It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What fundamental "things" should People know how to do?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
In my restlessness last night, I surfed the net and stumbled across various subjects of interest, but one in particular caught my attention.

A "man only" site where debating on what makes a man and what things are a "must" that men need know how to do, leaving woman "things" out of the question.

It was most interesting in that it became clear of the changing times from 80 years ago to todays times.

Do we now NEED to know how to properly cover a wagon? Probably not.

To quote Robert Heinlein, who embraced both sexes:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

So, I pose the question here: What fundamental things should people know how to do?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Recognize the benefits of the division of labor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Heinlein but, he wasn't an economist.

A well rounded mundane education is essential for autarkic existence but, it is just the foundation upon which we build our societal contributions.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Hunt, defend themselves, cook, make fire, build shelter, read, growing food, natural remedies, tie a knot (the old man can do all of those "boy scout" type knots and I am clueless)...just a couple off of the top of my head...

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Write a check for the things others can do better. I don't see a huge problem with specialization.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I can kind of only speak for the things that I have done in my own life that I feel are fundamental.

-Martial arts
-proper cooking methods
-raising children (builds patience and sympathy)
-weapons training/hunting
-surveillance/tracking
-how to build a shelter

The list goes on..

Above all else, know who you are and what makes you strong.
edit on 30-1-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Depends on the society and environment. For example, knowing how to ice fish is useless in the desert. But I'll play along because I like stuff like this. This list of the most vague version I can come up with. I'll answer more specifically if you give a more specific example of "fundamental things to know in a specific culture or environment".

1. Knowing how to deal with failure. No matter where you are, this coping skill will make life infinitely easier.

2. Teamwork; as in, knowing how to delegate, organize, take orders, compromise, and follow orders.

3. Knowing how to admit fault. It's hard to trust someone who can't admit when he/she is wrong.

4. Foraging. This is easy to become good at, but impossible to master. But knowing about nature and the qualities of the things you find in nature can be the difference between life & death in too many situations to count. Many times, people starve when there's edible vegetation around them. Or they suffer from a rash when there's a cure in the roots of a plant nearby.

5. The basics of first aid. Foraging with help with this, as will faith (placebo effect). But still, you'll need to know how to deliver a baby (!!!), set a bone, close and dress a wound, etc.

6. How to laugh & make others laugh, even if it's by being lame. Laughter is one of the easiest stress relievers and tools for bonding that humans have. I don't think this is by accident. We're a social species, so anything that can improve the social bonds within a group are vital tools.

7. Self defense. All people need to know how to defend themselves. This isn't just limited to human vs human, though.

8. How to make a basic shelter. Every environment provides different materials & obstacles, so the type of shelter is completely dependent on that.

9. How to make a fire.

10. How to make basic utensils, even if just from rocks, wood, and clay.

11. How to sew, weave, and tie knots. You don't have to master a hundred different ways; just find a way that works and get good with it.

12. And last, creativity. You'd be surprised what people can do with mud, clay, water, and a lot of free time lol. Or with branches and a bunch of rocks. Or with different colored leaves and plant fibers.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

These are actually pretty good.

I would say that fundamental knowledge and skills should coincide with a number of variables.

The only fundamental knowledge that any given person should possibly know is survival skills and basic medical skills. Even then, that knowledge would still be specific for their geographical local.

1) Above all, basic Survival skills and basic medical practices should be known by all.
~ Knowledge of edible plants/animals in their respective locations
~ How to build a short term and long term shelter
~ How to make a fire without modern tools
~ How to trap/cook wild animals
~ How to find clean water and treat it
~ Which plants in that location can be used for medicinal purposes
~ How to tend to various wounds and injuries without modern products
~ How to make tools from resources around you

2) Social and personal/biological knowledge
~ Recognizing emotions and how to act towards them
~ How to give orders
~ How to take orders
~ How to comfort others
~ How to recognize a devious individual
~ How and when to act alone
~ Knowledge as to how your body reacts to particular stresses (excessive work/temperature/social situations)
~ How to increase critical thinking
~ How to fight
~ How to care for a child
~ How to care for another person that is ill/dying

3) Knowledge and preventative measures within your respective society (List is subject to change depending on the common challenges faced in your location)
~ What the minimum cost of living is
~ How to cut down costs of living even further (without making it uncomfortable)
~ Personal Financial Management
~ Knowledge of the roads within your city/town
~ Knowledge of 'dangerous areas' within your city/town.
~ Knowledge of emergency numbers within your city/town
~ Knowledge of laws within your city/town/province/state/country

Again, there is no ONE thing that everyone should know, except for the very basic principles of survival. Everything else is subject to change depending on society around you, and your individualistic quality of life
edit on 30/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Sound point. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Survival is critical, for sure, but let us not forget our humanity in our quest to survive.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: VP740

You cannot fathom a world where you must, eventually, use your own self to rely upon? Checks and cash make good kindling but for a moment. You need to be able to create fire.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I think the list does change with time, because changes in technology cause things to drop out of the list.
When I was young, the standard sneers addressed by the older generation against the younger included "I bet they don't know how to change a fuse, or light a fire". Now that I am a householder, the household mystique of "changing the fuse" has been replaced by the act of re-setting a trip switch, and I have never needed the other mystique of properly starting a coal fire in a household grate.
A few generations back the sneer might have been "I bet they don't know how to take a stone out of a horse's hoof".
I wonder what essential skills of today will be forgotten by future generations.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Logic, grammar, rhetoric, cursive writing, auto repair, cooking, manners, and the piano.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Great contribution. Thank you.

Now let's get specific. Let's say, the desert turns to ice and everywhere is opposite of todays reality. Nothing is normal...

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Some great idea's and advice here and something that is very important to me.

There are so many people growing up in this world of convenience and technology and are socially useless, they literally cannot look after themselves when things go wrong.

I made the decision when my son was born that he was not going to be like that, when he was 5 he knew how to load a washing machine and how to cook(with supervision!). He is 9 now and helps me build things, cook(he has his own Japanese blade and knows how to use and care for it) and understands the importance of looking after things properly.

When I see other kids his own age still asking there parents for a drink or something silly I feel like I am on the right track.

I leave reading and writing to the school, I teach him everything he will need to survive.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Auto repair after CME?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Natural remedies was on my top 5.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Too many parents don't know the basics in which to teach their children. Kudos to you and thanks for your contribution.

link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

cursive writing

I think it's about time to drop cursive in favor of typing.

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Grammar and rhetoric will probably not fill a starving belly....

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: VP740

Then your writing will be ugly, plain and simple.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join