It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Jackson To Be Played By Joseph Fiennes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I hear you, it's good that the spotlight has been put on Hollywood and they deserve it for a lot of the exclusion that's gone on over the years. Next year they'll probably redo the Halle Berry and Denzel thing and just hand them out to whoever as a condescending pat on the head to try to prove it's changed, then it'll be back to business.

I dunno, this didn't annoy me nearly as much as the prospect of Gods Of Egypt or that terrible Moses movie.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Yeah I found those types of flick much more annoying because I know they cause alot more confusion among the much of the public who believed that Kemites looked that..but even then I shrugged my shoulders and go yeah waddevea

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This is a weird one for me in that usually i would be right behind you in this type of situation. However, i do actually kind of agree with Fiennes himself here when he says the Michael Jackson he will be playing (at that stage of Jacko's life) was more white than anything. This is crucial regarding this particular film because it isn't about Michael Jackson per say, it is very specifically about the (urban legend) Road Trip around 9/11. Also, it is a spoof rather than a biopic.

As to the Oscars thing, beyond Idris Elba in Beasts of No Nation, all the black actors in the films touted in the media weren't actually that great this year. Not saying they were bad performances but the Oscars are supposed to be for the best performances. Was Straight Outta Compton really that good? I enjoyed it, but it isn't anything special. Will Smith is ok in concussion but certainly not his best performance - i could go on.

Not saying there is no issue there, just more that this year is a terrible year to hold up as an example (again, minus Idris - that is a truly wonderful film).

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I'm so confused. Who do I call a racist in this situation??

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
I'm so confused. Who do I call a racist in this situation??

Not anyone, I don't think individuals sat around thinking how can I go and fu@$% with Black folks today, if anything I think it's more institutional in a neglectful unthinking kinda a way, mixed in with presumed marketability.
edit on 29-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

As my husband remarked earlier, Michael Jackson was sort of the first Rachael Dolezal, only in reverse. And it seems he was a bit like that man who thinks he's a 6 year old girl too in that Jackson apparently never wanted to grow up.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Allegedly!!!

That's ignorant.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Which?

That he wanted to be white or that he wished he was still a little boy?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yeah you make some good points and I'm open to ideas too. It seems to me that the Ptah awards would be doing the exact same thing as the Oscars are criticised for doing, right?

'Well, if you prejudiced assholes want a party to yourselves, we'll have ourselves a party too and you ain't invited!'

It's hardly MLK is it? Those ageing white Hollywood guys would be justified to keep ignoring black industry guys if they had their own awards. Kinda passive aggressive too.

It'd be so good to see any black nominees not turn up and any winners to refuse acceptance. They'd still have the W in their biogs and the publicity sh!t storm would raise their profiles and turn the heat up on the Oscar panel folk.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
A white guy playing...a.....er....white guy?? No issue here.
If this was Jackson in his younger days when he was black then sure, would be baffling but he was ridiculously white in his latter years and had the face of a skinny white woman.

Seems logical a white guy would play him to be quiet honest.

The film sounds hilarious and messed up btw.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join