It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best of Metallica 1980's

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Metallica the true story video. Interesting stuff!

edit on 2-2-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psychonautics
The best of Metallica in the 80's

=

Dave Mustaine

Why did they start sounding different?

After kicking Dave out of the band he helped put together, they continued using mostly songs he wrote, then they ran out of source material. They had, I think, three good songs on their own after that.

I would disagree with this a bit. The biggest differences between Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightening weren't so much the lack of Mustaine as they were the result of Cliff Burton teaching Hetfield about guitar harmonies and his influence from being trained and taught by classical music as opposed to Jazz which was the basis for a lot of bass players in general and especially so in Megadeth with gar Samuelson and Chris Poland. Burton was the key ingredient that separated Metallica from the rest of the pack in terms of song writing. Mustaine only had writing credits on 3 songs off of Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets was dominated by Cliff's influence. You can totally hear the difference in the classical music vs. Jazz paradigm when you compare early Metallica to early Megadeth. Gar was a huge jazz freak and its very apparent on Killing is my Business and though toned down a bit, on Peace Sells as well. Put them up against Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets and even ...And Justice for All which was heavily influenced by Burton. It all comes through in the guitar harmonies between James and Kirk. Up until Cliff's death, Metallica was a much more democratic organization. Look at the writing credits by Hammet on Ride the Lightening, whereas Megadeth was all Mustaine from day one. Just for the fun of it, here's Megadeth playing one of their first live shows and Kerry King from Slayer is on guitar. He played their first 3 shows

Megadeth > Metallica

Megadeth suffers from the same issues as Metallica though. Well except for always having far better drummers. The periods of peak creativity pretty much overlap and the best output from both bands ended relatively the same time frame. Metallicas last good "metal" album was ...And Justice For All, Megadeth's was Rust in Peace. Mustaine had such a degree of psychological damage that when he saw how successful Metallica got with the Black Album he opted to unload Countdown to Extinction on the world. It ended up being their biggest selling album but still didn't come close to what the Black Album did and he devolved further and further into trying to write a more commercial selling album until we got stuck with 'Risk' which is awful in much the same way as Load and Reload were. The best Megadeth albums though were definitely better than the best Metallica albums

Plus, Lars Ulrich couldn't out drum an 80 year old Parkinson's victim, and is an all around terrible human being.

I don't think you'd get much argument from anyone on either of those points!

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The last time I saw Metallica was Metallica Night at the SF Giants game. James and Kirk played the National Anthem and Lars threw out the first pitch. I heard Lars was supposedly once good at tennis but I can tell you, he throws like a 6 year old girl. That was quite comical. Kinda sucks to see those guys completely sell out but I guess they deserve to take it easy these days.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Metallica are great and Master of puppets album was my inspiration to pick up the guitar, good to see some other fans out there,here's a demo with Dave Mustaine singing the four horsemen ....

it really was great rivalry between the two bands over the years they both have some great music..
edit on 6-2-2016 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
love this song...

It seemed relevant at this moment in time..

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Sorry for the repeat, i needed to hear some actual metal music tonite.
Peace

edit on 3/19/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

I know I am in a minority but...
there's never a need to apologize for Metallica in my book!

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Justice for All

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Aww thankyou, no you're not in a minority you're just as cool as the rest of us head bangers lol! I'm so glad you can share your love of Metallica here! It's one of the greatest bands of its time, i love em! Brings back so many memories for me. I'm glad i'm able to post them here so everyone can appreciate them like i do!

Peace

edit on 3/19/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join