It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Hit by Extreme Winter Weather

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It has been several days, and what many say seems to be a never ending series of storms in California and over much of the Western U.S.A. The cause of this unusual weather pattern is unknown.. Though some speculate it could be a part of the extreme global weather resulting from global warming, warmer than normal ocean currents, and potential climate change....

CNN.com Full Report Link

Another winter blast spread rain and heavy snow across California on Saturday as residents of waterlogged areas that were stripped by wildfires braced for flash flooding and mudslides.

As much as six feet (two meters) of snow was possible during the weekend in the northern Sierra Nevada, delighting skiers, while homeowners rushed to pile sandbags in Southern California, where some neighborhoods below the San Bernardino Mountains east of Los Angeles received more than a half-inch of rain every hour.

"I used to love the rain," said Dallas Branscone of San Bernardino County's Devore area. "Now, I dread all these storms."

In the East, heavy rain and snow that fell earlier in the week caused flooding along the Ohio River that was chasing some residents out of their homes in communities in West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky. Meteorologists predicted the river would reach its highest level in eight years at Louisville, Kentucky.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just an observation here, looking back through old data available through NOAA, the last year has seen a lot of anomalus weather and extreme weather. NASA has confirmed the weakening of North Atlantic ocean currents... Polar ice is melting at a consistent rate... And average global temperatures are slowly rising.

This extreme weather in the western U.S.A. may not be all that unusual.. It has happened before, and will likely happen again. Though when one looks at extreme weather events for the last 12 month period on a global scale a pattern can be seen.. Is it unusual or are we just looking at things more than ever before?

There is a theory that will show that our planet has a natural cycle of warming and cooling in the northern hemisphere, and usually occurs in 10,000 year cycles.

Many suspect we are at or very near the end of the warm phase of this cycle, if true extreme weather events such as the one above and the many seen over the last year should continue to grow and even get worse.

Parts of the South Western U.S.A. has seen record drought conditions in the very recent past, so far these areas are starting off 2005 wetter than ever. Some of the desert regions of California, Nevada, Arizona, and southern Utah have reported rain totals in some cases from 10 to 20 inches over the last 30 days.

All we can do is watch and monitor these weather systems.. Try to better understand these weather anomalies.. And hope that the theories of some of these scientists are wrong.

If they are right, we are going to see extreme weather conditions grow on a global scale, and could be a vicious cycle, that could do even more damage to a fragile economy.

Man is truly powerless against nature, and we know far less about nature than we should.

Various ATS Links:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8-1-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Gazz... things are breaking down fast in my opinion. Our weather this winter has been nothing short of weird. We have now received 6 inches of liquid precipitation this month. We have reported at least a trace of precip now for 11 consecutive days. We are approaching 20 degrees above normal for the month. Another major storm system lurks and promises to bring a significant amount of precipitation that should push us to the 8 inch mark for the month which will be followed by possibly the coldest air of the season. This comes on the heals of what should be 60+ degree temps. I can see us having a 70 degree temperature swing over a period of 48 hours. It has just been all over the board. This also comes after a summer without a single 90 degree day which has never happened here.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think this is president Bush's fault.

......Seriously, I think we're in for something like The Day After Tomorrow soon, even Arizona is getting more rain than ever, and more to come this week. Very strange.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Earth is getting ready for another cycle of change....places once warm, may be cold and vise versa....it has happened before and it's getting ready to change again....the earth is very populated now, so there are going to be catastrophes....

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I was in the Bay Area to spend New Year's Eve in my girlfriend's family... thank god you posted this, I thought that much rain was just normal weather for Cali...

Seriously, even here in my region in Eastern Canada, we've had weird weather patterns. On Tuesday, December 21, it was minus 30 Celsius (about minus 20 Fahrenheit), a temp we usually get in January... then on December 23, it was 2 degrees Celsius (35 F) and raining... it froze back on the 24, stayed at minus 10 for four days, then went back up to 1-2 degrees Celsius and rain...

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Same here. Eastern Europe 020E 45N
One week above 10dg C, then minus10Dg, like in 48 hours changes.
Before it was normaly to have same temperature during the december and january wihout any big difference.
Last couple of days was so hot, some plants starting to grow from the ground, like one month earlier. I think as those cold weather start hitting Arizona and Ca.
It was like last 10 years unusual weather hitting this are. Lot of people connected it with bombing Iraq in the 90s, Kuwait oil fields at fire, then bombing Yugoslavia '99m but it seems now it was just part of global change.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
All I know is that here in the south (Georgia) the last two weeks has been anything but winter weather, we have the best weather ever in the seventies we are wearing shorts and tank tops, but now is turning damp and foggy, weird and we even had the possibility of thunderstorms.

Last year we have what I called a late winter, but this year is just incredible.

I have been keeping and eye on the west and is just unusual how much water the desert have so far.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Darn right it's weird.
It's also getting a little frustrating.

Check out these pics from my so-called "desert"

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The pattern continues.. Fox News Cable reports that hundreds were trapped in their cars in the Sierra Mountain Range and had to be rescued.. aslo reporting winds in the Sierra Mountain Range as strong as a cat. 5 hurricane.

Flooding, mudslides, and rain/snow continue.. Many experts blame warmer than normal ocean temps.

An amazing storm system, which seems to have no end. Predictions are that there should be a break in this weather for southern California by mid week.

In eastern and central USA, more flooding as above normal temps creep further north.

Have we done something to piss off mother nature?

Updated Weather Link:

California Gets a Slow Soaking

[edit on 9-1-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Our last 3 footer here in Northern VA was just too much friggin snow!

Living nearly a mile back on a privately maintained road get's very expensive.

It makes me appreciate our very mild winter ( so far ) this year.

Monday's forcast high 50's- 60's

The more important question is ...
What will all that California rain
do to the wine harvest?

[edit on 9-1-2005 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yea, we used to call this Winter.

I have lived in California 28 years, remember winters with driving rain, hail, wind that lasted for days. These days rain appears and people are flipping out and preparing for the end times.

There were massive floods in the early 80's, hundreds of houses destroyed in santa cruz, san mateo, san francisco and Marin. Thats what happens when houses are built on the cliffs.

Most people may not know it, but most of California used to be a Flood PLain. Thats why the central valley is so fertile. Why should anyone be surprised when Nature comes back to reclaim what was hers to begin with.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

MSNBC.com Full Article Link

LOS ANGELES - A huge mudslide crashed down on homes in a coastal hamlet Monday as a deadly Pacific storm hammered Southern California for a fourth straight day, boosting rainfall totals to astonishing levels.

At least one person died and several were injured in the mudslide that pummeled a four-block area of homes in tiny La Conchita, damaging 15 to 20 homes, said Ventura County Fire Department spokesman Tom Kruschke. That brought the death toll in California from the storms to 10.

The hillside cascaded down like a brown river as authorities were evacuating about 200 residents from the area. Trees and vegetation were carried away, leaving huge gashes of raw earth on the bluff.

Some residents made their way from the area clutching pets, luggage or clothing as the huge mass of mud bore down. Some huddled together or cried as they talked on cell phones.

Search and rescue teams were dispatched to look for anyone who may have been buried. Injured people were strapped into gurneys and carried to safety.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its getting worse before it gets better.

Its just weather right?

Nothing to see here, return to your oblivion.

Gazz

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Did anyone else see the non-stop news coverage of the rescue of a man whose car was washed into a river in CA?
The poor guy!! He floated downstream on the roof of his car for a good long while until rescuers could catch him at a bridge and throw ropes out. He grabbed one, and they started to haul him up, only to have the rope break when he was like 15 feet up.
Worst of all.... he somehow lost his pants in the current..

abclocal.go.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
nice weather there having.freakish at most i wonder what is causing all this gee hmmmmm i let you think about that one heres the link.....

flood

new topics

top topics

join