It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lost books of the bible and The forgotten books of Eden

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Many years ago while searching the religious texts section of the library I came across a book called The lost books of the bible and the forgotten books of Eden. Naturally, I was Intrigued, as I'd never heard of any lost books and actually(naively) thought the bible was the incorruptible word of God and that there was never any doubt in my mind that the bible was everything ever written about God. I read a little and came to a story about Adam being so distraught at having transgressed he jumps off a cliff and dies.
God looks down a sees this, revives Adam and Eve, who had done the same thing, and says
"Because you have borne fear and trembling in this land, langour and walking and suffering treading and walking about, going upon this mountain, and dying from it, I will take all this upon Myself in order to save thee."
That was all the time I had so I put it away and left. But in my young Christian mind I had just heard the first thing that made the crucifixion, God dying for us. I never thought much about until I was staying somewhere a few years later and there was a bookshelf and I saw the same book. Once more intrigued I read a little more about Jesus as a youth, you may have heard this on the history channel lately, but Jesus is kind of a brat which makes sense, even as an adult he would be rude to his mother. But they are good reads. Another one that is good is the acts of Paul and Thecla. Paul is going around turning women celibate, preaching it as essential and women who were already betrothed were listening and because an unmarried woman of certain age was free and not her husband or fathers property, it caught on with quite a few women. This gets Paul no friends, save a young virgin named Thecla who insists on following him. Very reluctantly he agrees.
Thecla goes through some Daniel type situations, one were a lioness licks her feet and protects her from the Males who were supposed to Maul her in a public Roman execution.
A powerful woman is so astonished she pardons Thecla(whose offense was breaking a marital agreement) who asks Paul to baptize her. Paul turns her down even though it is clear God is with Thecla. Unfazed, Thecla baptizes herself and God sends a sign that he approves. I baptized myself after a "pastor" turned me down so this story hit home for me. I was excited when I saw it on HC and even had my sister read it. HC said that there were many early women Christian orders dedicated to Thecla in the early days.

Whatever your thoughts on canon are, I'm not disputing the current Bible we have. So many people are reading the findings of Nag Hammadi and Qumran and enjoy them. But this book, which I have, is not as well known, but most of it was widely read in the early Messianic church.
The books is both old testament Apocrypha and New Testament Apocrypha, I will list the contents and a place you can read them online.
Lost books of the bible
rotevangelion or Gospel of the birth of Mary
2: I Infancy and II Infancy Gospels
3:Christ and Abgarus
3:Nicodemus
4:The Apostles Creed
5:Laodiceans
aul and Seneca
aul and Thecla
8: I Clement and II Clement
9:Barnabus
10: Epistle of Ignatius to the Ephesians
11:Magnesians
12:Trallians
13:Ignatius to the Romans
hiladelphians
15:Smyrneans
16:Ignatius to Polycarp
olycarp to the Philippians
18:I. II and III. Hermas
20:Herod and Pilate
21:The last Gospel of Peter

The forgotten books of Eden
1: First and Second books of Adam and Eve
2:The secrets of Enoch
salms, Odes, of Solomon
4:Letter of Aristeas
5:4 Maccabees
6:The story of Ahika
7-19: Testament of each of the 12 patriarchs

This is available at sacredtexts.com as is pretty much everything spiritual in the public domain. I do this to make people aware, discuss it with anyone interested and as someone who considers more than just the Christian bible as scripture and spiritually beneficial and doesn't get too concerned about whether or not it is history or mythology. I just enjoy the sacred texts genre of books so don't get mad if you only accept the bible, I'm fine with that, and am not saying they should(or shouldn't) include these in the bible. Just saying they are worth reading. They still print them, the one I have is a brand new paperback and it looks awesome. I still read it online because I don't want to crease the spine. God bless everyone, everywhere.
edit on 28-1-2016 by areyousirius360 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2016 by areyousirius360 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
For some reason those smily faces came up but those are p's

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360

It's okay. The website thinks you're typing the characters for the smiley face with its tongue sticking out. Try spacing the text so it won't show the smiley faces.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

What do the Jews think of this idea? After all, trying to say that there are missing books from the OT is like saying the Torah is incomplete as well.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

They have so much more than than the Tanakh (OT). Talmud is like 15 books, book size books, its a small library of tradition that is considered by Talmudic Jews as SUPERIOR to the Tanakh. Even orthodox Judaism has extra books and traditions like Jubilees, Jasher and Enoch, so I don't think they would care.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The Torah is the first 5 books only btw.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Sure. I get that. So are the books you are referring to in the OP including in the Jewish texts? If not, maybe you should take it up with them and ask them why they weren't included first. THEN you should worry about Christian mythology.
edit on 28-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'll worry about what I want to worry about. I don't think they read these, no. I don't think they are worried about it, people have other stuff going on. I don't defer to anyone regarding anything and won't be taking issue with anyone about this book. They are them and I am me.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Well it's the same text and the Jews have been studying it longer than Christians. I'd think someone trying to get to the bottom of something using rational investigation would defer and get the opinion of people who've studied and are familiar with the text more than yourself. But hey, do you. It's all mythology to me anyways. None of the magical events involving god in the OT could have physically happened anyways. Some are so irrational that they don't even need to involve god to invoke the irrationality (tower of babel being one of those stories).

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Your point being?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This isn't an investigation you assume it is? I don't recall ever stating that, or that I was trying to get to the bottom of anything. Your just hunting for an argument aren't you?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I thought I made that clear. If the books are missing from the OT, shouldn't the Jews know something about why that is the case?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Well if that's the case then I bow out. Just offering my opinion. I'm done.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The vast majority of these books are rejected by both Jews and Christians. They don't align with accepted scripture, and they are pseudepigrapha. However, some of them do make for interesting reading. Kinda like Aesops fables without the "moral to the story" at the end.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
Yes I am aware of this, I just don't care. The same arguments used to discredit Apocrypha or pseudepigrapha can be used on every book in the bible.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: areyousirius360
Yes I am aware of this, I just don't care. The same arguments used to discredit Apocrypha or pseudepigrapha can be used on every book in the bible.

I don't remember saying you did care. Chip on your shoulder much? Your always going to have pro and con responses to any thread you post. It's not a personal thing, unless you make it that way.

Not all of the Apocrypha is rejected, which is why you still find it in some bibles, and I believe the Macabee's are accepted by Jews as history. You might want to look up the word pseudepigrapha btw.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It wasn't an accusation that you said it that was just a statement about me. Everything about you bro'? But seriously I just want to spread awareness of the books and see if anyone else has read them. Theological debates are useless. I really just don't care about who rejects what. I read stuff not considered canon because canon to me is what I want it to be. I don't go by other people's opinions.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I don't have to look up anything I know what it means and it's not the same thing as Apocrypha. Don't assume you are so smart and no one else knows nothing.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Most of the bible falls under the definition of pseudepigrapha that is my point.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. Have a great day, and welcome to ATS.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join