It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan's Economy Minister (lead negotiator for TPP) Quits amid Bribery Claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Akira Amari will be resigning amidst this scandal - The guy is referred to by some as the "architect" behind Abenomics (of Prime Minister Shinzō Abe), and was Japan's lead negotiator for the TPP deal. This is kind of big I guess you could say...

Mr Amari unexpectedly made the announcement at a press conference in Tokyo on Thursday.

But he again denied personally receiving bribes from a construction company, as had been alleged by a Japanese magazine.

The development will be seen as a significant blow for Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Mr Amari, who has been minister of state for economic and fiscal policy since late 2012, has been widely described as one of Mr Abe's most trusted members of parliament.

As Japan's lead negotiator for the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement, Mr Amari was expected to travel to New Zealand next week to sign the agreement.

And just like the politicians here in the west, it's of course, his staff's fault:

A local magazine had reported last week that Mr Amari and his aides were given money and gifts worth some 12m yen ($101,000; £70,500) by a construction company in return for some favours linked to land ownership.

Mr Amari said he did receive money which he wanted declared as a political donation, however, he said some of it was mishandled by his staff.

Is this Japan's equivalent to the email scandal for Hillary? Or can you not even really compare the two? anyway, I find it interesting.

The bigger question is, how corrupt is the (already sketch) TPP deal? We may not know until it's too late, apparently it will be "signed in" on February 4th

BBC

Link to the signing of TPP act in NZ next week

www.bna.com...

Found another article from Bloomberg going further into detail (more talk about Abenomics in it as well): Bloomberg
edit on 28-1-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

So at a press conference, he apparently speaks for 34 minutes in a "spirited" defense and proclamation of his innocence, integrity, etc.

and then, around that 34 minute mark, says he needs to take responsibility and is stepping down

I'd say he is either playing by someone else's rules and answering to them, or he is full of ****

NVM, I bet both of those are true. They gave him the "option" of taking the fall, otherwise they would throw him under the bus. He is guilty of something here.

Then you look at people like Bernie Madoff, and others who are forced into submission. I think Mr. Amiri here is complying with the overlords - just my 2 cents

edit on 28-1-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Truth be known ,I think anything associated with the TPP is a scandal .imo . Too many questions that were and are not being answered to have any clue as to just wth it is . It seems to be more of a attempt to isolate China then anything else .Not sure the west is going to be able to pull the full meal deal off and we may be left with a small group being able to cover the economic asses in the end .

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Its high time people everywhere demanded such negotiations be completely transparent....or no deal.....
I have no doubt the majority of our rulers take anything they think they can get away with......
Its human nature.....so easily corrupted.....it makes one want to gag....
There are no checks and balances.....

top topics

join