It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No More Tv Licence For Me.....and For You.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: restless genius

So they can't pick up digital signel coming from your house if u are watching live tv?
or do u also watch after programme has been aired on live tv?
sorry for questions I just don't want to get stung with a fine due to my lack of knowledge
babs and bubs

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

It does if you don't tell them who you are and show them the exit sharpish. Ile testify to that, and its not for want of there effort, but we don't suffer fools gladly where i hail from.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: cut3ypie

There is no such thing as TV detection vans, and even if there was the signal detected could be produced from numerous other devices, examples being a microwave, hoover, power drill, you get the gist im sure.
edit on 29-1-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I'm with you in this day and age you'd think it would be just online subscription or something of sorts
I also worry that tv licence must be a big sorce of tax to inject back into Britain and what we'd do without it?
just another silly question
babs and bubs

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Extortion is a crime even when its corporations such as the BBC perpetrating the act.

I don't know if extortion is the right word. Because you aren't actually being forced to do something against your will with negative consequences.

Unless you consider being without TV a cruel and unusual punishment.

And example of extortion would be, "we aren't going to stop kicking you in the balls until you become a rapper and rap about the exact thing we tell you to rap about." That is an example of extortion.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think people under estimate how the BBC helps the uk project "soft power" around the world. It's probably one of the most influential media services around and helps with all sorts of foreign policy goals. We would be insane to get rid of it, fair enough don't pay your licence fee, but then don't use the service. What other country in the world pumps out its own world service free of charge to every other region in the world capable of picking up a frequency
edit on 29-1-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

I see where your coming from.

It makes me annoyed when they make it sound like your committing a crime if you don't have a license.

A driving license fair enough but a license to watch TV when you bought the facker in the first place and pay the electric to watch it then on top of that they want more money.

What next a washing machine license, a cooker license? ( shouldn't give them ideas lol )

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
If you watch live TV and dont have a license you are stealing.

If you do not watch live TV then you do not need a licence, but you may need to spend 20 seconds filling in an online form to confim this.

Those who make a big issue of the TV license really need to get a life ....

Edit to say: no-one has to watch live TV. But if you choose to do so and not pay for it, knowing that it is only available on payment of a fee, you should be skinned alive and dipped in a vat of vinegar. But it is your choice

edit on 29-1-2016 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

There were vans but as was found out after a FOI request it was found that the vans being seen was enough to make people think they could detect them. But from a technical standpoint there is no way of detecting whether someone is watching tv.
i think if you purchase a TV or subscribe to one of the Premium brands in the UK like Sky, BT etc..they have to notify the tv license board with your information. But if you don't use subscription tv there's no way of them knowing whether or not you watch live tv.
Remove common law access and away you go. No more letters or visits from them for 2 years. Rinse and repeat every two years.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: gpols

Lets just say you are correct its not extortion, but only because i choose not to participate in there dubious scheme.

However to the other poor souls that do participate, it is indeed extortion, no ifs, no buts, no Coconuts.

And that's an example of real life im afraid.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

A while ago I was reading up about the TV license and some guy said he use to work for them and your right there is no such thing as a detector van he said all the methods they say they use to see if you watching TV is a load of boolacks.

He basically said they will tell you any old fanny to scare you into paying.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Have you seen these vans or just the mock ups provided by the bastards responsible for extortion of monies?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
If you watch live TV and dont have a license you are stealing.

Only if you watch BBC

If I watch other TV then screw tge BBC

originally posted by: [post=20313298]AndyMayhew[/post
Those who make a big issue of the TV license really need to get a life ....

No

Its wrong to be forced to buy a product for a service I dont use! Especially one staffed by a nest of pedophiles.

I should be FREE to watch other channels that dont use the TV licence without paying for the BB bloody C!

edit on 29-1-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

I don't watch live tv so I'm please im please to say I'm not stealing
What about the 80 thousand plus prisoners who watch all this free for the whole duration of they're holiday.?

I do have a life......honestly
babs and bubs

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Its wrong to be forced to buy a product for a service I dont use!

If you do not watch live TV you dont need to buy a licence.

Simples

originally posted by: cut3ypie
a reply to: AndyMayhew

I don't watch live tv so I'm please im please to say I'm not stealing
What about the 80 thousand plus prisoners who watch all this free for the whole duration of they're holiday.?

I do have a life......honestly
babs and bubs

Well, no diffferent to those who stay in a hotel, or visit their parents for the weekend .....

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

[quote]
Lets just say you are correct its not extortion, but only because i choose not to participate in there dubious scheme.

Right, there are no negative consequences from not participating in their scheme. Only when they start forcing you to pay a License fee and have chosen to live without LIVE TV does it become extortion, but because we are talking about a government program it is referred to as a tax.

And that's an example of real life im afraid.

It's a little bit messier than that, but nobody forced them to do what they did. What they did was akin to a flop in basketball.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Wonder if David Cameron or the Queen has a TV licence?

That would be interesting thing to find out, are the people who participate in the licencing scheme a matter of public record?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Oh they were 100% real vans but no detecting going on. Must have been a cushty job just driving about doing bugger all every day.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

In my country they just put up a media tax (or what was it,,) for everyone..

It was fun to pretend you are not home, when the TV licence guy was trying to get you.. ah, those paranoid times..

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The TV licence is required to watch live TV

Some of the money raised by it has been used to extend broadband internet across the country. Most is given to the BBC. But the licence is not for watching the BBC. Its Just another Govt Tax. No different to Road Tax. Which you need to pay if you have a vehicle.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join