It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No More Tv Licence For Me.....and For You.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

It's gutting to sit and think I've been brain washed all these years...absolute bastards

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: gpols

They cant force you to pay without establishing that you do indeed watch live TV, and that's rather hard to establish with there right to reside on the property removed, never mind the lack of other personal details.

Need a warrant which they cannot get with out you providing them information to attain such. They cannot even sit outside and video you watching TV through a window because that's a breach of privacy law, certainly would not wash in any court of the land provided your lawyers not a total spaz.
edit on 29-1-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

This is my opinion to I don't watch live tv.
I'm not cheating anyone out of anything,just don't want to pay for something I honestly don't use.
145 pound is a lot of money...especially when u add it up over years. As we know the TV licence goes up more every year.
babs and bubs

link   

originally posted by: restless genius
a reply to: cut3ypie

I gave up watching TV 8 months ago, its only used for my sons computer or for my daughters baby programs.

TV license is the biggest scam going. I remember years ago a TV license guy told me if I didn't open the door he would call the police, I told him to go ahead the police will probably arrest you for wasting their time.

These people have no legal right to enter your home. Tell them to fack off.

According to the TV license letters I get every now and then they have been conducting an investigation into my use or lack of use of a TV, its funny because after a 5 year investigation the silly melts are no closer to knowing if I have a TV or not, its hilarious.

I'm not from the UK so please excuse any ignorance!

So, you can't just own a TV outright (paid in full) without paying some kind of fee? I mean, what if you NEVER use it to pick up broadcasted signals? What if you use the TV as a super large monitor for your computer, or for video games? You aren't watching/receiving any programming...?

If you have to pay a fee to just "own" a TV set in the house, regardless if you never even turn it on or off -- that's not ownership. That's renting.

Sadly, I forsee a future where everything we have is rented, leased or whatever. Most people rent their homes anyway. Soon it'll be cars, computers, even clothing.

link   
Of course, the other point is that it actually very cheap

How many hours a day do you watch TV?

How many hours a day do you spend drinking a third of a cup of coffee?

Think about it ....

(Personally I only have a TV because my housemate wants it to watch sport. I would not have one, which solves the problem!)
edit on 29-1-2016 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

But you receiving a TV signal hardly accounts for wear and tear of the radio waves. Its not the same thing as road tax no matter which way you look at it.

Truth is its a bloody criminal no matter whether our government supports the dubious act or otherwise.

We trick, when you purchase a new TV dont give them your correct post code or other details, because truth is you are not legally obligated to do so.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: restless genius

I gave up watching TV 8 months ago, its only used for my sons computer or for my daughters baby programs.

TV license is the biggest scam going. I remember years ago a TV license guy told me if I didn't open the door he would call the police, I told him to go ahead the police will probably arrest you for wasting their time.

These people have no legal right to enter your home. Tell them to fack off.

According to the TV license letters I get every now and then they have been conducting an investigation into my use or lack of use of a TV, its funny because after a 5 year investigation the silly melts are no closer to knowing if I have a TV or not, its hilarious.

I'm not from the UK so please excuse any ignorance!

So, you can't just own a TV outright (paid in full) without paying some kind of fee? I mean, what if you NEVER use it to pick up broadcasted signals? What if you use the TV as a super large monitor for your computer, or for video games? You aren't watching/receiving any programming...?

If you have to pay a fee to just "own" a TV set in the house, regardless if you never even turn it on or off -- that's not ownership. That's renting.

Sadly, I forsee a future where everything we have is rented, leased or whatever. Most people rent their homes anyway. Soon it'll be cars, computers, even clothing.

NA you can buy a TV outright.

You just need to pay the fee for live broadcasts.

But there are ways around it

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

This is how I'm looking at it. I'm not breaking any law just saying that I don't watch live tv and that's the only reason u need a licence. If I drove a car I'd need a licence but I can't drive so I don't own a driving licence.
Babs and bubs

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Surely the real issue is why anyone wants to watch live TV .....

And is it worth a third of a cup of fancy coffee a day?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I don't watch TV. .my teenage daughters do but not live. I spend about 2 hours if that a week on TV and that's only Cuz I'm sat in same room.
even now I'm sat on bed with tablet...no tv only Spotify music which I do pay 120 pound a year for...my ears perfer it lol.
easier on the eyes lol
babs and bubs

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

No coffee any day
good question lol
babs and bubs

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Suppose there a bit like Vampires, if you do not invite them in to your home, they are pretty much powerless to do anything else.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

U can own a tv outright but in order to watch live tv as it's aired on a TV (BBC channel ) you need a licence or your breaking the law...I've been taken to court once and had to pay a fine for not having a licence but will admit I was watching live tv.
I don't watch live tv ever only films so I thought I'd challenge the license and for now I don't need one has I'm not breaking any law.
England huh lol
babs and bubs

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Okay, then seriously. There's no way in hell (other than SEEING what's on your TV) they can tell if you are receiving a signal. Something like a TV that picks up a broadcasted, OTA (over the air) signal is a passive device.

Well, they *might* be able to -- it's called Van Eck phreaking:

Van Eck phreaking is a form of eavesdropping in which special equipment is used to pick up side-band electromagnetic emissions from electronics devices that correlate to hidden signals or data for the purpose of recreating these signals or data in order to spy on the electronic device. Side-band electromagnetic radiation emissions are present in, and with the proper equipment, can be captured from keyboards, computer displays, printers, and other electronic devices.

About LCDs (most new TVs are LCDs):

In April 2004, academic research revealed that flat panel and laptop displays are also vulnerable to electromagnetic eavesdropping. The required equipment for espionage was constructed in a university lab for less than US$2000.[7]

Wikipedia

And this is why the NSA and NATO have TEMPEST standards/classification for the own gear...to keep it safe from electronic evesdropping via leaking electromagnetic signals:

The NSA methods for spying upon computer emissions are classified, but some of the protection standards have been released by either the NSA or the Department of Defense.[5] Protecting equipment from spying is done with distance, shielding, filtering and masking.[6] The TEMPEST standards mandate elements such as equipment distance from walls, amount of shielding in buildings and equipment, and distance separating wires carrying classified vs. unclassified materials,[5] filters on cables, and even distance and shielding between wires/equipment and building pipes. Noise can also protect information by masking the actual data.[6]

While much of TEMPEST is about leaking electromagnetic emanations, it also encompasses sounds or mechanical vibrations.[5] For example, it is possible to log a user's keystrokes using the motion sensor inside smartphones.[7] Compromising emissions are defined as unintentional intelligence-bearing signals which, if intercepted and analyzed, may disclose the information transmitted, received, handled, or otherwise processed by any information-processing equipment.[8]

TEMPEST

Pretty creepy stuff.

Now, are these guys who want your money for watching TV using/doing this? Probably not. They'd probably spend more money conducting surveillance and analyzing the signals than what they'd make in taxes/fees.

But yeah, if "they" want to -- they can sit down the street and see what you're seeing on your screen anytime they want. And using lasers, they can hear anything inside the room too.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

They cant force you to pay without establishing that you do indeed watch live TV, and that's rather hard to establish with there right to reside on the property removed, never mind the lack of other personal details.

Need a warrant which they cannot get with out you providing them information to attain such. They cannot even sit outside and video you watching TV through a window because that's a breach of privacy law, certainly would not wash in any court of the land provided your lawyers not a total spaz.

So wait a minute. You're saying that if you use Bunny ears(Antenna) to receive live broadcast signals you have to pay them a fee? I thought you had to sign up for cable and that's how they knew you were watching live broadcast or a package through a cable provider or something.

Well didn't they at one time want to put a camera in every home in London at one point? I'm from the US so I only know what I've read.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Most of the CCTVs in london were put up by householders so that they could see when the mythical* TV detector van was coming around .....

Has anyone ever seen a "detector" van - outside of TV?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Pretty creepy stuff.

It is, I thought they knew because you bought a cable package or something I wasn't aware they had a person sitting in a blazer down the street with a camera watching LIVE TV over your shoulder!

While I agree with others that the BBC is respectable government program and provides a lot of value the levels to which they go to collect fees is indeed pretty creepy.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I'm surprised people don't have tinfoil wallpaper around your way.

Everyone graduated from tin foil hats to tin foil walls.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

That's what they are suggesting, live TV that is.

Cable provider, or Sky TV aside. That information does not prove a thing, and the matter of them obtaining or using said info against you raises all sorts of privacy issues.

Buy any new TV and it generally has a camera attached these days. Smart TVs are pretty much Orwellian by there very nature.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The same way the other channels do.

Adverts, and better TV,

The only thing i watched on BBC was Top Gear, and thats gone

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join