It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am in utter disbelief that this 'Flat-Earth' nonsense has gained some attention

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

There are laws on what safety equipment must be on a plane flying over it though, and from a monetary standpoint, it makes no sense to equip it.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Yeah I agree about the search and rescue bit. That's why it was just a tiny mention. My point was the temperatures mainly.
edit on 293329/1/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
And about the whole circum navigation?

It's been done by boat a few times since the 80s. I believe the last sailboat was done in 2008?

Now, I know it's not a plane, but surely if you can circum navigate something it means it's on the inside of where you're travelling.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

They claim you just go in a giant circle inside the Earth, you aren't going straight.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

They claim you just go in a giant circle inside the Earth, you aren't going straight.

Well that makes no sense.

If Antarctica is meant to be the "edge" then it would be massive. If Antarctica is where it is and the size it is it would be a lot smaller.

So surely if it wa ms the "edge" it would take a lot longer to go round it than it actually does? Kind of the same with the faults with their flight times and distances.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

There is no Antarctica, it's a lie. People see the ice there and so they have to say something so they made up a lie about it being a continent. What they see is simply part of the giant ice wall surrounding the world. They don't allow people to go there, it's an off limit zone. If they let you go it's only to one of a few designated areas you can't travel at will to see the lie.

That's the claim.
edit on 29-1-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Maybe the planet is flat. That would account for all the missing socks and guitar picks that seem to have just fallen off the planet. Where do they go?

Off topic slightly but I will share. Guitar picks are often found inside your couch. When I tore mine apart to reupholster, I found a treasure of them! Those missing socks are all sucked up between your dryer tumbler drum via that small crack nearest the door. Lose too many of them and over time that dryer won't tumble. Lol. Throw those socks all in a netted wash bag and they won't get lost.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

why are we not allowed to fly over the south pole?

www.adventure-network.com...

you are.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
So what do they think happens if you go to the edge? Why do they think there is no photographic or video evidence of the edge of the earth? That's really all there is to it. I don't care about the curvature of the earth or any of that. I just know that nobody has ever found the edge. That's all the proof you'd really need.

The theory is that there is no "edge" and instead of being a continent, Antartica encircles the entire disk acting as an icewall and thus the reason the military has "sealed it off" despite admiral bird admitting on television it was a place of mass wealth pertaining to ores and other resources.
edit on 29-1-2016 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1

why are we not allowed to fly over the south pole?

www.adventure-network.com...

you are.

Just to be completely honest, you can book limited charter flights and even take a polar cruise but these these are chartered and sanctioned and no way reflect the ability to freely travel and explore the continent. Why anyone would wan't to do that independently is a little beyond me but many areas are off limits due to fragile environmental conditions they wan't undisturbed. At least, that is what is claimed.

I don't think the Earth is flat but I do know Antarctic exploration is extremely limited and heavily regulated, perhaps for the exact reasons they state it is but there are arguments that can be made for other reasons.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
B.o.B. is a fairly popular rapper that openly believes in the flat earth theory. His twitter feed is hilarious, especially when you add in all the fans that are becoming flat earthers because of him.
edit on 29-1-2016 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
B.o.B. is a fairly big rapper that openly believes in the flat earth theory.

I am a fairly big person too, and I believe the earth is round.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Helious

the theory being that Antarctica surrounds the flat Earth and is essentially the edge, brings up the issue of it's amazing vastness. It would take up the entire outer ring of the planet. Who could possibly protect an area that large? Hell the US can't even effectively monitor it's southern border, let alone the entire border of the planet. (and all in complete secrecy)

Knowing that, a private plane should be able to fly in any direction and eventually, be at the edge of the Earth. Yet, not one, EVER, not ONE picture exists showing this edge.

But I did hear of an infinite plane idea earlier. (If that was the case, land would be something infinite and free. But it isn't.)

There just isn't any bit of this theory that stands up to reason.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Knowing that, a private plane should be able to fly in any direction and eventually, be at the edge of the Earth. Yet, not one, EVER, not ONE picture exists showing this edge.

Well, technically, if you flew long enough north or south, you would hit ice, a lot of it. and will not be able to continue flying because of fuel, regulations, cold conditions etc. If you fly east or west and you believed the flat Earth model you should also hit ice instead of simply circumnavigating the globe, seems like it would be easy enough to prove.

I find some of the flat Earth arguments simply asinine and have debated to death the people over at Eric Dubay's IFERS boards until I was banned but there are smarter arguments that have made me scratch my head as well.

Either way, the Earth is round, not flat, I keep telling them that but they don't seem to ever listen and call me a globe lover lol.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
after looking at the flat earth maps..pictures, a few pages back something occurred to me.
isnt that the same map thats on the United Nations flag?

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: M4nWithNoN4me

originally posted by: amazing
So what do they think happens if you go to the edge? Why do they think there is no photographic or video evidence of the edge of the earth? That's really all there is to it. I don't care about the curvature of the earth or any of that. I just know that nobody has ever found the edge. That's all the proof you'd really need.

In my limited interactions with persons who have some FE belief, their answer is always the same- "Pictures can be faked. Show it to me!"

I'm a little short on the cash required to contact the Russians and book passage for two to the International Space Station. Get back to me next week.

They believe there is a HUGE ice wall. Seriously.

www.theflatearthsociety.org...

They also believe that gravity is generated by the flat earth continually accelerating. Some one on the forums actually did the math on how fast the earth would be going after all this time and it was a staggering number.
edit on 29-1-2016 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

While I am obviously late in the thread, I have to add my two cents, everything you see that seems like wacky theories, point of view and ideas spreading in the net that make no sense, it actually does make sense, because it shows that you do not need to be just a regular person to understand that when it comes to human nature is always the self appointed leaders and those that follows.

Consider yourself lucky along with those that can see beyond the veil of control, but do not blame those that are influenced by the views of others, is just human nature.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

This type of foolishness exists for variety of reasons. Many are just ignorant. Some will try to profit of people's stupidity- Solar roads and many green energy projects come to mind.

People still believe in things like ancient aliens, evolution, the big bang, global warming, and many other crazy nonsense. Adding flat earth into the mix makes for some entertaining conversations. I consider those threads entertainment.
edit on 29-1-2016 by TheSorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Some one did the math again:

"Since several people in here think that gravity doesn't exist and the flat Earth is moving upwards with a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2, let's use a bit of elementary physics and mathematics to show why that is not possible.

The relationship between velocity (a quantity that takes into account speed AND direction of travel) and acceleration is the following:

v = v0 + (a*t)

where v is current velocity; v0 is the initial velocity; a is the acceleration and t is time. The units of measure are meters and seconds.

Now, to perform a simple calculation. When our planet began its existence, let's assume that its speed was 0 and let's keep a as 9.8 m/s^2. Let's see what the velocity of our planet would be after only one year (so t=31,536,000 seconds). Inserting the known values in the above equation we get:

v = 0 + (9.8 * 31,536,000) = 309,052,800 meters/second.

Explanation: the speed of light in vacuum is a universal constant and it's always 299,792,458 meters/second. It is the highest achievable speed in the universe. No object can possibly travel faster than the speed of light because there's a direct connection between speed and mass. In simple words, the faster an object travels, the heavier it gets and the mass increase is exponential. Even before reaching light speed, our object would have infinite mass. And you cannot have infinite mass because, in that case, your mass would instantly crush you and you collapse into yourself (you implode), turning into a black hole.

Now, according to the simple calculation above, after only ONE YEAR of existence, our planet's speed would be HIGHER than the speed of light. And we obviously don't move that fast. So moving at superluminal speed is not possible, because our planet would've been crushed by its own weight a long time ago.

Therefore, saying that our planet moves upwards with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 is not correct.

But I'm pretty sure you guys probably don't agree with my calculations."

I forgot how hilarious that site is! If I remeber correctly, only the earth is flat. The other planets, sun, and moon are spherical.
edit on 29-1-2016 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSorrow

This type of foolishness exists for variety of reasons. Many are just ignorant. Some will try to profit of people's stupidity- Solar roads and many green energy projects come to mind.

People still believe in things like ancient aliens, evolution, the big bang, global warming, and many other crazy nonsense. Adding flat earth into the mix makes for some entertaining conversations. I consider those threads entertainment.

the comparisons you used to FE believers is also crazy. in other words, no equivalence

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join