It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will your Humanity get you killed in a planet-wide survival situation?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

You definitely live up to your user name, AmericanRealist. You certainly don't pull any punches.

Hey, I am only going by documented history here.
True. And the longer this scenario continues, the more conflict and war we will experience. Even now, in areas where the rule of law is thin, various strongmen arise to take control.

One other mechanism that appears in history is the use of slaves. Slavery was common phenomena until only the last few centuries. When you lose members of your community in war, it will be necessary to acquire slaves to replace them in the workforce. Slaves don't have to be treated too humanely, their consumption of resources need be only enough to keep them alive. Using slaves in food and energy production, the basics of survival, allows the citizens of the group to concentrate on other areas of survival, preparing for war, and improving the group's ability to acquire other resources.

Note that in this sense, slaves will not necessarily be of any particular race. It will be necessary to mark them so that their status is obvious. Possibly using a tattoo or branding of some sort.

Until some societal norms are reestablished between groups, our sense of "humanity" will eventually regress to that of the Stone Age. Though technology itself likely won't be quite that primitive.

-dex

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Yes it is true, slavery may become common place once again. I did not really want to bring that up, because well lets be honest, I doubt anyone here can even imagine a world where that happens again (even though it still exists today) and would be unwilling to entertain the thought. I would like to believe I would not go that route, but if I were in scenario 3, the community probably already has them.

So people, how #ty do we all feel about SHTF now huh? Not so romantic anymore is it??

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join