It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Best of Metallica 1980's

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 07:35 AM
I was (unfortunately) too young to be able to see the mind-blowing tour that would have been 'Justice', But I have viewed it on the 'Binge & Purge' shows.
I saw Metallica on the Black album tour, in 1992. I was 13 years old.
It was one of the first 'Arena Rock' (As Lars would say) shows I ever saw.
I'd seen Faith no more on their 'Angel Dust' tour in a venue about half the size to what Metallica played before that.
Metallica live was so incredible in that era.
I had always liked the earlier albums, my favourites were 'Puppets' and 'Justice'.
Black album totally blew me away though.
Seeing them play on the Black album tour show was something I have never forgotten.
They DESTROYED it live.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 07:53 AM
I have to add, thinking back to that show I saw, I can still remember them setting off the fireworks, and sound effects of guns firing as the intro to 'One'.
I don't think I will ever forget how intense that was. It was completely shocking.
They must have got permits to use minor fireworks/mortars/ etc... In every venue they played in.
It was deafeningly loud.
As a little 13 year old boy I was totally wide eyed thinking 'This is INCREDIBLE'.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:04 AM
I have every metallica album released, and that you can torrent lol.

So far I have only seen them live once, in either 2008 or 2009 (cant remember) at Ozzfest here in Texas. It just so happened to be my birthday too! It was the best bday I ever had.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:21 AM
a reply to: awareness10

Creeping death is one of my favorites- I was denied to request it at a party because my bosses devout daughter and her even more devout husband said it wasn't appropriate-Yet the Lyrics were about the exodus.

edit on 30-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:45 AM
I have always had such a hard time understanding why Lars & James decided to not include Jason's bass recordings on 'Justice'. And I have watched the interviews where Jason has said that it was much his 'fault' than anyone else's that his bass wasn't louder.
That's bull#. He was bullied and treated like #.
You can search justice for all Jason bass on YouTube and hear his real bass recordings for those songs.
They were great.
And it's not a case of the bass guitar not being 'loud enough'.
It's a fact that the bass was MUTED on the album.
There's no #ing bass at all!

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:56 AM
It was always made me feel good that Bob Rock made a huge point of bringing up the bass guitar on The black album, and then subsequently bringing it up even louder on 'Load' and 'Reload'.
Huge bass guitar sound on the latter 2.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 10:49 AM

Metallica along with Led Zeppelin were my two all time favorite bands.
I went to a Metallica concert in 1994 and I loved it even though my
ears were still ringing for a few days afterwards.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:06 PM
Nobody has mentioned the best song they've done. Sooo disappointing.

'The Frayed Ends of Sanity'

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:25 PM

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
This is by far the funniest thing I've seen today, didn't think it would be appreciated anywhere else.

That was great, Slayer unplugged!

I saw Slayer with D.R.I. in Anaheim back in 85, the pit was brutal.

The only good Ministry album was another favorite back then.

Ah, good times, good times...
edit on 30-1-2016 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:06 PM
I saw the Master of Puppet tour, they opened for Ozzy. I am happy to have seen Metallica when Cliff Burton was with them. He was a crazy bass player. I have no idea how he made it through a concert whipping his head around like he did. I saw that tour twice then saw them again at the Monsters of Rock at the Pontiac Silverdome along with Van Hagar, the Scorpions, Dokken and Kingdom Come.
When I heard about the tragic accident that took Cliff's life I was in line at the Royal Oak music theater waiting to see Yngwie Malmstein. Yngwie dedicated a song to Cliff, "You Don't Remember I'll Never Forget."
Good times were my concert going days, the 80's were awesome.
When I finally got to see Megadeth they were opening for Alice Cooper, it was their first album tour, Peace Sells.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 08:20 PM
Metallica is one of my all time favorite bands! Loving this thread!!!!! Thank you so much! Though my taste in music is varied, I'll always be a metal head at heart.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:25 PM

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Master of puppets was a cool album. The Cliff Burton era was their creative peak for me but Lars has always been a terrible drummer.

says you, which doesnt mean much. metallica wouldnt be the same without him.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:56 AM
a reply to: mamabeth

Oh yes, i remember the ear ringing well lol.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:57 AM
a reply to: Night Star

Oh you're welcome head bangers unite right lol. I was having an 'i remember' song night.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:02 PM
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Yes i remember that. I agree back then, James was a bit of a dick.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 12:11 PM
FB has been going off today over the Phil Anselmo thing, bit unfortunate really.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 01:37 PM

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 06:08 PM
Megadeath is and always has been far superior to Metallica. This is fact.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 11:15 PM
Nice Love the tread. Old school Metallica

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:31 PM
I was in 8th grade when the black album came out and rocked my world. I hadn't previously been into them, as I was too busy listening guns n roses and motley crue. The black album was probably strategically designed to attract listeners like me who found metallica just a tad too heavy and dark. The black album helped open my mind to metal and I ended up getting all their older stuff. Trips me out the black album is 25 years old now. Saw metallica and Soundgarden at Lollapalooza 96, my first big concert and it was one of the most kick @ss days of my life.

<< 1    3 >>