It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran claims it flew drone over US aircraft carrier, snapped photos

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well, now this is NOT good news at all. The article says that there was not a known threat, but HOLY COW. I dont know if this is something that we should concern ourselves with or not- but my inner self says, yes, this is a concern. Here in the U.S. drone usage is increasing at a drastic rate-

We will soon have to be licensed to fly them, there are even videos on YouTube with drones that are armed and dangerous...

I would think that any vessel with any air-traffic should be concerned about their safety; thats just me; com forth ye good' sailor men and advise

Iran claimed Friday it flew a surveillance drone over a U.S. aircraft carrier and took "precise" photographs as part of an ongoing naval drill, as Iranian TV broadcasted video purportedly showing the incident.
The U.S. Navy confirmed to Fox News that an unarmed Iranian drone flew “directly over” the USS Harry Truman earlier this month on Jan. 12, but did not say whether it was the same incident.

That happened on the same day Iran captured 10 U.S. Navy sailors accused of "trespassing." It also was less than a week before the U.S. and European nations lifted sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program, but months after their initial deal was signed.

S O U R C E
edit on 29-1-2016 by ReadLeader because: sc

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

From source:

Commander Kevin Stephens, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet based in Bahrain. “As previously noted, we are confident in our ability to respond appropriately as the situation dictates and will defend ourselves should that prove necessary."

And they didn't shoot the god damn thing down..? Respond appropriately my ass.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The US doesn't have a claim on any airspace that's over and above their aircraft carriers.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

I dont know if they knew? but hail yes, that I would expect... ???

thanks for posting

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

If Iran flew a drone over a US Carrier group they would know exactly what it was and what its purpose is/was. Getting some grainy footage makes some Iranians happy, there is nothing else to see here.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

From source:

Commander Kevin Stephens, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet based in Bahrain. “As previously noted, we are confident in our ability to respond appropriately as the situation dictates and will defend ourselves should that prove necessary."

If it's flying over international waters and flying unarmed why shoot it down?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Scary!

Just need some explosives taped to it and kamikaze that sucker.

Need some drone capable radar invention, or is this just sloppy guard duty?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

The Aegis systems onboard most ships in a carrier group wouldn't let a threat get near a carrier.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

It probably was unarmed, but you're gonna take that chance with the assets on the Carrier..?

Gee, shoot down a drone worth a few hundred dollars, or don't shoot it down and hope they haven't rigged it up..?

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Yeah let's just violate international law and start shooting down stuff cause we can!

Ridiculous.

If it's international waters, any country as the right to fly or float in them. I may not agree with Iran, but they don't get a different set of rules because of it.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

It probably was unarmed, but you're gonna take that chance with the assets on the Carrier..?

Gee, shoot down a drone worth a few hundred dollars, or don't shoot it down and hope they haven't rigged it up..?

How much damage do you think an unarmed drone can do? Carriers have kinda been tested to withstand a nuke. The second this craft would enter the plain of the carrier group, it would be tracked, and constant contact with the operator established. One false move by the operator and the craft is downed.

Nice going Iran, you got home drone footage of a carrier, worse quality than the US military itself releases. But rah rah.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

From source:

c'mon....have you seen how small these drones can get?.....now if it was a full size anything capable of firing a weapon, that's a different scenario....give our guys some credit, they are not stupid.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Yeah let's just violate international law and start shooting down stuff cause we can!

Yes, shooting down a drone worth about the same as Deadpool's costume should set off International Outrage...

Ridiculous

Indeed...

link   

Vector, this is what my initial thought process was

link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Ridiculous.

If it's international waters, any country as the right to fly or float in them. I may not agree with Iran, but they don't get a different set of rules because of it.

~Tenth

Thumbs up for sanity

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

a reply to: tothetenthpower

Yes, shooting down a drone worth about the same as Deadpool's costume should set off International Outrage...

Ridiculous

Indeed...

The international outrage it would cause? Man you seriously don't understand global policies and procedures. The US CANNOT just shoot people out of the sky without reason, and they don't. They let Iran fly a drone over, a drone that can't capture video quality our laptops cam could.

Yea, lets shoot that thing down and cause an international stir...

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Between this:

Carriers have kinda been tested to withstand a nuke.

and this:

The US CANNOT just shoot people out of the sky without reason

You seriously don't understand...

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

My apologies mr grammar nazi. By people I also meant inanimate objects (aka drones).

I don't get the thought process here. The thing never was a threat, but well let's just shoot it down cuz it comin right for us!

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

You can take out a carrier with less than a nuke....

You dont need to sink the ship to cause damage with an explosive drone.

Take out a few people, damage some planes or the runway.

Carriers dont take damage that well

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

You can take out a carrier with less than a nuke....

You dont need to sink the ship to cause damage with an explosive drone.

Take out a few people, damage some planes or the runway.

Carriers dont take damage that well

It would be in your best interest to look into the USS Forrestal's continued service after that incident before trying to be smart.

Forrestal was deployed to Mediterranean waters four times between 1968 and 1973. She also sped to Tunisia for rescue operations in the flooded Medjerda River Valley near Tunis.

The ship logged three more Mediterranean deployments between 1973 and 1975

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join