It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Born in the wrong species

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Meet Nano, a 20 year old girl born as a human, but really identifies as a cat. She meows, despises water and enjoys watching leaves rustle in the wind. Nano claims doctors as well as psychologists say there was a genetic defect during her birth that made her this way.

In the following youtube clip, you can watch a short interview with her that deals with her day-to-day living as a cat (it has english subtitles).

Unfortunately the journalist has done no work at all identifying experts that would expand on this condition. Fortunately though, a quick google search provides a hit immidiately identifying the condition as species dysphoria (wiki), or "species identity disorder".

I wasn't familiar with this condition from before, so I found it quite intriguing. But I'm sure at least some of you have heard of it before. Thought I might share this as it seems like a condition that's not been thorougly researched, and has not been discussed on ATS in the past from what I can tell.

The only thing I could find that touches on the subject is a paper from 2011 on how species dysphoria could relate to gender identity disorder, and if this is a valid comparison or not. But it also looks like they focus on something called "Furries" which is some kind of fandom. I appologize for not presenting this more thoroughly, but you can read the paper here if you are so inclined:

Furries and the Limits of Species Identity Disorder: A Response to Gerbasi et al.

I observe from the video that she describes how a human would react to something, and then compare that to how a cat would percieve or react to the same. It's almost like she chooses favourably to the cat personality than the human personality. From my expertise of being an armchair psychologist, this seems like a sort of schizophrenia. But now I'm in dangerous waters, and leave it at that.
edit on 28/1/16 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Droogie

Pittsburgh Man Thinks He's a Dog, Goes By Name 'Boomer'

I heard about this guy on Tosh.O

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
(If I believed in Hell, my tickets are set)

Species identity disorder?

I knew it. I always knew I was a Turtle.

Do Turtles have to pay taxes or...?
edit on 28-1-2016 by RomeByFire because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Attention seeking BS.
2nd.

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
"I'm a cat....meeooowwwww"

"No, you're insane....SLAP"

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

She has no "genetic defect".
She has an acute case of moronitis, nothing more.

As David says, attention seeking BS.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Is she spayed?

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Is she spayed?

One can only hope. We don't need any more little kittens of her type around.

But, you know we can't discriminate against her so we'll be mandated to put litter boxes in public restrooms before long.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
So much going on in the world... and we're spending time and money looking into this...
I do think it's a disorder and not anything to do with species distinction but mental instability and lack of having your feet on the ground.
Sorry if I offend anyone but I bet you anything that if you put these types of people in a survival situation they will change their ways... hunger and a looming possibility of dying will change a human... trust me

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

lol

That is disturbingly likely.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Thanks! Great article!

In one aspect I find it hilarious, but chose to leave that out from the OP. It's certainly intriguing when you think of it on a psychological level. It's unfortunate I couldn't find more on it, hopefully when I have more time..

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Is she spayed?

Sounds like a job for Bob Barker.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Yeah it's interesting. Part of me wants to write it off as attention seeking behavior, but you never know. It's not hurting anyone, so let them do what they want.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I don't have any information on that. But it's an interesting question, we should ask the owner.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hey,I always thought that I was a cat...meow!

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Agreed! It certainly could be attention seeking, but where does the motivation come from to act like a cat of all things? It might not matter why, but maybe it's a legitimate question that leads somewhere.

Anyway, as you say, if she's not hurting anyone I'm all for it. Meow!

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Cat lives matter. Meaow!
Really, what a special little snowflake. I bet when her mom said she could be anything she wanted, she didn't mean a cat. Oh well just give her a box and a ball of string and she should be fine.
edit on 28-1-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

At the very least, taking it seriously enough to explore its origins mentally can help us learn new things about how our brains work. Nothing wrong with being open minded there.
edit on 28-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Droogie

Agreed! It certainly could be attention seeking, but where does the motivation come from to act like a cat of all things? It might not matter why, but maybe it's a legitimate question that leads somewhere.

Anyway, as you say, if she's not hurting anyone I'm all for it. Meow!

I think this is simply a stage 9 case of toxoplasmosis.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Great reply, thanks for that!

Absolutely the right attitude!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join