It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What aircraft are actually at Area 51?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bfirez
a reply to: Blackfinger

I just wish Dreamland was more active

As a thought to what you have just written. The first use of stealth was to reduce the RCS. The next logical step is to reduce the IR and/or the visual spectrum. If you think that there is no activity in Area 51 COULD it be the use of new technologies? Visual stealth could be a huge game changer in the combat environment.

Visual stealth testing could employ low end aircraft like the general aviation aircraft normally seen in and around Area 51. This would give an impression of no special activities happening...just my 2 cents.

edit on 5-2-2016 by buddah6 because: AGE, PAIN MEDS and BAD MEMORY!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Sorry I meant the website, the base itself is 100% still active. You don't build new multi-million dollar hangers on an inactive clandestine air base without something fun going on.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Sorry!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Its all good!

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
These days I think Area 51 is more a tourist attraction wrapped in myth,legend and folklore than a dedicated research facility where people would camp out in the faint hope of seeing something.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

And yet they have expanded quite a bit in recent years.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
At one time, they had the world's oldest known flying pig. I'm not sure if it retired.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah, honestly why move anywhere else when you already have all that infrastructure already pretty much hidden. Yeah you can hike up to tikaboo or watch the skies from the highway, but its still just about as remote as it gets. Although I would bet not everyone flies out of Groom, some probably stay away on purpose.
edit on 7-2-2016 by Bfirez because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2016 by Bfirez because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

There aren't really a lot of good areas to operate from.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Definetly, Area 51 is still ideal imo.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

You also need a significant enough population center nearby so the employees can go home and infrastructure to get them there and back for the commute.

I mean I guess you can do some stuff on Kwajalein and Wake Island without a whole bunch of people noticing, but not the day in day out regular engineering & measurement jobs for years on a project.

Probably the high tech electronics and optics are all developed in ordinary suburban office parks which have water filter distributors and dentists.

Where does Russia develop its aircraft? There's an immense amount of remote space and no-questions-allowed security posture, but wouldn't much of it be a 4 month to fly year?

edit on 8-2-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The other point is having various subcontractor parts arrive and technical backup if things go wrong.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

The office park part of that equation has always fascinated me. I grew up around Raytheon HQ, Hanscom, Lincoln Labs, and Draper and had friends, roommates, etc who's parent's work involved flying to Kwajalein to do stuff they couldn't talk about.

So it always get's my mind racing every time I drive by a some remote Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, etc facility in some random office park...
edit on 8-2-2016 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Seriously, Bfirez? It is hard to imagine how Dreamland could be more active. With nearly continuous construction of hangars and other facilities, and some 2,500 military and contractor personnel, it seems to be a very busy place.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

I think he was referring to the website. He should have said Dreamland Resort.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I dont know of even any other blogs that stalk out the goings on at Groom.Maybe things have gotten more professional now and any info goes straight to the magazines or news..

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

A lot of people don't stake out much because it's a matter of pure luck if you catch something. Twenty year projects have gone on without a single sighting, or any pictures showing up.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Would be a nice retirement project..Camp out in a trailer or pod house nearby and then stalk out on overwatch.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Yeah, I should have specified

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join