It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am in utter disbelief that this 'Flat-Earth' nonsense has gained some attention

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NNN87

originally posted by: Bedlam
a reply to: NNN87

First, you'll need a topo map of both sides. Add in the ground elevation at both sides. You'll also need to know if the picture was taken above ground level (an issue for the last Toronto flat earth thread - there was a photo stand about 20 feet high). Also the photographer's height.

Haha haha none of you can explain why people can see objects over any calculated curvature. Yet alone a horizon over the calculated horizon. Wow

Atmospheric refraction of light rays?

I'm not sure what your debate is about so I'll go mind my business.
Hopefully that's what you were looking for though.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

You can start at one point and circle Antarctica in a weekend easy. Antarctica has about ~10,000 miles of coastline. FE gives it ~80,000. It's easy to tell in one weekend FE is wrong.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

First, you'll need a topo map of both sides. Add in the ground elevation at both sides. You'll also need to know if the picture was taken above ground level (an issue for the last Toronto flat earth thread - there was a photo stand about 20 feet high). Also the photographer's height.

Haha haha none of you can explain why people can see objects over any calculated curvature. Yet alone a horizon over the calculated horizon. Wow

So, you've gotten topo maps and know the heights of each side? oh, and you'll need the photos, and they'll need to have clear benchmarks of some sort. Not random scenery. The last Toronto skyliner who insisted the photo was down to the shoreline couldn't explain the absence of 350' tall buildings.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

It's tough to say, it's the usual 'can you ferret out what I'm thinking about' post.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

explain this :

flat earthers : explain this image :

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

explain this :

flat earthers : explain this image :

Tripods on the attack?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

You can start at one point and circle Antarctica in a weekend easy. Antarctica has about ~10,000 miles of coastline. FE gives it ~80,000. It's easy to tell in one weekend FE is wrong.

That isn't exploring it's interior and it doesn't in any way disprove the FE claim.

Their claim is that the Earth is a flat disk and that the circumference is Antarctica.
That means you'd fly along the circumference of the FE.

That's why I suggested meteors are the best and most simplest way to debunk FE theory, because it's indisputable and eradicates the 'firmament is impenetrable' claim.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

That isn't exploring it's interior and it doesn't in any way disprove the FE claim.

Their claim is that the Earth is a flat disk and that the circumference is Antarctica.
That means you'd fly along the circumference of the FE.

That's why I suggested meteors are the best and most simplest way to debunk FE theory, because it's indisputable and eradicates the 'firmament is impenetrable' claim.

We never mentioned a dome here, neither have we mentioned an edge or any sort of limit accept monatery and legal ones.

Where do meteorites come from? Why does there have to be some firmament? Why can one see islands and objects beyond the calculated curvature?
edit on 23-12-2016 by NNN87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Atmospheric refraction of light?

And FE relies on a firmament theory otherwise why are all planets and stars spheroid yet Earth is flat?

How do you explain the rotation of the sky without invoking a flat disk and a firmament?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

And FE relies on a firmament theory otherwise why are all planets and stars spheroid yet Earth is flat?

How do you explain the rotation of the sky without invoking a flat disk and a firmament?

If you or anyone else you know, can physically go up there, and that's including me. Can actually have the perspective you all claim is real, and touch those beautiful stars my self by going to such elevations what ever they may be, i will tell you as soon as something like that is possible, for anyone to do.

I don't, how the hell do they know if there is rotation of planets around the sun? How do they know what the galaxy actually looks like? No one has ever witnessed anything like it Ever in human history.

Your belief that the world is round is based on no personal experience ever, lights in the sky is all they are, cant go up there cant really tell you.

I think you people want me to mention a firmament: i don't believe in one, sorry you.can't use my lies as proof that the globe model is true.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

Yes.. isn't it a crazy theory? Can you imagine how flabbergasted those people must have felt when for example this guy Copernicus came along and told them about how things really are? They also must have thought...isn't it a crazy theory?

Let me be clear.. I am not a flat earther but are you not trying to assemble a choir to preach to ...assemble and together ridicule the theory in such a way that a person interested will have second thoughts examening this theory deeper?

I think it is very interesting. Of course some of their arguments can be debunked with educated explanations. But still, no matter what shape the earth has.. those who gave it some serious thought came up with some questions which answers fit beter into the flat than the sphere model of the earth.

Just my thoughts..

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
M4nWithNoN4me:

What is the draw of this whole idea, and how do people fall under its spell?

It's a frustrating nonsense that says more about the person doubting the oblate spheroid earth than it does the person who accepts it. It's a theory of dishonest intellectual contrariness that questions all the proven evidence against its claims. People are free to believe what they want, and I don't think it to be important that some one other should seek to change their mind, because in trying to do so, it legitimises their view.

A flat circular disk alters all the physics quite drastically:

1) The poles would be situated at the centre of the flat planet, where the planet's spin would be much slower than the outer edge.

2) Centrifugal force would drive from the centre of the disk outwards towards the edge, so if it was possible to have tectonic plate movement, all plates would drive outwards in the same direction towards the outer edge. All ocean currents and tides would show similar evidence, with shore lines closer to the outer edge having no beaches, whilst shore lines closer to the centre having wide expanses of beaches.

3) All magnetic filaments within the earth's crust would stand vertically pointing towards the centrally located magnetic poles. The north pole would be the side whose face would permanently show to the sun, and the south face not shown to the sun would be just deep thick ice, Bear in mind that a flat circular disk would only spin horizontally about its axis, it would not tumble end over end, so the south face would not ever see the sun.

4) There would be no precession of the stars. Oh hell, what am I saying here! There would be no night for the north face of the disk, and the south face would be permanent night.

So you see. To engage the debate means to dip one's toes into utter nonsense and provide scenarios that could not exist to prove the flat earth wrong. It is intellectual dishonesty, and ought not to be engaged.
edit on 24/12/16 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

get a telescope. Or, use your eyes and mind.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

appologies - i should explain - as the flat earth cultists will not do science

the picture is of the maunsell sea forts at red sands bank in the thames estury - they lie 10km from kent

and that pic came up in a google search underlated to my ATS activity - so i saved ait as it shows the absurdity of flat earth claims

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Yeah sure if you just ignore what he is saying and then twist it to say something he isn't.

There is empirical evidence that the earth is not flat, no scientist offers any disagreement there.

That youtuber is off the walls, why would anyone take him seriously?

yup, and why are there 2 threads about flat-earthers?.....is that because there are so many trump voters on ATS?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

theres a lot more than 2 flat earth delusion threads - but please dont drag partisan political wingnuttery into this

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

If you or anyone else you know, can physically go up there, and that's including me. Can actually have the perspective you all claim is real, and touch those beautiful stars my self by going to such elevations what ever they may be, i will tell you as soon as something like that is possible, for anyone to do.

I don't, how the hell do they know if there is rotation of planets around the sun? How do they know what the galaxy actually looks like? No one has ever witnessed anything like it Ever in human history.

Your belief that the world is round is based on no personal experience ever, lights in the sky is all they are, cant go up there cant really tell you.

I think you people want me to mention a firmament: i don't believe in one, sorry you.can't use my lies as proof that the globe model is true.

Ok let's start over.

Explain the "moon". What is it? What shape is it - a flat circular disk or a spherical object?

Does the moon rotate around the Earth ? How do you explain the tides?

There's no need for empirical experience here per se, these are purely logic based questions and certain concepts lead into other concepts.

For example, there's no way to "go touch the stars" as you suggest. The theory is that stars are massive spheres of plasma exhibiting such a temperature that it would be impossible to get close without being incinerated. What do you propose "stars" are if they are not burning balls of plasma?

What is your theory of "gravity" ? We can keep this purely theoretical, I just want to know how you'd explain these phenomena (moon, stars, gravity, etc).

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Ok. Try this experiment and prepare to have your mind BLOWN!!!

Youl need:
A buddy
two poles of equal height.
Two flat and level locations a few miles apart.
Two levels or a plumb line to ensure both polls are perfectly verticle.
A pair of watches that both tell the same time.

Step one. Have you and your buddy each man a pole. Ensure both polls are on level ground and plumb. (Perfectly upright)

Step 2. At the exact same time, say 1pm, measure the length of the polls shadows.

Step 3. Have mind blown when shadows are not the same length.

Bonus points if you can figure out why the shadows arent the same length.

Failure to determin the correct reason means simple men 3000 years ago and 15 year old children were/are smarter and better educated than you.

Or........simply ponder why the north hemisphere has opposite seasons in relation to the southern hemisphere. Wait, dont do that. Youd have to understand this concept of the earth being a sphere and its axis being tilted 23 degrees.

Lastly, wanna make a bet for 1000 dollarstthat the shadows will be different lengths? I hope you take me up on that, i could use the cash!!!!

edit on 24-12-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Lastly, wanna make a bet for 1000 dollars the shadows will be different lengths? I hope you take me up on that, i could use the cash!!!!

Well I don't have a buddy to try this experiment with, so I can't make a bet of 1000 bucks with you... but I'm pretty sure you have some other knowledge and experiments that can prove very useful to me that can greatly help your financial situation, Zaph can get some too.

When the people in suits show up to talk to you just tell them what you know.

I think the site owners should seek compensation too. Don't worry about not getting a cut, there's BILLIONS to be had.

On Topic...

With all the pictures we have from space, and undeniable proof of sending rockets into space how can anyone still sit here and claim that the earth is flat?

Even the hologram theory doesn't make sense because there has to be some sort of depth information to project.
edit on 24-12-2016 by gpols because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Ok. Try this experiment and prepare to have your mind BLOWN!!!

Youl need:
A buddy
two poles of equal height.
Two flat and level locations a few miles apart.
Two levels or a plumb line to ensure both polls are perfectly verticle.
A pair of watches that both tell the same time.

Step one. Have you and your buddy each man a pole. Ensure both polls are on level ground and plumb. (Perfectly upright)

Step 2. At the exact same time, say 1pm, measure the length of the polls shadows.

Step 3. Have mind blown when shadows are not the same length.

Bonus points if you can figure out why the shadows arent the same length.

Failure to determin the correct reason means simple men 3000 years ago and 15 year old children were/are smarter and better educated than you.

Or........simply ponder why the north hemisphere has opposite seasons in relation to the southern hemisphere. Wait, dont do that. Youd have to understand this concept of the earth being a sphere and its axis being tilted 23 degrees.

Lastly, wanna make a bet for 1000 dollarstthat the shadows will be different lengths? I hope you take me up on that, i could use the cash!!!!

I do want to try that experiment, anyone want to help? I want to use longer distances. As to triangulate the distance of the sun, which the same technique applys to the curvature, assuming the sun is millions of miles away.

Seasons can be mapped out on an equidistant projections, weather, air traffic, and even the movement of the ocean currents.

Seasons can work in a flat type of surface if the sun is closer, smaller and moves in a circle fashion keeping north as its only reference, as anyone with a compass would. Seasons them self might be due to the sun moving away during the winter seasons in the northern hemisphere, thus creating summer in the southern, once the season change the sun moves back closer to the north, the only reason we see sun sets is due to perspective, a natural law of eye sight.

Seeing forever even on a flat surface would be impossible, the atmosphere would cause obstructions and false horizons would be created due to land formation or weather.

My main and concern is and issue at hand, one can observe objects that should be hidden due to curvature, and its calculations which is the foundation of all globe theories.
edit on 24-12-2016 by NNN87 because: i made a booboo

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join