It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran claims it flew drone over US aircraft carrier, snapped photos

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is not the first time Iran has been flying drones over a US carrier.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: spy66

It's really not that big of a deal if it's just a fly over with recon drones.

I really don't understand the hype for shooting these things down, we do the same.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Not only are the international water points valid.

But what if the U.S. simply does not want to show what weapon capabilities it has on a carrier, or how far away it was detected on approach that they had the capacity to shoot it down.

Not everything is bring out your biggest gun right away to show it off.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
a reply to: BestinShow

Scary!

Just need some explosives taped to it and kamikaze that sucker.

And that would be the dumbest thing Iran could do.

Attacking a US carrier group = Sucide.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

So then the point is what? To show we have a bigger stick than they do?

Those are the actions of children, not military leaders.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

So then the point is what? To show we have a bigger stick than they do?

Those are the actions of children, not military leaders.

~Tenth

I almost think some of these people want a war with Iran.....Ok Scrap that I know ATS Chikenhawks do.

Forget the huge thaw in relations the fact Iran have seen bulldozing over its military nuclear sites.

RAR RAR RAR WAR!

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Why are you freaking out that a group of people we have been in bed with behind closed doors for generations, decided to fly something i myself could build, over International waters that we mistakenly believe we own?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This is truly not a big deal. When I was in the gulf, I had the joy of standing the alert, with my RIO, for our aircraft. They called us and told us that we'd likely launch in 2 hours. They continually updated us, that yes, we were going to launch. They didn't tell us why.

Sure enough, the call was made to launch the alert fighter. We got airborne and rolled in behind an Iranian P-3 cruising along at about 1000'. The P-3 passed just in front of, and down the port side of the ship at that altitude with us in trail. I believe they were within 1 mile of the ship during this flight.

These are just games. We won't shoot first because it is provocative and unnecessary. Nor will they. Carrier Ops have been put in the public venue. Those ops are not classified. Daytime cyclical ops will give them almost zero intel. They like to try to beat their chest and show how awesome they are. Whatever.

The best part, was that I had an AIM-9, cued up on his inboard left motor the entire time. Don't think he would have known that. Tee Hee.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

This is more propaganda for Iran. They get to print news articles that they flew a drone over the mighty US aircraft carrier and they take navy prisoner while still get sanctions lifted. The US knows this and didn't shoot it down because the people in Iran would demand retaliation. You think the Navy didn't know?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: cosmania
This is truly not a big deal. When I was in the gulf, I had the joy of standing the alert, with my RIO, for our aircraft. They called us and told us that we'd likely launch in 2 hours. They continually updated us, that yes, we were going to launch. They didn't tell us why.

Sure enough, the call was made to launch the alert fighter. We got airborne and rolled in behind an Iranian P-3 cruising along at about 1000'. The P-3 passed just in front of, and down the port side of the ship at that altitude with us in trail. I believe they were within 1 mile of the ship during this flight.

These are just games. We won't shoot first because it is provocative and unnecessary. Nor will they. Carrier Ops have been put in the public venue. Those ops are not classified. Daytime cyclical ops will give them almost zero intel. They like to try to beat their chest and show how awesome they are. Whatever.

The best part, was that I had an AIM-9, cued up on his inboard left motor the entire time. Don't think he would have known that. Tee Hee.

Maybe you should had radiod that info to him lol.

Iranian P-3 be advised that you are currently painted with a bullseye over. Do you wish to engage? lol.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow
a reply to: ReadLeader

From source:

Commander Kevin Stephens, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet based in Bahrain. “As previously noted, we are confident in our ability to respond appropriately as the situation dictates and will defend ourselves should that prove necessary."

And they didn't shoot the god damn thing down..? Respond appropriately my ass.

Gee ! calm down man .

First of all , according to officials it was an Armed drone ( UCAV ) and military enthiusiasts estimate its a Muhajer-4 UCAV . a very cheap UCAV which Iran has exported to many countries .'

an un-armed version of the same model named (Ayub) flew tens of kilometers inside the most secret parts of Israel by hezbollah and it was not detected due to its design and small size before it was shot down (with the first try to shoot it down failing)

secondly ,Due to International laws we were just exercising our right .your AC was not sailing around your waters it was patrolling PersianGulf, do you know where that is ?

11000 kms away from US mainland .

thirdly , we've got much more just so you know . M-4 is just a cheap UCAV build in massive numbers .

our main UCAV is the world renown Shahed-129 (4th gen. of it) and after that another MALE UCAV named Fotros with a endurance of 30 hours .

Shahed-129 :

During an alleged mission against ISIS in Syria :

We also have a HALE Stealth UCAV in development which is comparable to BAE Taranis .

en.wikipedia.org...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

my point being : i hope this doesn't come as a shock to u . Iran is one of the world's most powerful drone powers (much more powerful than Russia for example) and was exercising its inevitable right to defend itself per international laws .

you'd do the same thing if it was an Iranian AC coming close to your waters

edit on 29-1-2016 by haman10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

It would be in your best interest to look into the USS Forrestal's continued service after that incident before trying to be smart.

Aaaw, you beat me to it !!

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

That's that fast path to immediate ruin. Nobody is that stupid.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

I'm just saying a certain terrorist with no official national ties could do such a thing.

Not entirely impossible for a nation to do so and have nothing traceable back to them anyway.

Never fly above deck, if its shot down, then its at the bottom of the ocean before you can get your navy dolphins released

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

Thanks Cos!! Great story!

Thanks for posting & Thanks for your Service

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Interesting.

However, in the US we are not allowed to fly drones near airports because of the possibility of it hitting a plane that is landing or taking off.

Would this not be a concern around an aircraft carrier?

-dex

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: haman10

Awesome info Ham!!!!!!

Thanks for posting! !!

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Scary!

And that would be the dumbest thing Iran could do.

Attacking a US carrier group = Sucide.

You took the words right out of my mouth. How stupid do people think Iran are?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: haman10

Well Apparently no lock ons were detected otherwise it would had been a puff of smoke over th e international waters of th e persian gulf. remember just because it says persian does no t mean it is owned by Iran(excluding territorial waters of course)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
LOL

So scary.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join