die if you get caught alone. I play light mechs a lot, the artic cheetah has like 6 jump jets and goes 129kph. I've wrecked Assault mechs in by circling behind them and out maneuver their turn speed.

Theres tactical elements and team work is a must.

Armored Core was fun but imo its more of an action game than say a mech-sim.

Plus its got Gundam style ninja flying robots, I personally prefer 1980s battletech mechs over the gundam style.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Really I wanted Mechwarrior 5, not MWO.

edit on 31-1-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I have no problem with the game per say. Its just like I said, you cant play that game and think that your basically sitting in a target both.

I mean the mechs are armored and armed to the teeth, but its hard to overlook the fact that in real life and even in a videogame a small maneuverable tank can take out any of those bypedal walking behemoths with ease. Not to mention to something like a jet fighter its a sitting duck.

It was something I could never get into because it just felt clunky and needless. Armored Core may be more action oriented, but even armored core mechs thought there both based on more fantasy then anything, there videogames after all. But as weapon systems no matter if based on reality or not mechwariors just dont cut it for me. I keep thinking of that scene in star wars were a fighter wraps a metal cord around a walkers legs and...Timber. Really that's all it would take.

If they added a shield system like Armored Core maybe it would be more believable, basically and in armored core. Your shield system is your primary armor, you can sock up missiles and bullets and whatever else while its on, but once depleted a stray missile hit will KO you fast, ie in a second one or two shoots, after all even the most hard and absorbent metal can only take so much. Its hard to take serious any giant slow walking bipedal tanks, like I said in any scenario a fast moving ground vehicle with heavy arms attached to it should technically take it down with ease while running circles around it.

But you know to each there own.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Found this video to be humorous, 12 man Atlas rush. Plus I love the voice this guy does.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join