It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Jackson To Be Played By Joseph Fiennes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Joseph Fiennes, a White Actor, Will Play Michael
Jackson in a TV Special.

If we’re to believe Elizabeth Taylor’s former assistant Sam Kashner, in the days immediately following the Sept. 11 attacks, Taylor, Michael Jackson, and Marlon Brando took a road trip together in an attempt to flee New York City. The story is of dubious nature even when you consider the bizarre tics and lifestyles of the three major players involved, but that doesn’t make it any less entertaining to imagine, as Zadie Smith did in a humorous short fiction story for the New Yorker last year. And so it’s only natural that someone would want to recreate this urban legend for the screen.

Enter Scottish journalist Neil Forsyth, who has written the untitled half-hour TV special adaptation, and which has now announced its main stars: Stockard Channing as Taylor, Brian Cox as Brando, and … Joseph Fiennes as the King of Pop???*

Ah, yes—Fiennes, a white English actor probably best known for playing Shakespeare, in love, is portraying the most iconic black American musician in the world. The announcement is certainly deserving of a double take, but if you think about it, this issue was bound to come up sooner or later: In any serious film involving a depiction of Jackson spanning several decades (or just covering his late-’80s period from Bad on), the question of whether you cast a black or white actor (or both) to play the part seems like a legitimate thing to ponder. After all, Jackson himself embraced his ever-morphing physical appearance both in life and in his music videos, and so taking creative liberties for a movie about him shouldn’t seem totally out of line, right?
www.slate.com...< br />

Now am I terribly upset?? no! but I am concerned though given the white out of Oscar nominees for non white actors for two consecutive yrs, this goes into complaints that Black and other non white actors get bypassed for leading roles which would or could put them on the road to Oscar and film immortality, in another thread dealing with the whiteout I gave my answer to that..black folks simply should create the Ptah awards and make movies which would create spin off jobs for hundreds potential black owned business from caterers to carpenters.
Now why I am not terribly upset that Joseph Fiennes will play the king of pop, one his is a fine actor and could pull it off, given the way Micheal looked in his later years it's not a stretch that if he wasn't known he could passed for white.
On the other hand many a Black actors could do the same job with little make up who would be just as talented and give a little more authenticity.
Btw I posted this here because tweeter is blowing up over this alotta people are upset, so it became a social issue than just a movie.
edit on 28-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This is payback for Cedric the Entertainer playing Ralph Kramden in the Honeymooners movie and Michael Clarke Duncan playing the Kingpin in the Daredevil movie and Michael B Jordan playing the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four reboot.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
This is payback for Cedric the Entertainer playing Ralph Kramden in the Honeymooners movie and Michael Clarke Duncan playing the Kingpin in the Daredevil movie and Michael B Jordan playing the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four reboot.

Except for Ralph Kramden character which was a remake in which all the characters were black as more of a spoof more than anything else the other two are fictional characters MJ was not .

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Thank you for telling me that a person that can turn into flames and fly thru the air is a fictional character. I had no idea.

But seriously, surely you can understand my point. Even if it was in jest.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer

Thank you for telling me that a person that can turn into flames and fly thru the air is a fictional character. I had no idea.

But seriously, surely you can understand my point. Even if it was in jest.

Hahah that did sound funny but yeah I understand your point but do get what I am saying, there are plenty of non white actors and actresses that are under employed and all but a few get top billing even with in their supposedly own stories, this eventually leads to social issues regarding race real or imagined.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
there was a woman in dexter who looked just like Michael jackson,

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Eh, it's kind of a weird scenario. I feel like most movies can go with any race of actor to play any character (even if it's a book adaptation and the actor's race is different than the book character's), unless it affects the story. For example, a movie about a war between the "Aryan Brotherhood" and Blacks taking place in a federal penitentiary would be screwed up if Chris Rock was cast as the leader of the Aryan Brotherhood and Daniel Craig as the leader of the Blacks.

With this though, while I don't believe his "Blackness" (despite his skin color and facial features) is important to the story, they probably could have found a Black actor who could portray Michael Jackson and a highly skilled makeup artist to make him look a plasticy paper-white burn victim.

But... Because his physical appearance and persona seemed to transcend all boundaries, I believe he could have been adequately portrayed by anyone appropriately skilled, from a Black man to a Southeast Asian woman. More than just about any celebrity I can think of, I highly doubt he'd have a preference.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

We share much of the same points actually, but part of the current climate and discussion about race in Hollywood stemmed from the very real fact that AAs and other so-called minorities hardly get leading roles or even funding for movies outside the usual slave epics or Black ppl being objects of pity Steven Spielberg found out how difficult it was to raise funds for his sponsored WWII pic Red tails, incidentally just now Nate Parker's film at Sun-dance got a record breaking amount of money $17.5 mil for his movie Birth Of A Nation, a film about the uprising of Nat Turner..yes another Slave related flick but with out Black ppl being objects of pity.
I do think directors can play with characters but they should walk that fine line between cultural appropriation and art which is a very delicate balance, while keeping in mind of the innate unbalance of roles minorities play, when was the last time an Asian American got top billing in an American production much less Oscar nod.
edit on 29-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
maybe if jackson didnt bleach the s**t outta his skin then maybe a black actor would be playing him i mean the movie/show/whatever the hell it is, is supposed to be based on a short story that takes place after 9/11 right?
edit on 29-1-2016 by Rabb420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

I get your point and my first reaction was 'WTF?!' Straight away, I thought why the hell would a white guy play a black guy? It's beyond dumb.

The Michael Jackson in the film is early 2000s Jacko and he'd had his face restructured to look more like a white guy and the skin was white like a Japanese woman. A black actor would need to whiten up and use prosthetics to resemble Jackson whereas a white actor would only need a pointier nose. So my first reaction has given way to seeing their reasons.

I guess they could have sought out a lighter-skinned 'black' actor, but at that point we're losing sight of the issue right? Would we have to argue about how 'black' the actor would need to be first?

I'm all in with you when it comes to the Oscars being a white-centric show. There's no doubt in my mind that some inner prejudice is on display there. Next year there'll be a few black people in the industry getting nominations out of PR and shame. It'd be cool to see someone like Will Smith win one and then decline to accept it.

I can dig what you're saying about 'Ptah awards' and can see what you intend by it. Would it create more division? Would it be black industry folk becoming complicit in the skin-colour division? Would Hispanic industry folk be excluded from Ptah Awards? What about mixed people like Alicia Keys? Would it be based on skin shade like the old terms of mulattoes, high-yellows and quadroons?

The boycotts and negative publicity could be better for the cause than copying what was wrong in the first place.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rabb420
maybe if jackson didnt bleach the s**t outta his skin then maybe a black actor would be playing him i mean the movie/show/whatever the hell it is, is supposed to be based on a short story that takes place after 9/11 right?

Yes although he claimed he started because of a condition called Vertigo which I smelled bull, but Iam not his doctor however even skin bleaching is probably more relateable to ppl of color and the reasons why some chose to do so. but yes it's kind of a road trip movie.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I can dig what you're saying about 'Ptah awards' and can see what you intend by it. Would it create more division? Would it be black industry folk becoming complicit in the skin-colour division? Would Hispanic industry folk be excluded from Ptah Awards? What about mixed people like Alicia Keys? Would it be based on skin shade like the old terms of mulattoes, high-yellows and quadroons?

The boycotts and negative publicity could be better for the cause than copying what was wrong in the first place

But folks even mixed fall under the ethnic umbrella of African American, multi racial term is relatively new, Lena Horn for example remain a Black Diva despite her looking indistinguishable from many brunet white lady .
Now I am old enough to remember when MTV infamously didn't showcased any Black talent at all, well except MJ and the result BET was born and they crushed MTV in ratings to the point where they had to relent and start servicing the urban market, the original excuse was , MTV was geared to middle American kids [ Ie white kids] who would tune out should they see too many black faces, it just wasn't part of their business model, actually David Bowie called out the president of MTV on that, but the real change came through competition ,if there is a vacuum then smart people should fill it and in my view the Ptah awards and self funding for movies does just that.
Actually all Black or African American institution gave out awards to non Black ethnys I don't see why the Ptah awards would be any different, just that they control the mechanism for that institution.

edit on 29-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I don't even know of a black actor that could convincingly be MJ, it's not like he had any African features left after he started cutting em off.

As messed up as it is I totally get why they went with a white dude for this part.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
I don't even know of a black actor that could convincingly be MJ, it's not like he had any African features left after he started cutting em off.

As messed up as it is I totally get why they went with a white dude for this part.

To me there is a broader issue other than Joseph Fiennes playing MJ who is a fine actor and could more than likely kill it, am saying and it's probably ill timed on their part this came about at a time when well deserved scrutiny is being bought to bear on tinsel town, not just the Oscar in of it self but the economics and opportunities behind that industry not just the flashy everyday stuff I that could care less for.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Towards his later years, Michael Jackson actively tried to not look black which basically means you need someone who either doesn't look very black or you need to do a LOT of makeup on a black actor.

So the casting call for that is more or less wide open. You need to be looking for someone who can best pull off the physical mannerisms and reduce your need to do drastic makeup, especially if we're talking made for TV.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
They should have had two people cast to play Jackson, a black actor for his youth and Fiennes for his later, whiter, years.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I agree with both you guys ketsuko and AugustusMasonicus that the role was wide open although in this case his youth wasn't a factor as this was a road trip movie involving MJ, Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando and in a good year many people would have just frowned, but like I said before this was terrible timing when Hollywood is under scrutiny.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

It's not like they had Russell Crowe playing Doctor King or Daniel Day Lewis as Dredd Scott. He is playing a bleached black man.

I'm blacker than Michael Jackson.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It's not like they had Russell Crowe playing Doctor King or Daniel Day Lewis as Dredd Scott. He is playing a bleached black man.

I'm blacker than Michael Jackson.

C'mon everyone is blacker than MJ..

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
C'mon everyone is blacker than MJ..

Got a point there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join