It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What fundamental "things" should People know how to do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Sometimes we use our voices to speak to other people, and have conversations, and make deals with others.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
with how adaptive humanns are...not sure what we need to know how to do. Empathize with others?

What it means to be human isn't the items we manipulate, but rather the toolkit that allows us to manipulate those items. To that end, empathizing and servicing others is necessary to built the social bonds that a human group needs.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: Ghost147

Survival is critical, for sure, but let us not forget our humanity in our quest to survive.

Survival as a group perhaps, but lets say -hypothetically- that there is some situation where a large population is suddenly in 'survival mode'. Humanity goes out the window. It is entirely expendable. Survival, instinctually is you and you alone

It's why I put Social and Person/Biological Knowledge second in the list of priorities.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: VP740

Manual typewriters? Think of when there is zero power. You want to type?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Glad to see another Heinlein fan!!

That list has pretty much been my goal since I read "Time Enough For Love". I can do all but a few.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Humanity is most important in that hypothetical scenario.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Good read!

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

And if you find yourself in a situation of being truly alone to survive?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Bartering skills are a must.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Humanity is most important in that hypothetical scenario.

It would depend on the specifics of that hypothetical scenario. Humanity can more than often get you killed if there is some kind of global issue where everyone is surviving. The less emotionally attached you are to others, the more likely you'll survive.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Manual typewriters? Think of when there is zero power. You want to type?

Why would there be zero power? Are these fundamental things people should know in a zombie apocalypse? Skills that are rarely used are not fundamental. I know how to build animal traps, but I've never had to build any animal trap.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

A man only site! I bet there are a few men here who would like that.
I have learned to shoot a gun,can foods,plant a garden,sew,cook,clean,
bake and not panic when something happens.I still have a lot to learn.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I've gotten by without being able to make fire so far (if you mean without matches). I can easily imagine things going down, but the skills needed to survive that environment are none trivial. As far as practical merit goes, I think it best for the average person to deal with the reality at hand; to build on what has been achieved so far. If a nuke comes down on your head, all you invested in other skills is lost anyway.

Non practical pursuits certainly can have merit for those who desire to pursue them; but that may involve hunting and fishing, music, chess, or even video games.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I wonder what essential skills of today will be forgotten by future generations.

It is apparent that some were already forgotten or never learned.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

True, when I want to make a good presentation I will type. Cursive certainly doesn't guarantee beauty and clarity. My wife's notes are sometimes indecipherable to me. I'd prefer to see clearly typed messages than little scribbled notes.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Humans are adaptable.

But, as part of what is intrinsically means to be human...building strong social bonds is one of the key traits.

All the other stuff listed here is interesting, and very true. But rather than just say "A human absolutely should know how to build fire" (another key trait), i have just tried to provide an alternate viewpoint.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Admittedly, it is an aesthetic skill, and a matter of taste on my part, but writing in one form or another has been around for thousands of years. To lose that seems dreadful.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Change a tire. Check fluids on a car. Think. Garden. Preserve and can food. Hunt. Cleaning your kill and butchering. Also things that are no longer done because of technology has made them "useless". What happened in New York back in the early 2000's showed that the power grid isn't invulnerable. If it went down permanently a lot of people would be so screwed because they don't know basic survival skills.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Humans are adaptable.

But, as part of what is intrinsically means to be human...building strong social bonds is one of the key traits.

All the other stuff listed here is interesting, and very true. But rather than just say "A human absolutely should know how to build fire" (another key trait), i have just tried to provide an alternate viewpoint.

There is a lot of truth to this.

I have often said that it is not what you know but who you know and what you can offer in return.

To give an example of this two friends and myself were once discussing the SHTF breakdown of society. One of us is a builder/joiner/mad inventor who can make anything. Another is a hunter and forager, a true outdoors man. The third is able to cook food from nothing and has a good engineering/scientific background.

As individuals we all lack certain skills but the three of us together make a pretty formidable team.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Admittedly, it is an aesthetic skill, and a matter of taste on my part, but writing in one form or another has been around for thousands of years. To lose that seems dreadful.

It's a gigantic threat to erudition too. The presumption being that one who cannot write in cursive cannot read it.

That pretty much excludes our children from ever pursuing their own avenues of research with any degree if independence denying them access to most of recorded history, no apocalypse necessary.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join