It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

What bought you to the dance/whats your story?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 09:39 PM

Spent years listening to Art Bell. I have always been interested in UFOs/Aliens. Even have vanity license plate referencing aliens. But it was 9/11. 2007 I was retiring from the Air Force so had a few months of terminal leave with nothing to do waiting for my Air Traffic job to open up. Watched every 9/11 video I could find, then I watched United 93, then I watched the videos again. Then watched United 93. Did it for balance.

After watching all the videos and United 93 numerous times; I started to search the internet for good forums. ATS popped up. Never looked back. I lurked for a few years, then I noticed people were complimenting each others avatars, I was like, what are they talking about there are no avatars. Then I realized I needed to make an account to see them. Did that.

Judging from my number of posts you wouldn't think I spend 6 to 8 hours a day here, I do. I read all of the threads. I even reply most days, just end up deleting what I write. There is too much venom most of the time. So I just read. Take in all sides. I miss some of the past members, I like nearly all of the current ones. I respect them all for posting, you are all a bunch of passionate S.O.Bs. But you are all like a family to me.

I'm quiet now, had I found this site 16 years ago, I would have been one of the loud ones. I was an A-hole back then. I only post now when I truly believe I have something worthy to add. Those are the ones that I don't delete.

Thank you all for being here. to all the past and present members. You make my days brighter (and dimmer sometimes) but it is always interesting and I learn with humility I would like to think.

eta: That was a lot longer than I originally intended. You can skip it all if you like and just read the 9/11 part. The rest was kind of mushy anyways.
edit on 29-1-2016 by Baldryck because: Afterthought

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:07 PM

originally posted by: Baldryck
eta: That was a lot longer than I originally intended. You can skip it all if you like and just read the 9/11 part. The rest was kind of mushy anyways.

I read the whole thing before I reached this.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:07 PM

edit on 29-1-2016 by VP740 because: Double Post

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:05 PM
Came here to see read some stuff out of the ordinary.. I think Hidden_Hand brought me here.
Crazy part is I can't remeber where I even heard of Hidden_Hand. Anybody know where he came from?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:06 PM
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Oh glad to see your still here.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:11 PM
As I recall, I was searching about a scheme where you could supposedly save a ton of money by buying this software which would tell you how much money to spend and put the rest of it against your mortgage while floating a home equity loan.

But I could be wrong. Maybe I don't remember so good.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:13 PM
I first found this site through a teen site when I was still a teen. Someone had started a thread with different websites and ATS was one of them. Out of all the sites posted in that thread, ATS stood out to me more. So I clicked the link and liked what I saw and I've been here ever since.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:13 AM
a reply to: neformore

Sounds similar to my own experiences. I'm more like anti-Mulder because I don't want to believe!

A few of us had a decent UFO sighting down on the English south coast and it, ultimately, brought me here through looking if anyone else reported it. "Kandinsky zig-zag" in ATS search will show how many times I've mentioned it.

The overall interest is mixed. I want explanations for experiences and reports.

Like you, I've grown up in a house where family and friends saw and heard weird stuff. We had one full-bodied female *ghost* sighting, footsteps up stairs and landing, loud bangs in rooms, male voices in a downstairs room and TVs turning themselves on. Now and then, objects would go missing and turn up later. Best example of that was my mum looking for the food whisks and couldn't find them in the cupboard. She went and bought a new set and used them. When she went to put them back where the old ones were stored, the 'missing' ones were back.

Another one was when I was going to take my dad's car out. I turned the engine over and went back in the house for a shower. When I got out, the car keys had gone missing and the garage door was locked. When they returned from holiday, the keys were in the ignition and the garage keys were on the key ring. The door could only be locked by turning the handle and putting the key in. No. I'm not saying 'ghosts' or anything else, just that the door couldn't lock itself, the house was empty and I can't explain it.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:15 AM

Religion, Science & UFOlogy study and the show UFO Hunters DULCE D.U.M.Bs show...

edit on 1/30/16 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:47 AM
My beautiful wife found this site first, when she showed it to me I immediately understood the potential.

I was in several discussions with several people over the course of the day, one of the discussions was about something I knew very well, diamonds.
The member I debated about the topic was trying to troll the other members, ultimately I realized he was just trying to sound "smart" on the internet while knowing nothing about the reality of the topic. When I presented real data the other members got it and were relieved of the potential to fall for a line of horse hockey.

It was at that moment I started looking round the entire site (which was MUCH smaller way back then) and discovered several discussions that I was quite familiar with from a topical perspective that were not only intriguing, but quite informative. Yes, this old man learned a thing or two in his early days at ATS. That's the best part of this endeavor in my mind, when one can learn valuable information from their peers, in civilized discussion, it's the penultimate use of the web to my way of thinking.

That had never happened to me before ATS in spite of my owning a few good sized discussion forums prior to getting involved in ATS. I was captivated so I invested to keep the place alive through a tough time that would have ended its existence had I not invested and, in a round about way, the partnership was born that is now known as The Above Network LLC.

Best part is, 13 years later I am still captivated by this site and the people who populate it. That's a rare thing in this world IMO.

edit on 1-30-2016 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:44 AM
I probably have mentioned once, twice or even three times the strange stuff that's happened to me in my life starting with my Mom and Dad saying that I played with an invisible child (I was about 4 or 5 years old at the time) named "Johnny" and with the door closed they could hear two separate voices talking (one was me, the other was "Johnny").

Later on at around 9 years of age Pop was driving Mom and I home from a Church gathering when there were these three large lights in the distance coming our way (on a lonely rural road of course). Dad pulled over and we (all three of us) watched as the lights approaching us didn't take on the normal Planes in the Air look anymore. It turned out to be a Triangle craft of some sort. To this day (even though we discussed it back then often), neither Mom or Dad remember the instance.

I also was very much into photography back then with my 'Brownie' camera and would photograph everything. And strangely some photos that included the sky in the background sometimes had some strange non-bird-like thingy in it. And obviously I found that very intriguing considering that as a sheltered christian child I had never heard the term Flying Saucer or UFO. But I had photos of something strange, just didn't know at the time what it was or 'might be'.

It was because of such strange things that I searched later in life for an area, maybe even a place to share some of these things in hopes of finding out what the heck was going on? Besides, I already had over 20+ years of personal research and documentation under my belt before coming here, so finding any people with any type of weird experiences might possibly bring me closer to a few answers I was seeking. ATS turned out to be a treasure trove of oddities for me to consume, assimilate, disseminate and maybe even if I was lucky, get a piece of the jig-saw puzzle on my quest for knowledge.

And so here I be !

edit on 1/30/2016 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:45 AM

When I was a pre-teen, my family was going through major turmoil, I rebelled and skipped class. I decided to school myself in spiritual things. Mom thought I was being introduced to drugs, but I was really at the public library studying ancient mythology, the spiritualism movement, historical Salem witch trials, studies of the mind, ancient religions and native American history, and art museums. I even went to free presentations by local universities held in civic buildings such as a traveling Shroud of Turin, quantum physics lecture, and King Tut artifacts display.

It was the late seventies, it was all free and nobody bothered to ask why I wasn't in school. Oh yes, I got busted severely when caught and was promptly shuttled to the country to live with my Dad, no bus access or anywhere to wander.

I was raised a christian and still am, what they considered "dabbling", I considered "learning". After all, the bible is a book of supernatural occurrences. I don't believe all things created and existing can be experienced by only the five senses. My family only want to acknowledge or discuss the things that can.

I married and moved into a house with some paranormal issues, leaving me with a lot more questions. My family members also experienced things in my home but refused to discuss, "pink elephant in the room" style. Like what are shadow people, phantom voices, item destruction by unseen force, disappearing items, poltergeist activity, etc. Later I wandered onto the internet and just continued learning.

Shadow people are what brought me to ATS specifically.

That Tolkien line "Not all those who wander are lost" always made perfect sense to me.
edit on 1/30/2016 by shockedonlooker because: shortened

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 03:00 AM
Have rambled on in far too longwinded a form in regards to this question in past, so will give the abridged version (not that interesting anyway lol.)

Been fascinated by the paranormal and UFOs since childhood.

Became heavily interested in Ufology proper in my early teenage years. Had some (still) anomalous experiences between then and, to a lesser extent, now.

Joined ATS in search of potential mundane explanations to some of them. Found some. Others not so much. Still seeking answers that are satisfactory to my tiny little piece of the weirdberry pie. Discreetly.

Since joining I have become far more skeptical, but remain largely agnostic and am in recent years also far less assertive in my skepticism than I once was in the throws of post skepticism nihilism and dillusionment lol.

Now I just read and post for the sake of occasional self-education and sheer desire to discuss and enjoy.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 04:35 AM

Great idea for a thread, it's a highly welcomed break from all the typical political BS.

I suppose it was a multitude of experiences that ultimately brought me here, and I've always had a fascination for all things "different."

I was about 10-12 years old when my mother's aunt lived with us in our house. She passed away in our house. I never experienced it, but my straight-edge mother claimed to feel cold-spots in the house. What I did experience, however, was the unmistakeable feeling of someone sitting next to me while I was laying in bed, that mattress-sinking feeling. I was never more petrified in my life, and it never happened again.

My grandfather died while my sister and I were younger. We often visited their house where they always kept a garden. Near the garden was a butterfly bush with lots of flowers. My sister claimed some years after he had died that she awoke in the middle of the night to the smell of that butterfly bush.

I believe there are things we can't know the answers to.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 04:43 AM
a reply to: kaylaluv

The satellite-looking UFO you saw, this was at night right? I saw the same thing about 3 years ago, it was a warm summer night and I looked up like I usually do, and saw what looked like a typical satellite. It moved steadily across the sky for a few seconds, then stopped, then continued on the same trajectory, but in skipping motions, almost resembling a rock skimmed across a pond. Is that what you saw?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:07 AM
Wow! Some heavy hitters chiming in here and I'm not worthy but I'll toss in my 2¢ anyway...

I joined in July of 2007 when the epic 446 page Issac CARET drone thread was about a month old. The investigation and detective work was fascinating and riveting and this place became addictive. I didn't realize how much so until toward the end of last summer when I stepped out of line in support of a friend and was justifiably shown the door.

Although exiled to the Phantom Zone, I still came here eleventeen times a day but after a couple of months, realized this was my online home and these were my people, love 'em or hate 'em. Returning damaged the friendship I spoke out to support but being away from the community and some of the personalities and thought inspiring discussions here was too much to not be a part of. This place is one of my windows to the world.

Besides all that, I gotta keep an eye on you guys.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:21 AM
Well, I suppose this is a good as place as any for my first post.

I came to ATS completely by accident, lurked for a LONG time. I followed a link of a link of a link while doing research on the latest UFO cases. I have always been interested in UFOs, conspiracy theories, cryptozoology, all manner of things. If its interesting I've researched and studied it. I'm not an expert on any field and my interests are hugely varied.

Stumbling on ATS was a treasure trove! I'm not saying I'm a believer in all the things on here, nor am I saying I disbelieve. I keep an open mind. From.what I've seen mostly everyone is genial and respectful, which is something seriously lacking on other corners of the internet. Sure there are bad apples but it seems that the mods take care of those posters pretty quickly.

I've had a few odd experiences in my life; I can't walk or driver under street lamps, they go out EVERY TIME. Just the night security lamps. I can't wear a watch, the battery drains within hours of my putting it on. I saw a....well let's call it a UFO when I was twelve and have been hooked ever since. And that led me here, all these years later. I dream things before they happen, but only if I'm not trying to.

So Hi, ATS! Hope to be here for a long long time.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:36 AM
Innocent google searches for more info on my blood type o- & rhesus factor while pregnant with my first. I stumbled in to ATS, I must admit, the info I found was not what I expected & there may have been a moment or two when I wondered if I really was a lizard person
I can laugh now at how shocked or worried I was back then.

I quickly developed an addiction & love reading almost all forums. This place is a wealth of knowledge. Even if some is questonably true, I enjoy the many different perspectives and opinions put forth. These are the types of threads that encourage me to go off on a search through ATS. Now I'll go stalk everyone's old posts

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:48 AM

I saw a ufo with a friend and we spent that summer filming the skies trying to prove we weren't nuts.
We slept on park benches when we needed rest.

I was looking stuff up on the net and stumbled through this door.
I also fell in love with the high quality discussions that the site has.

edit on 30-1-2016 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 07:11 AM
I guess i should add in more than "i like to read"....I must have been busy when I posted that.

Originally i was a member of another site's forum. I found that site after trying to figure out if Sitchen was full of crap or not (he is) back in the early 2000's. That site was fairly small, but pretty busy. During the elections leading up to 2008 I noticed a huge influx of similar accounts. The forum made IPs public back then, and the new members all had Proxy's. And they turned a conspiracy site devoted to Atlantis into a political bicker site. Even worse: they coordinated efforts to shout down conversation. I just said "screw it" and left.

I knew a few current ATS members over there. Marduk has been busting my chops online for almost 15 years, while providing me access to his vast wealth of information on the topic of Sumeria/Babylonia. Stormdancer has, for just as long, impressed me with how prodigious of a reader she is.

Growing up i read every Time Life book on the unexplained. I read complete volumes of dozens of encyclopedias, actually (the Book of Knowledge was always my favorite because, of all things, the amazing picture of a bald eagle it had). But that digression aside, because of the fact that I read everything/anything like im getting a fix, I had a wide exposure to all manner of mystery and occult.

ATS is a natural fit. I like talking aliens and UFO's. I love talking ancient civilizations. Im a big fan of human consciousness study, and see it dovetailing with PSI study. Origins and creationism fascinate me. Esoteric teachings and secret societies are something that I have always enjoyed digging in to, and since high school geometry exposed me to the name pythagoras I have been enamored with what I have come to know as "The Mysteries". Ive even lived in a couple of houses that were undeniably effected by the unknown, with one of those houses just feeling really bad.

But above all, ATS was moderated. Meaning you typically don't have someone calling you names (which destroys conversations immediately), and you generally won't have that obnoxious kid sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming "LALALALA". It seemed like a place where adults were talking with each other. And I liked that.

Ive mentioned before that this websites community has made profound and positive impacts on me. Literally helping carve out the man I became over the past decade (which ain't perfect, but given where I was 10 years ago.....)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>