It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Cancer cells simply melt away': Miracle drug amazes Australian researchers

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Australian researchers have tested a miracle drug that leads to big improvement in a majority of cases, and total recovery in some. The drug targets a specific protein that helps cancer cells survive.

Some patients who had previously undergone treatment were left as good as new after agreeing to the new pill

"This is a completely new class of drugs and there is no other drug or medicine previously available that has had the ability to inhibit this BCL-2 protein,"

"Many of the people who achieved a complete remission are still in a complete remission more than a year later."

Source

Yet another promising cancer treatment and potential cure to add to the list. Apparently this one is the result of a study that has been going on over the past 30 years.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
How long before one of the big boys buy this formula/patent and bury it forever. .

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Sounds like good news ..

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I pray that this one works and that the company can remain transparent about it's progress until release. Please, please, please do not 'brush this one under the carpet'.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

So let's get the damn drug on the market pronto! People who have cancer and have lost all hope should be able to sign a waiver and possibly have their lives saved. This is the problem I have with the FDA. Continue testing, but make the drug available to cancer patients!

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Now this appears to be for a particular type of cancer in the blood. It might not work on other cancers. I have read a little about the proteins they are trying to inhibit but I didn't do much research on them.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
How long before one of the big boys buy this formula/patent and bury it forever. .

This was my first thought. I can't remember how many times I've see an announcement of a new 'wonder drug' for cancer and after a few days. POOF. Gone.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Venetoclax only works with one type of cancer: CLL (hence it only targets one protein BCL2). But the results were good: 79% of all patients (116) had a response, including some with poor prognosis. Complete remission with 20%. The drug is now on phase 3 trial: www.nejm.org...

And for those who complain all the time about the mysterious and evil 'Big Pharma': Roche will be making and selling Venetoclax. How do you explain that?

S&F OP! Great news!!

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

New working cancer treatments are coming online faster and faster. A close friend of mine was diagnosed with GIST (Gastro-Intestinal Stromal Tumors) about 2 years ago, which had already metastasized to the outer surface of her liver. 10 years or more ago, 90% of patients at her stage of disease would have been dead within 6-12 months, almost all of the rest shortly thereafter. The only treatment (besides surgery) was chemo, which was basically useless against this particular cancer.

The tumors have been shrinking slowly and steadily, and the plan is to ultimately remove them completely. The worst side effect: dry skin on feet. The 5-year and beyond survival rate of GIST patients is now extremely high, where it was once essentially a 12-month death sentence.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

So let's get the damn drug on the market pronto!

Not until further testing. Thalidomide, anyone?

People who have cancer and have lost all hope should be able to sign a waiver and possibly have their lives saved. This is the problem I have with the FDA. Continue testing, but make the drug available to cancer patients!

They already can (to an extent).

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Right now I am following theats like this because a very good friend of mine is given 5 months of life expectancy after a big surgery. I hope this will be out.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
When it is available, will it be $100k a pill? Don't get me wrong, this is exciting news and given the choice between death and paying for a possible cure, most are going to choose the drug. I just know once it hits the market it will be a ridiculous price.
edit on 28-1-2016 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
There's already a gap on the shelf ,
In between the nazi bell and teslas wireless electric machine !

Go Putin !

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

originally posted by: WeRpeons

So let's get the damn drug on the market pronto!

Not until further testing. Thalidomide, anyone?

People who have cancer and have lost all hope should be able to sign a waiver and possibly have their lives saved. This is the problem I have with the FDA. Continue testing, but make the drug available to cancer patients!

They already can (to an extent).

Thalidomide also works against lepra.

As long as you're not pregnant, there's absolutely no problem with Thalidomide.
In South America and an increasing number of other 3rd world countries, they are using Thalidomide.

Just saying.

Drug sounds promising.

But I'd bet on nano-technologies, this could work like enzymes and destroy multiple kinds of cancer types/cells.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Fraiser

That's generally because the media has a habit of posting premature sound bites from studies still in their infancy. Most of the drugs that show promise against protein X or Y, and even ones that make it to animal trials, will never make it to market for one reason or another. Those reasons are generally that the drug isn't safe, or the drug doesn't work. And these revelations can come years after any media reports, so of course no one hears about it - no one cares (why would they?).

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It sounds nice, but time will show if it is true or not.

new topics

top topics

join