It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Branch Manager Thwarts Bank Robbery by Holding Door Shut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
This definitely deserved a thread of its own. The bank Manager (call him what you will) bravely holds the door shut, allowing no entrance for the would be bank robber. 'applause'.

I for one think this speaks highly of the bank Manager, as he did prevent God knows what, from happening.

I've never understood why our banks in the U.S. are so easy to come and go? On a search for this particular instance, it was mind boggling, how many bank robberies happen on any given day. ....

Police in North Carolina say the manager of a bank branch thwarted an attempted robbery by holding a door shut even as the suspect banged on the door with a small handgun.

Authorities told news media outlets that a person wearing a mask approached the back door of a PNC Bank branch in Zebulon, just east of Raleigh, shortly after it opened Thursday. They said the manager saw the suspect approaching and held the door shut.

article link

video link

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader
Who would not have held the door close? I mean in this situation, you´re qualified becoming a hostage. Especially if you´re the bank manager. Not trying to make it look less of a good reaction! Just thinking about it.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
I've never understood why our banks in the U.S. are so easy to come and go? On a search for this particular instance, it was mind boggling, how many bank robberies happen on any given day. ....

It is cheaper to insure the bank the make it like a walk in vault. Plus most bank robberies do not net very much in the way of cash for the seriousness of the crime.

edit on 29-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Agreed. I've always thought "* why in the heck don't banks have ATM card swipes or magnetic swipe cards for members/customers (just like most office buildings) no card, no entry....*"

Oh.... because it costs TOOO much. Yep, it's about the $$$$$ dosent matter if your spouse works there for a living...naw.....

Thanksfor posting August.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Oh.... because it costs TOOO much. Yep, it's about the $$$$$ dosent matter if your spouse works there for a living...naw.....

The vast majority of bank robberies do not result in anyone being injured, the bank makes it clear that the tellers should give up the money without resistance. My aunt is a regional VP for a large bank and she was robbed twice when she was still at the branch manager level. The most they got was $12,000 and no one was hurt. The bank that she works for does not even have glass between the tellers and the customers.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
You´re right, it´s insured anyways.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Most of the time the robbers get the equivalent of the CEOs lunch money. The biggest people in the organization are not the ones facing a gun either.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

I wonder if all those bank robberies are from the U.S. preponderance of ideal worshiping the mythic "bank/train" robber. Growing up, I remember all the movies and shows about cool robbers such as Point Break(which they horribly remade recently).

Now, we see shows were good guys use violence even when violence can not be justified. Still, I am not going to try and blame television for the actions of people, only people can be blamed. But you got to wonder where they get their ideas.

Anyway, way to go on the bank managers part. Thanks for the cool find.

S and F

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Agreed. I've always thought "* why in the heck don't banks have ATM card swipes or magnetic swipe cards for members/customers (just like most office buildings) no card, no entry....*"

Thanksfor posting August.

The members only thing is easy to get around...just open an account in a fake name, and you have your card..or even easier, start dating / befriend / get to know other people who are members and borrow their card to swipe your way in.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: hubrisinxs

Kewl Av, Hub!!! I like the "Arnold" - yea, he he I used to watch those old westerns as well, things just dont ever change/ or history just repeats it'self, huh?

thanks for posting!

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX
Right but would you give your bank card to anyone? I would certainly ask "for what?".
Because I would be the idiot afterwards, that´s how they get back to you very fast.

Stealing is more probable.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Yeah to bad they remake those old westerns into crap like the fast and the furious. I do want to see The Reverent, that looks like a cool gritty western.

Also, glad to meet another Red Dwarf fan. It is a fantastic show, I wish Adult Swim would pick it up here in the States. I know it would do well with the late night crowd.

Lastly, I would like to say that I hope that bank manager goes up the ziggurat lickety-split.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

This definitely deserved a thread of its own. The bank Manager (call him what you will) bravely holds the door shut, allowing no entrance for the would be bank robber. 'applause'.

I for one think this speaks highly of the bank Manager,

i guess. i dont see the thread worthiness or discussion worthiness even.
how does this speak highly of the manager?

i mean i know policy is in the event of a robbery, hand over the #. dont be a hero.
but in the event the robber is not even in the bank?

is policy hold the door open for them?

manager did what any person on the planet would have done.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The would be robber had a gun and most bank entry doors do not have bullet proof glass, so there is that possibility the gunman could have pointed the gun at the manager. Knowing that the glass may or may not stop a bullet, what would you do in this situation?

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I for one think this speaks highly of the bank Manager,

i guess. i dont see the thread worthiness or discussion worthiness even.
how does this speak highly of the manager?

i mean i know policy is in the event of a robbery, hand over the #. dont be a hero.
but in the event the robber is not even in the bank?

is policy hold the door open for them?

manager did what any person on the planet would have done.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: evc1shop

bank manager probably knows if the glass will stop a bullet.

im sure there is some sort of training and procedures available where they are told..
either way my opinion stands.

if you are close enough to hold it closed you are close enough to get shot through it.
so yeah. did what anyone would do

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
From the video, it looks like any standard entryway. The doors appear to have glass in them and the glass is probably less than 3/8" in thickness.

Even if that were acrylic, at that thickness it is no guarantee against a bullet. If it was the better Monolithic Acrylic that is out there , I could see the risk being much lower. I know you are standing by your opinion and I respect that. I, on the other hand, am of the opinion that this was not the wisest thing to do. He could have been just thinking "lock the door" and then planned on running into a more secure area if one was available, that is what I may have done.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I lived in California about 20 years ago. A couple of banks in the suburbs outside of LA had thick bulletproof glass protecting the tellers with a narrow slot at the bottom. To carry out your business you had to converse through that slot. To handle anything that wouldn't go through the slot, they had a bulletproof lazy susan type apparatus.

Another bank had a mantrap. You entered into the trap using your ATM card outside. Then you had to be buzzed into the small lobby. There was a second one to exit, and then you had to be buzzed out.

For the record I don't believe the glass was bulletproof. This bank manager was quite brave and he acted on impulse to keep the robber out of the bank. I applaud him for his actions. However, there are people who would have flat blasted this dude on general principle.

-dex

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

That´s exactly how it is in Germany. Not everywhere of course. My current bank (moved) looks like a big living room, you could walk around the counter if you´d like to...(get in trouble). But the other one had the same type, 2 cameras in the front room and that "man trap" you were talking about and also the box that can be moved unter the bullet proof glas on a rail. The box istelf also looks kind of blast proof.

new topics

top topics

join