It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if 'God' simply wants to experience everything?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

That's the thing through, the old freewill versus predestination conundrum. Both seem to be in direct contradiction to one another. Im not suggesting that our lives are predetermined/scripted yet it would seem that where/when one is born certainly has an effect regrading our life choices. Then there is the issue of freewill which could arguable be denied to even exist.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: Profusion

taking your premise on faith - then it becomes impossible to defend the argument :

god is good

this is unacceptable for a certain demographic

Correct.

But their discomfort is their choice.

Kev

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Your second paragraph is definitely correct.

Kev

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

A being has no choice but to operate within the scope of its operating parameters. Whether "ant" or "god".

Kev

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Doesn't have the free will not to experience everything.

So the excrement work gets farmed out.

Kev

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

I don't think god exists, to be honest. It is byproduct of humans cultural and psychological evolution. We observe nature and claim the wind is god...
Where would he be hiding? Dark energy?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Well, all human conceptions of "God" are pure excrement it's true.

We can talk more about "god" anytime you want....but actual God talk is pointless.

Giving currently unknowable laws of physics a name like that....and then worshipping human generated fantasy wish fulfillment mental illness is counterproductive.

Kev

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

Not sure what you mean?

I was saying an antimone is a paradox.
This statement is false. To be true is a paradox.

Kants antimonies was my reference

Reality can not be know by its true nature just our perception. Is basically what I am saying.

Transidential realism.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

That's the thing through, the old freewill versus predestination conundrum. Both seem to be in direct contradiction to one another. Im not suggesting that our lives are predetermined/scripted yet it would seem that where/when one is born certainly has an effect regrading our life choices. Then there is the issue of freewill which could arguable be denied to even exist.

would you give a death star the brains to pull its own trigger?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I hope I won't regret this.

Many years ago I had an odd experience. Perhaps it was a dream. Perhaps it was a vision. To me it was simply an unusual experience. I am hoping that it might shed some light, or at least a different point of view, towards these unanswerable questions. If not, please accept my good will intention.

In this experience, I found myself floating on my back in what appeared to be a kind of empty space. I had the impression that I was about 4 feet off the ground, but I don't know why I had that impression. I felt alarmed because I didn't know where I was, nor what was happening.

Then I became aware of a grayish fog that seemed to encompass my body and it begin to separate itself from me and began to move towards the area of where the floor would be, if there had been a floor. I didn't know what that fog was but it seemed that it was a part of me, and I continued to feel a certain alarm, as I didn't know the purpose of this fog and if it were a necessary part of me. As the fog separated from me, my body felt lighter and it began to float a bit higher, as if the loss of this fog had upset a certain equilibrium. Again, my alarm grew because I was now moving higher and didn't understand how or why, nor what would cause this movement to stop.

At that point, once I had risen maybe 6 inches or so, thousands of very small lights began to enter into me from all directions. As these lights entered, they seemed to allow for a displacement of the fog and I ceased to float higher and became stabilized. In fact, I may have gone back down to the original position but I have forgotten that detail, as I have not thought of this experience for many years. It is the questions raised by this post that has reminded me of this.

Once my positioning had stabilized, my alarm switched to more of a calm curiosity. The lights that had been flowing towards me, that seemed countless, now took on a different quality and began to circle up, around, beneath, through me and up again, on both sides of me, as if it were a strange doughnut type of light show, or the way we see the electromagnetic field being shown going around the earth. On my left side, they were circling up and to the left. On my right side, they were circling up and to the right. There was no sound discerned in any of this.

This seemed to last for only five seconds or so, and then it stopped, but the experience seemed to be seamless as it continued to unfold. On my right side, I became aware of a large rock, perhaps half my size in bulk. When I looked at it, I spontaneously entered into it and became the rock. I was still me, but I was also the rock. I could feel that the rock was alive and had its own consciousness that simply shared and co-existed with me at that moment. And then I was back at the spot where it had begun. On my left side, I became aware of a small tree, again about half my size and upon looking at it, I entered into it and became the tree. I was again, still me, but also the tree, and shared its consciousness for a moment. And then I went back to the spot where it had all begun, floating again on my back. I was aware of my own consciousness as being independent of all three: myself, the rock and the tree, and I felt a curious shame and wonder, to realize that I was no less and no more important than they.

At that point I became aware of a sound. It was coming from above me, with the impression of it being perhaps the distance away of a 20 story building, up and barely to the left of me. As my attention turned towards it, and actually began to go past it, I realized that it was the sound of a most powerful man speaking and I could barely make out the sensation of visions within visions. I wondered what that was, and who that was, and I somehow knew a riddle, that this was "The Voice of Genesis." Now, logic would protest but this was not a place for logic. This was something mysterious that was unfolding and I was simply a passive and curious observer. While I couldn't make out any of the words, I could feel the power of them and could sense that everything was unfolding according to what this Voice was saying.

But as I moved beyond that Voice, just a tad higher and beyond it, my understanding of what was happening changed. I had a sudden knowledge that even though things were unfolding according to that Voice, that it was not that Voice that was causing anything to unfold. I actually felt a little embarrassed for it, as it sounded very confident in its own declarations. But what I knew to be true was that everything was unfolding as it should and would continue to unfold, even if this Voice were to become silent.

At this point I became aware of a "Presence" that was higher still above me, again, just ever so slightly to the left, and so high up in distance from me that I would need to travel perhaps the distance of a high flying plane, or to the moon, or to a star. It was beyond my ability to have a sense of measurement, but I found myself being drawn towards it. I seemed to travel rather quickly towards it, but then just shy of reaching it, I stopped. I don't know how I stopped, nor what stopped me, but I was flooded with the impression that I could not go any further -- that I was not allowed to go any further. Still, I had gone close enough to discover that this was the Origin of Everything -- and to my shock, that It was Impersonal.

The experience ended there.

This experience shattered any previous feelings I had of a warm and fuzzy God, or of a scary God for that matter. I was actually almost disappointed. But mostly I was awe struck and I felt privileged for the experience, regardless of its origin.

Do I understand it? Not a bit.

There are things beyond our understanding, but that doesn't stop us from wondering. In fact, it has us wonder all the more. Do I believe in God? Yes, but not the God I was taught to believe in. Instead, I turn my beliefs towards the multitude of messengers, or rather, their message, but always allowing for a difference of interpretation, culture, semantics and understanding. Perhaps some day, when my own journey has ended, I will know, but for now, I accept the Unknowable.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Depends on the brain I suppose.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Depends on the brain I suppose.

the answer ought to be no. giving any kind of weapon sentience is cruel and unusual. to both be aware and to be made for war is a terrible fate to bestow on anyone.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Sentience is what it is im afraid. As to whether or not its cruel? Well just like good or evil, cruel is a very Human construct.

From our Human perspective we could say that nature is cruel, but really it just being efficient.

Humans are not "made for war" per say, we just happen to be an apex predator that developed through evolution the correct tools and appendages to conquer and subdue our environment to suite our needs.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I was kind of on board with this idea for a while, its something Alan Watts and Fred Alan Wolf have postulated, but I have a problem with it. I don't care how jaded or bored as an immortal cosmic entity I would become, I just can't fathom wanting to experience certain things, like burning alive, being eaten alive, chopped up,or murdered. I just can't imagine that ever being something a sentient being would want to experience. I can see wanting to experience bliss, but not the nasty stuff. But maybe after a few billion years of non stop bliss you want to have other kinds of things happen. Just cant see horrible pain or death being one of them.
edit on 1-2-2016 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
What i'm going to say won't be popular with some people here.

If 'God' wants to experience everything then it wasn't perfect to begin with.

Apparently this is said about God

Matthew 5:48 God is Perfect

dictionary.com - PERFECT entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings

dictionary.com - WANT a sense of lack or need of something:

If God tells us to 'Want for Nothing' then why does he/it. This would indicate that God lacks something and is not therefore Perfect.

The same logic as God saying 'Do not kill' and 'Love your Enemies' ,and then kills others, often times his own enemies.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

I was kind of on board with this idea for a while, its something Alan Watts and Fred Alan Wolf have postulated, but I have a problem with it. I don't care how jaded or bored as an immortal cosmic entity I would become, I just can't fathom wanting to experience certain things, like burning alive, being eaten alive, chopped up,or murdered. I just can't imagine that ever being something a sentient being would want to experience. I can see wanting to experience bliss, but not the nasty stuff. But maybe after a few billion years of non stop bliss you want to have other kinds of things happen. Just cant see horrible pain or death being one of them.

I have never heard of Alan Watts or Fred Alan and I expect the OP had the insight in the same way as I did - all by himself/herself. It just seems very plausible that God stepped out of himself to be able to have a good look at himself and then split into millions of sparks in order to learn about what he is. In a sense , the Hermetic Qabalah supports this notion.

As for the cruelty of human suffering, I guess this is only illusionary and God somehow finds it amusing. If you can't die , why not make it theatrical.

Even our so called God is a manifestation of a higher God. He is doing the same thing as we are doing . Trying to understand his purpose through experience.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

I wanted to quote some of your post but it would not do it justice unless I quoted the whole post. As it is a long one , I decided to quote nothing.

Your experience is very interesting. I believe that it really happened and I can tell from the detailed description that you were really there.

You are making a very good point that consciousness exists irrespective of the vehicle it occupies.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies

Thank you for the validation. I'm new here and overwhelmed by the site. Any intellect went out the window when I saw that I had a star. Like a little kid, I went to look at it again, and now there are three. Not sure what it means, but I assume it's a good thing. Anyway, thanks for the thrill.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Well, if it did want to experience everything, it would have had to relinquish itself to being powerless, and clueless as to any and all outcomes.

One cannot OBSERVE without affecting the outcomes, therefore would not be able to experience everything.

Unfortunately after it deleted its own ability to interfere, and/or observe, other segments of the scattered remains have begun to try and rebuild everything, in the original image, and have failed badly.

And now we have a Universe etc. full of all manner of screwed up energies that are about to FULLY be lost forever.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Godthief

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

a reply to: vethumanbeing

There are no rules or limits where omnipotence is concerned, only will.

I agree. Cosmic will is from which comes all life (shape and form) Unity in diversity. The One becomes the many.
which makes all the many all the one once travelled each individual path arrive as equals unity is necessary. God doesn't tell man what to do. We are governed by our will to be governed. Yeah I'm God but so are you so stop telling me I became God wrong. My source is all of you the knowledge and wisdom of a world inhabited by gods. Stop telling people what to do. I'm not telling you what to do I don't give a # but I'm going to start breaking # on a major #ing scale. Your warned. Of I could kill you all I would. Love you.

Your welcome.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join