It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German tourist climbs to top of Great Pyramid, captures rare footage of ascent, and photos

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Tagz
If you argue like that, we can start to burn history books and if we´re at it.
Sure there was suffering. There was also and still is enough suffering on this world.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
my view on this - is skewed - as i know 18 people who have climbed the GP in the last 30 years

the problem is not the physical interaction of a climber - a single saharan dust storm does far more damage in one night than a million ethical climbers

its the scars that cockwombles leave during thier idiocy : graffitti , carving thier names , delibereate damage , stealing " souveniers " , litter etc etc

further - unlike the 18 people i know who have done this - the cockwomble [ like this german ] - cannot keep thier mouth shut - and have to make sure the world knows that they did it

they have to be famous - no matter what the cost

and this creates a vicious cycle - as increasingly incompetant morons attempt things because they think its " kewl "

then one dies - and the real crapstorm blows up

doing it is not the problem - its the narcissistic impulse to make sure everyone knows that causes problems

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
If you argue like that, we can start to burn history books and if we´re at it.
Sure there was suffering. There was also and still is enough suffering on this world.

That's my point.
They were built off the back of suffering 1000's of years ago and yet people still want to see others suffer because of them to this very day!

Books are where this stuff belongs. The power is removed but the knowledge remains.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
That´s your conclusion that

They were built off the back of suffering 1000's of years ago and yet people still want to see others suffer because of them to this very day!

Point of view. If you look at the old monuments, everything you see in, it is the pain of all the people that build it?
If you remove history, it´s bound to repeat itself faster then you can look. We could also say, let´s forget about WW2, probably it won´t happen again. Yet, no one thinks so.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
yeah up close it isn`t so spectacular looking, it just looks like a big pile of ratty crumbling rocks.
I`ve seen better looking rocks in the mars rover pictures.
I didn`t see any gigantic stones that can only be lifted using alien technology either, most of those stones looked to be of manageable size even for primitive technology.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tagz
Why do we need to carry these reminders of the ruling class through history?

I look at theses monuments and think of the suffering that must have happen while they were being built.

There was no suffering. It was built by laborers who seemed to be there willingly (slaves don't get to bring their families along...so its doubtful they were slaves). They received the best care that someone in their day could recieve. They were well taken care of.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
yeah up close it isn`t so spectacular looking, it just looks like a big pile of ratty crumbling rocks.
I`ve seen better looking rocks in the mars rover pictures.
I didn`t see any gigantic stones that can only be lifted using alien technology either, most of those stones looked to be of manageable size even for primitive technology.

Don't forget, the GP was at one point completely encased in almost perfectly cut/engineered white limestone. Hardly a pile of rocks if you ask me.

What you're seeing now is that first or second layer just under the, now gone, casing stones. But some survived the pillage.

Pretty precise looking, aren't they:

Look at the man standing next to one of these massive engineered blocks, to get a sense of scale.

Each had to be cut at the same exact angle, all the way up...

How do you suppose these were stacked as you got to the top?
edit on 30-1-2016 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: PhotonEffect
Typical that they tried to repair the broken casing stone, typical.
Compare the two photos, one can see how falsified they look now.
Shakes head. Same as with the curbing in the great gallery.

They only look that precise because they were fixed afterwards.
They are precise cut, no question but not the way it´s shown today.
edit on 30-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: PhotonEffect That guy sure has some stones. I got dizzy and started sweatin just watching the vid. The pyramid face is 51 degrees and is 450 feet in height and looks like it is crumbling. Must have been more difficult to climb down than up.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
One of my few life goals is to get over my fear of flying (more a fear of terrorism/putting my life into other peoples hands as I would love to have a pilots license and fly myself one day) and visit the Pyramids of Giza.....

One of my greatest fears is that ISIS will occupy the area and blow them up before I get that chance...

On the subject of the video though, I think the young guy was a bit reckless in his actions, as it is things like this that prompt the local authorities to clamp down on such behaviour, spoiling it for the rest of us.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it, I know I will attempt it as long as I don't cause more damage, but to post it on the internet will just hamper future efforts.
edit on 30/1/16 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I have always dreamed of visiting Egypt and seeing all of the wondrous pyramids and archaeological sites. It is unfortunate that it is such a dangerous place to visit.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Typical that they tried to repair the broken casing stone, typical.
Compare the two photos, one can see how falsified they look now.
Shakes head. Same as with the curbing in the great gallery.

They only look that precise because they were fixed afterwards.
They are precise cut, no question but not the way it´s shown today.

That's quite an ignorant remark.

Have you considered the fact that the same sort of casing still exists on the top third of the pyramid right next door?

The pics of the Tura limestone casing PhotonEffect provided are of original casing stones placed by Old Kingdom stone workers on Khufu's pyramid.

Harte

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte
Ignorant? Could you specify what part of my post is ignorant?
Is it ignorant to recognize and point out the casing stones on the bottom have been fixed and do not represent them like they were?

I´m not shaking my head because of the poster of course!! I´m shaking my head, because as I´ve been to egypt and every part of it for almost 1 1/4 years, I´ve come to see many of such things. If you got the impression my "typical" and "shakes head" was directed at the poster, I want to tell you that´s not what I´m saying.

My point stands, they (the stones in the picture) look that precise, today, because they have been fixed.
They are precise cut, no question and erosions did it´s thing on them, too.
But to look at those stones and say look how precise they are cut, would be ignorant, if we have to use this word.
Because they have been fixed.
edit on 31-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I can just imagine Zahi Hawass having a meltdown over this violation and trespassing onto his pyramids.

Certainly is a good way to get yourself into the history books and a global name for antiestablishmentarianism.

Awesome.

Man, I hope he sees this and chokes on it. He's so obnoxious..

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

originally posted by: Winstonian I have always dreamed of visiting Egypt and seeing all of the wondrous pyramids and archaeological sites. It is unfortunate that it is such a dangerous place to visit.

It was always somehow dangerous in the outer parts. Even egyptians itself drive without light through the desert out of fear of being robbed. They only flash their lights when they think there is someone else on the road to give them a heads up.

And of course, in arabic/egyptian culture, it´s unfriendly to blind someone.
The more tourist parts were always protected by military and you get a road stop around every 50-100km. They are wired with explosives underneath. In front of the big tourist hotels, there were always soldiers standing around with automatic rifles.

But I myself, would not visit egypt now. I´ve been there in March/April last year for a trip to ElQuesir.
Security checks at airports are present (three times, you get scanned). But the value of those checks.. well.
The funny part is, if you look a bit arabic (hooked nose, tant), dress so that the metallic detector has nothing to detect, you can walk in there like there are no checks at all.

If you know the drill, you basically can walk out of the plane without any scanning. A few egyptian pounds in your passport, enough visas stamps from egypt in it and a friendly "ähla sabah" (Good day) and you are waved through with a smile.
edit on 31-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Really striking how few tourists are there. The Egyptian economy must be in a horrendous state.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz
It´s also seasonal. Most people go there between June until the end of September/November.
But yes, tourism has declined, not only in sinai, where it started but the whole coast down from Hurghada to Marsa Alam is suffering.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Want to see the top of the pyramids then fly a drone up there.

The problem is this sets a precedence, if 1 person did it then another will try . At some point you are going to have the fool person do this that thinks it is the right idea to carve their initials or tag it with a marker or spray paint..

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA
Absolutely. To the full extend. My point was, people have been wandering up there for decades (of course even earlier but since world wide tourism..). It´s forbidden and he broke the law, no question. But it´s not like he´s the first person of the world doing it.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Guys, guys. There's very little point condemning this man for breaking the Egyptian law. He's German, for them its practically part of their national character to try and trespass where they're not wanted
Ask Poland

<< 1  2    4 >>

join