It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Commandos Expand Anti-ISIS War into Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Is it really our calling to be there in the first place? Are we the 'worlds' police?
I am on the fence about us having boots on the ground over there and I do recall - very VIVIDLY that there would be NO BOOTS ON THE GROUND- so why are we there, and when will we get the # out?

Any other ATS folk think the same way? Or do we need to be there to intercede on those bloody Isis monsters?

www.usatoday.com...

U.S. commandos have been operating in Libya for months in an attempt to build an alliance of local militia and political leaders who would contribute to a U.S.-led war, designed to thwart the Islamic State group’s efforts to build a safe haven there should the group be driven from Iraq and Syria.

The extremist network has established footholds around the world but none more important than in Libya, where over the last year it has found a source of income and supplies and a lifeboat if its hub in the Middle East collapses. Its success in exploiting chaos in the tumultuous North African nation has now forced the Obama administration to once again consider war in Libya, after dismantling any semblance of order in 2011 through an air campaign that covered the rebels who ousted and killed former leader Col. Moammar Gadhafi.

Increased rhetoric from Obama’s top military chiefs about operations in Libya indicates a plan for military involvement is on the way, reportedly in the form of ground-based commandos to gather intelligence, rally local forces and call in airstrikes.

S O U R C E

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

You know, After your Iran Drone thread, I would have thought you would say the exact opposite. My apologies.

No, we are invaders in Libya. We are the scourge of the earth.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Gadhafi should have been left in power to control that region.
They wanted to destabilize the entire mid-east, they've succeeded. Now ISIL is spreading both north and south.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

and I do recall - very VIVIDLY that there would be NO BOOTS ON THE GROUND-

Just for future reference. Whenever they start saying that, it means the opposite of what they intend.

No boots means boots.

Peace talks mean war.

"Mission Accomplished"?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: warisuponus

I just recall Obama saying 'no boots on the ground' - I am sure I missed something- scratching head...

BTW welcome aboard

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

WORD, for real,

thanks for posting Intrp

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Most of us think that NATO should have stayed out of Libya, but they didn't and let's be honest we could see what was going to happen, but it must have been their plan all along, right?

We started out with good intentions, assisting the rebels to oust Gaddaffi, after all the Libyan people were demanding it.

Or were they? Probably not, but the terrorists were and that's what they sold us. They sold us terrorists in the guise of everyday Libyan folk that we assisted to bring about stability to a country that had lived under a dictatorship for decades. We were going to assist these people rebuild Libya and make it a country that would suit the Western powers.

They knew they were terrorists, they knew what carnage would follow, now they are coming up with a solution that most people protested against initially, but are now demanding. The annihilation of the bogey men and an invasion of a country they helped liberate.

Good work.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Most of us think that NATO should have stayed out of Libya, but they didn't and let's be honest we could see what was going to happen, but it must have been their plan all along, right?

The plan was behead the government, destroy the army, turn off power, water, sanitation, communications and transport, steal all their wealth and mineral resources, and let the resulting death from infighting, starvation and disease over time do its work.

Add boatloads of weapons and stir..

So far its going according to plan.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Who needs enemies with citizens like you, assuming you are american.a reply to: warisuponus

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Cobalt, you had me @ Most of us think that NATO should have stayed out of Libya

Thanks for posting

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Is it really our calling to be there in the first place? Are we the 'worlds' police?

America and the rest of the world are going to stay in the Middle East and Africa to capture territory. Easier to knock down governments and claim you're for the "moderates" who are only trying to lead their own country.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

The American Government seems to think so, or atleast acts as if it is.

It's been invading for decades all over the world now, after the teachings of it's parents in Europe. I'm thinking it's getting about # time you retreat your brothers- and sisters-in-arms to the homeland, they don't deserve to be played as pawns in a sickly game of world-wide Risk-Monopoly.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Well........actually, I'd read that some NATO thinkers have been contemplating taking over Libya, at least temporarily and using it as a base for refugee resettlement camps......so, the refugees fleeing Africa, Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq would be rounded up and placed into resettlement facilities in Libya.

It sort of makes sense. Libya's current population is only 5.5 million people, mostly camel and goat herders. They have no central governemt that I can identify, although the two main factions periodically sign agreements to get along and then promptly break the agreements.

The latest estimate for the refugee stream I've seen is about 10 million more out of Syria alone; there's no telling how many more out of Afghanistan and Iraq or Somalia for that matter. Libya would be a logical refugee center and holding tank because so many of the southern African refugees migrate through Libya to Italy/Greece.
edit on 29-1-2016 by TonyS because: clarity

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Thanks for mentioning this situation, Read Leader.

While I am not in Lybia right now I can tell you this:

People, with one costume or another, kill people all the time. This is due to their perception that killing those people specifically is at that point the best course of action. Regulatory systems such as tablets 1.0 and attempts at promoting perception of the living at the death of their contemporaries as terrifying and therefore undesirable, do not always take precedence over the decision to kill people. Two main factors being targeted education or "drilling" and biochem intake. Old tech, it's like saying you'd brain"wash" a killer when their brain was obviously cleaner before the drill. And don't forget to patch a "defence" sticker on their arms so they know what they're doing is not offence.

Anyway long context brings:

The USA is an empire and empires encourage the power-hungry who in turn use the glory-hungry and food-hungry to kill and terrorize others as is the case now in many places including Lybia.
Those in positions of theoretical authority claim responsibility or foreknowledge of killings and attacks, sometimes justify them in a bid to appear rational, but may have neither.

Yet, if the workers of the empire realize that their elected officials have not the control supposedly invested by said workers, they may cease to believe in their participation or the political value of their opinion, thus creating a situation where the DMV lady has to find another check to keep enjoying chicken nuggets. Her and the other public servants, example chosen for dramatization purposes.
And this in turn is the situation elected officials are employed to avoid, hence the show goes on.
When ever the USA as an empire quits killing and terrorizing, another empire will.
Unless we understand these mechanisms and teach them to youth instead of making thirty of them pretend to respect the speeches of a public servant who five years into the business realizes he is a cog of oppressive propaganda and obedience drilling. It's not just the biosocial Darwinism, it's the stand, sit, shut up, and repeat drill. Free-range people don't go around the world killing strangers to liberate them based on "peace master said so".

Cheerio

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Remember, the Muslim Brotherhood was shown the door in Egypt.

top topics

join