It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if 'God' simply wants to experience everything?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: akushla99

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: Punisher75

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: Punisher75
I see a flaw in there. Because I know how riding a bike feels. But maybe I want to experience it again?

Again this is already assuming that God is inherently evil or careless.

It also assumes that God is not God via way of limiting Gods Power to experience without the need to actively do anything to make it so. Omnipotence is by definition not something that need to be activated.

Omnipotent God equals no free will.

If God knows everything he knows what you will do in any situation. It's a logical paradox when combined with free will.

Not strictly true, at all...

Å99

Explain the definition of omnipotent. Explain how you have free will if God knows everthing

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I see a flaw in there. Because I know how riding a bike feels. But maybe I want to experience it again?

It also assumes that God is not God via way of limiting Gods Power to experience without the need to actively do anything to make it so. Omnipotence is by definition not something that need to be activated.

If God knows everything he knows what you will do in any situation. It's a logical paradox when combined with free will.

No Omnipotent means all powerful

om·nip·o·tent
ˌämˈnipəd(ə)nt/
adjective
adjective: omnipotent

(of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.

Your thinking Omniscient.

om·nis·cient
ämˈniSHənt/
adjective
adjective: omniscient

knowing everything.
"the story is told by an omniscient narrator"
synonyms: all-knowing, all-wise, all-seeing
"he thought I was some kind of omniscient

You will note that neither definition means "all acting" or some such.
edit on 29-1-2016 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Å99

Explain the definition of omnipotent. Explain how you have free will if God knows everthing

Knowing everything doesn't mean you have a 'hand' in everything...simple...

Å99

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I thought that perhaps I would introduce a link to an article that addresses the concept of an all knowing God not doing away with "free will." for those who are actually curious enough to read it.

www.iep.utm.edu...

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

No Omnipotent means all powerful

om·nip·o·tent
ˌämˈnipəd(ə)nt/
adjective
adjective: omnipotent

(of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.

Your thinking Omniscient.

omscientnis·cient
ämˈniSHənt/
adjective
adjective: omniscient

knowing everything.
"the story is told by an omniscient narrator"
synonyms: all-knowing, all-wise, all-seeing
"he thought I was some kind of omniscient

You will note that neither definition means "all acting" or some such.

Yes you are correct. I retract my last claims.
I am really sick with a cold and meant omniscient. Which is another aspect Christians gave to God but later had to retract

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Å99

Å99

Then it's not all knowing.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Å99

Å99

The fatal flaw of christianity, in general, is that the word Almighty is bandied around as if they really believed it, but credit a fictitious created being with the capacity to challenge its creator...that logic is inexcusable...

Å99

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Å99

Å99

Then it's not all knowing.

Explain how you come to this conclusion, since you are all-knowing on the subject of all-knowingness, but are having a problem getting that message out...it really should be quite obvious...

Å99

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I thought that perhaps I would introduce a link to an article that addresses the concept of an all knowing God not doing away with "free will." for those who are actually curious enough to read it.

www.iep.utm.edu...

I've read it when studying Aquinas. It is a retraction after loosing debates and thinking through the problem since Jesuits were the educators they needed to come up with a solution to the problem. It's not a good arguement.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

The fatal flaw of christianity, in general, is that the word Almighty is bandied around as if they really believed it, but credit a fictitious created being with the capacity to challenge its creator...that logic is inexcusable...

Å99

Who is this created being who can Challenge Gods sovereignty?
Do you mean created beings who can use free will to do things he don't like?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
luthier

I've read it when studying Aquinas. It is a retraction after loosing debates and thinking through the problem since Jesuits were the educators they needed to come up with a solution to the problem. It's not a good arguement.

Whats the fatal flaw in the argument to your way of thinking?
edit on 29-1-2016 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Å99

Who is this created being who can Challenge Gods sovereignty?
Do you mean created beings who can use free will to do things he don't like?

If you've read the final chapter of the blockbuster, you'll know what fictitious being I've mentioned.

Å99

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: akushla99
ATS is full of strange theology, I don't know yours, so can you be a bit more specific?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

But life on this planet only exists in less than 1% of the universe. How is that "experiencing everything"?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

ATS is full of strange theology, I don't know yours, so can you be a bit more specific?

The little golden book of inconsistency, brought to you by generations of the vagaries of the human brain to comprehend very simple ideas...

Å99

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

The little golden book of inconsistency, brought to you by generations of the vagaries of the human brain to comprehend very simple ideas...

Å99

So what your saying is your not actually interested in the topic but rather interested in insulting people of faith and their beliefs.
Gotcha, this would explain your hermenutic.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

luthier

Is God a perfect being?

If so how can he have imperfect knowledge?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Profusion

But life on this planet only exists in less than 1% of the universe. How is that "experiencing everything"?

He may be saying God is everywhere there is consciousness.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

luthier

Is God a perfect being?

If so how can he have imperfect knowledge?

I don't think you understand middle knowledge.

It is best characterized as God's prevolitional knowledge of all true counterfactuals of creaturely freedom.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Å99

So what your saying is your not actually interested in the topic but rather interested in insulting people of faith and their beliefs.
Gotcha, this would explain your hermenutic.

No...that's what you'd like to think I was saying, so you could accuse me of being insulting, and divert from the OP.

The OP stands, and so do my comments.

Now, discuss the OP, not me.

Å99
edit on 29-1-2016 by akushla99 because: Diversion therapy

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join