It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

black holes actually a star?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
A good friends and I were discussing possibilities of black holes and how that light cant even withstand the force. My question is. Is it possible that a blackhole is actually a star that we just cant see the light its emitting. The human eye can only see around 8% (guessing but i know its close) of all light.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Also, have ever think that stars we see in this universe are actully black holes in other universe...

Meaning...using this anology...the opposite of BLACK is WHITE and vice versa...

Duality or Opposite of something is pretty standard knowledge...

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well all black holes where once stars but I think your talking about White holes which is just a theory right now nobody has ever found one. Perhaps all white holes are in another dimension. If anything can punch through to another dimension I would put my money on a blackhole

We have other tools to see things in space besides the human eye so I doubt black holes are giving of some type of light we cant see. The only way we can even tell they are there is if the are feeding or the effects its gravity has on objects near it.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I thought a black hole was a collapsed star.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
A black hole could be any massive object that is a singularity and has an event horizon. They are usually the collapsed core of a super-massive star that went supernova. Extremely massive black holes are thought to exist at the centers of many spiral galaxies including the Milky Way. Black holes are now believed to give off mass and energy slowly over time by emitting Hawking radiation and eventually evaporate and disappear.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I know that Black holes are created from a collapsed star But has anyone explained how super massive black holes are created?

Was it just a bunch of smaller black holes combined over time to create a super one. Stars in the center of the galaxy are much more dense so would there be a greater chance for blackholes to swallow each other up there?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
mwen, maby when an object passes through a black hole, it reaches such a high temperture and then is spewed out of a white hole (thus a star)

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Although I was not aware of 'White Hole', I would not be surprise that it would exist...

This kind stuff make me on how human being or other life breath in and out...It's universe way of breathing in and out...figuratively speaking...

Is there some info on 'White Hole'?

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I know that Black holes are created from a collapsed star But has anyone explained how super massive black holes are created?

Was it just a bunch of smaller black holes combined over time to create a super one. Stars in the center of the galaxy are much more dense so would there be a greater chance for blackholes to swallow each other up there?

Most likely created by a black hole that has sucked up other many other stars, dust and gases in the very dense centers of galaxies.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
If two black holes collide they merge to form an even bigger blackhole, they would not destroy one another.

E_T

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creative_minds
mwen, maby when an object passes through a black hole, it reaches such a high temperture and then is spewed out of a white hole (thus a star)
Wrong, matter falling to blackhole gets hot because in inner accretion disc pressure and temperature are extremely high, it's just that when matter is compressed temperature rises.

For star to become blackhole it actually has to stop being star, with heavy enough stars radiation pressure is only thing which can prevent collapse of star to blackhole caused by gravity, so while fusion is burning star is always in balance between radiation pressure and gravity.
If radiation pressure weakens gravity compress star to smaller increasing temperature and fusion until balance is acquired, in other case when radiation pressure is bigger than gravity it causes swelling of star until it's again in balance. (that's what happens to our sun after ~5 billion years)

When fusion has proceeded to iron in core it can't anymore produce energy (/radiation pressure) core/whole star starts to collapse because of gravity.

Here's lot of stuff.
curious.astro.cornell.edu...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
i think that E_T could not have put it more perfectly. but then again, it was a very long description. i'm sorry, but it's true.
black holes used to be stars but when they become a black hole, they are a star no more.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well let me say something about the actual post topic. Before enstine and the 20th century an astronomer ( forget his name) asked his colleuge if it was bossible to have a star so massive that not even light could escape. This idea became known as the black star idea. it was not a black hole where the star colapsed and the singularity have infinite mass and infinite density. It was as simply as you put it a star that was so massive its own light couldn't escape.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a super massive black hole is basically still a theory even though one has been believed to be found in the andromeda galaxy. but a super massive black hole forms just like a regular blackhole juts it is in a galaxy usually and is feeding on light it is thought that black holes can have quiet spells and tsuff and almost be non existant. it is also thought that our galaxy may have a supermassive black hole in it and also formed because of it.

E_T

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantompatriot
a super massive black hole is basically still a theory...

It's more than theory, it's only thing which can explain how active galaxies produce so much energy in so small areas in their cores.

And there's one propably in almost every galaxy, it's just that in those galaxies where it has eaten all matter from close to itself it doesn't anymore send strong radiation and is basically "invisible", until it gets more matter.

And more clarification, it isn't simply mass which is required to cause blackhole. That matter has to be in small enough volume to bend space enough and matter becomes hot enough for fusion much before that density and radiation pressure stops collapse... unless there's no way for fusion to work meaning lack of light elements, which is achieved only after matter has gone through "star-phase" and fusion reactions.
(only very small part of universe's matter is something else than Hydrogen or Helium)

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
What Creative_minds said is correct I think. A black hole is just super compressed matter, not an "interdimensional hole or gateway to hell or another universe".

They're most likely to be essentially small planet-like objects with an incredible gravity due to the concentrated matter.

I read an article where scientists speculated that if all the matter in the Earth was compressed to the same degree of that of a black hole, then it would end up being about half the size of a ping pong ball.

Whether light and heat is still radiated from then is uncertain, because the gravitational pull prevents us getting a good "look"

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well if you're interested in about stars there's always... Astronomy: The Lives of Stars.

Or you could just read what E_T has to say. He's highly knowledgeable on the topic of astronomy.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20050110/sc_nm/space_holes_dc

I found this news topic, I thought you might be interested

It seems that matter can be accelerated faster than light...

E_T

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20050110/sc_nm/space_holes_dc

It seems that matter can be accelerated faster than light...
They don't say anything about stuff travelling faster than light.
And try to remember that c is almost 200 000 miles/second.

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
Or you could just read what E_T has to say. He's highly knowledgeable on the topic of astronomy.
"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."
-Andre Gide

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
-Douglas Adams

For a some reason I tend to agree with these gentlemen.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
For a some reason I tend to agree with these gentlemen.

I wonder why...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join