It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am in utter disbelief that this 'Flat-Earth' nonsense has gained some attention

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FlatBastard

The altitude is somewhere between 1ft and 1,000,000ft.

So no explanation of Polaris? Typical FE'r having to ignore things for their bs to work.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

You can see it at any altitude. But the higher you go the more obvious it is.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Around 10,600 meters or about 35,000 feet with a wide view, your eyes by themselves will see it.

At sea level, with unlimited visibility and a pair of binocs, you can watch ships as they slowly "sink" below the horizon, and also watch them appear to "rise" up out of the ocean and come closer.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Let me answer this poor guy's question from experience with some simple numbers. You can check google to back up my claims.

One should be able to see that the earth is round beginning at around 35,000 to 40,000' above the ground. Airline flights generally cruise in the 30-40k' range so on a high airline flight you should be able to see it. You would need a nearly cloudless horizon to get a good look at it, though, because clouds can obscure the curvature/horizon. Also mountainous terrain can make the curvature more difficult to detect.

Source: pilot.

Edit: too slow, someone else said 35k

edit on 30-12-2016 by servovenford because: (no reason given)

(post by FlatBastard removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: servovenford

Spoil sport

:p

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

So where are all the pics and footage showing this curvature. And people, remember fish eye lens distortion is not curvature.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlatBastard

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Funny how ballers start to contradict each other. Terry says you have to be very high, where I haven't been but he has, and you say we can see it any altitude......do you hear that Terry.

So question, why are we not seeing it?

Are you being obtuse? There is no contradiction. The higher you go the more obvious it is .. which is what everyone else said. I just posted 2 pics taken at sea level that show the curvature. The bottom of the buildings are hidden because the curvature of the Earth only shows the tops.

At sea level you just need to be smarter to see it. At 35k feet it's just obvious if you have working eyes and a clear sky.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Funny how ballers start to contradict each other. Terry says you have to be very high, where I haven't been but he has, and you say we can see it any altitude......do you hear that Terry.

So question, why are we not seeing it?

Of course you can see it at any altitude. I never said you couldn't. It's just less likely. It's just easier to see it at higher altitudes.

The altitude I was at was a little over 1000ft on a little island called Nordcapp.

Explanation of Polaris ready yet?
edit on 30122016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

So where are all the pics and footage showing this curvature. And people, remember fish eye lens distortion is not curvature.

Page 31, bottom of the page, I posted 2 pics showing it.

Now explain polaris .. and explain what causes the moon phases.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The less "stuff" on the horizon (mountains, hills, clouds, buildings, trees, etc), the easier it is to detect the curvature from any altitude, but echoing everyone here, the higher you go, the easier it gets.

Have you seen the pictures of earth from the moon? Or are you going to go on to tell me NASA faked the moon landing(s), too? Looks pretty round to me.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

He claims all pics are fake unless he agrees with them.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

NASA "faked all the images". That's what they say. Check out his post history where he details a thread about photos of Saturn.

All I see from FE'rs is selective denial. "It's not real because I've not seen it, but this random person on YouTube is telling the troof!"
edit on 30122016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Thanks...is it a funny film?

Is it worth seeing?

Might check it out.

Looks like Flatbastard has left the building...or walked off the edge!

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Both you pics are outstanding examples of the curve of the earth at sea level. Let me embed them for all to see:

skyline close up:

skyline from far enough away to where the buildings appear to be "sinking" due to the curve of the earth:

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon

It's actually quite funny. It's a tongue in cheek look at a "what if" future.

Basically, imagine if everyone's education was adverts and YouTube. Then you'll get the gist of the film lol.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

That is the stuff of nightmares, dude.

I'm outta here.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TerminalVelocity

That or a large portion of the city went under water by about 30ft and no one noticed.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam
Well I suppose, when faced with the flat earth crowd, one could jump up and down, clapping their hands together with spastic glee, over joyed by the "obvious" ignorance they've discovered in "others". Not really a very impressive trick when it comes right down to it.

OR, one could quietly go about searching out the "flat earths" in their own thinking/positions, successfully done, a much more impressive and profitable bit of work.

To each his own I suppose.

Do I have too much pride to admit some of my conviction--that the Earth is an oblate ellipsoid--is exclusively sourced in my faith in the scientific institutions I've grown up with and usually cheer? I can point to things strongly favouring a globe earth, like the night sky, and do so happily, but it proves nothing really. Who was it 2000 years ago about mathematically showed the Earth is curved by measuring the angle of the sunlight at 2 different places some distance apart? His calculation for Earth's circumference was inaccurate, but still close to the actual number. That man is a genius. Did it despite the conditions in his world. Can't say the same for people like me. I'm deeply in his shadow. Maybe part of the reason I have faith in these institutions is because I want to believe people occasionally step outside the cave like he did and do brilliant things.

I guess I am a believer then. I believe our science knowledge has been earned on the backs of geniuses and devoted people over thousands of years. I have too much respect for all that to not have some faith in it.
edit on 12/30/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

If you do watch the film, you'll realise just how accurate it describes FE believers.

Also, you'll never look at Starbucks the same.

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join