It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aereo Founder is Back with New High-Speed Wireless Service

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Typically I'm somewhat skeptical on some of these wireless solutions for high speed broadband, because the issues with interference and visibility.

However, since it has the founder of Aereo behind it who had to overcome some of those hurdles I'm looking forward to it. Plus he might have some bridges to burn with comcast, since they helped in the process to force him to close down Aereo.

Here is some additional information in regards to millimeter

Service takes aim at broadband incumbents, promises cheaper service

In a presentation in New York on Wednesday, Chaitanya Kanojia said his new startup, Starry Inc., would seek to offer low-cost and high-speed wireless internet service to customers’ homes by using high-frequency “millimeter” electromagnetic airwaves and new proprietary technology.

Starry’s Internet service will be capable of gigabit-per-second upstream and downstream speeds, Mr. Kanojia said, and will be offered at a “fraction” of the cost of home broadband today from cable and phone companies.

www.wsj.com...

Anything that brings Comcast to its knees brings a smile to my face.

I thought I wouldn't see the day that Comcast sees some serious viable threats. However with google fiber and this wireless solution comcast better get into the business of keeping the customer happy versus their customary extortion tactics. I also suggest they get rid of there bandwidth rape you rates, since they don't like the term cap.

Not to mention that there content distribution business is also getting attacked by the likes of Neflix and Amazon prime who are creating their own content.
edit on 25131America/ChicagoWed, 27 Jan 2016 20:25:07 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The speeds sound good, but the pricing?
I want to see some seriously cheap internet access, but what we have over here in the uk is seriously expensive!

In the uk the vast majority of people have to pay for Line Rental, this is usually around £30 per month, then about another £10 per month for the internet access.
How does that compare with other countries?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Here in lovely Kern County, I'm paying about $50 for 25MB down, 2MB up. And you get that, too, sometimes it's more.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
Anything that brings Comcast to its knees brings a smile to my face.

Of course, the point will soon be made that this operates at the same frequency as the VMADS. OMG. The routers are ROASTING US ALL!!

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

its suppose to be a lot cheaper because they don't have to run fiber.

Starry’s Internet service will be capable of gigabit-per-second upstream and downstream speeds, Mr. Kanojia said, and will be offered at a “fraction” of the cost of home broadband today from cable and phone companies.

will cost the company far less to deploy per home—just $25—than traditional cable or fiber broadband, which can cost $2,500 per home.

edit on 10131America/ChicagoWed, 27 Jan 2016 20:10:51 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
40€ for 50 Mbit down and 10mbit up over optical fibre.

edit on 27-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

HAHA . I read on another site where somebody was already talking about that and how this works on the same skin-burning police crowd control device.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Actually, I was thinking "60-70 GHz? Wait..."
But the energy levels... way way way lower...
edit on 27-1-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

to get 200gb of home data at 70mb dn and 25 up, I pay about $90/month in my bundle (TV and home phone). Total bundle price is about $260/mo

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I thought the military had large sections of the high frequency spectrum...
I don't see how installing "neighborhood nodes" everywhere is going to work...that's going to be a huge upfront cost in infrastructure & will take forever to become profitable.

By the way - I pay about $60/mo for broadband cable.
edit on 27-1-2016 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
I want to see some seriously cheap internet access, but what we have over here in the uk is seriously expensive!

In the uk the vast majority of people have to pay for Line Rental, this is usually around £30 per month, then about another £10 per month for the internet access.

I have virgin, 16 quid line rental and 30 quid a month broadband.
200Mbs down and about 25Mbs up.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Here in Japan, we have broadband through the telephone company and it cost us about $45 USD a month. No limit of usage either. Can't understand why the people in the States put up with caps on usage limit and with additional charges.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

This is why I am so bearish about my own country. While the rest of the world was building infrastructure, my country has raped the middle east, africa, and latin america. You guys fund your own social programs. We fund bombs. We have the fastest war planes and missiles in the world....but our 300mil citizens have internet that lags so far behind the rest of the world that it could potentially be a real issue in the not too distant future.

Dammit.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Germany only recently catched up on a wider base, before that, you had T1/2 and we snailed allong with 7kb/s.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: SprocketUK

This is why I am so bearish about my own country. While the rest of the world was building infrastructure, my country has raped the middle east, africa, and latin america. You guys fund your own social programs. We fund bombs. We have the fastest war planes and missiles in the world....but our 300mil citizens have internet that lags so far behind the rest of the world that it could potentially be a real issue in the not too distant future.

Dammit.

That's quite surprising. I'd have thought you folks would have been on gigabit broadband by now, what with all the tech companies and stuff.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Our technology makes wonderful war machines instead.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Here in Japan, we have broadband through the telephone company and it cost us about $45 USD a month. No limit of usage either. Can't understand why the people in the States put up with caps on usage limit and with additional charges.

Because Oligopolies like the ISP industry in the US tell our politicians what regulations to create and implement in order to ensure there is no competition and maximize their bottom line .

Luckily for us the ISP Oligopoly(ComCr@p,Verizon,Att) got so fat dumb and lazy that they didn't see another Oligopoly (Online tech: Google,amazon,netflix) encroaching on their golden goose .

Now we have Google Fiber and this new technology ,netflix, and Amazon Prime threatening their stronghold on being a ISP provider and Content provider .

Google FIber coming into the game has slowed ComCr@ps and the others implementation of datacaps and it is likely the reason that Google fiber was started. Data caps disrupts Googles bottom line.

Competion in the US only occurs at the Oligopoly level. Luckily for US the Online Tech industry with deep pockets has a business model that is more in tune with the consumers needs.

edit on 55131America/ChicagoThu, 28 Jan 2016 08:55:44 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

That's quite surprising. I'd have thought you folks would have been on gigabit broadband by now, what with all the tech companies and stuff.

Especially since one of our Vice President invented the internet.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
nice triangles

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I worked on this technology for years and have patents in the area. You can overcome interference by using an array of multiple antennas. At the basestation one then electronically steers the antennas to provide energy only to the intended receiver and nulls in the direction of the un-intended receiver.

It's possible to get a frequency reuse of 1 using this idea. In other words you can talk to all the users in your cell at the same time, on the same frequency, without interfering with any of the others and even deal with out of cell interference. There are companies offering products that do this right now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join