It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a two year old HP and keep getting pop-up to upgrade drivers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Medium grade [above entry level] and works well most of the time. When I go to HP update it says no updates available - And yet I keep getting a
pop-up window supposedly from HP stating that two drivers are out of date and I need to upgrade - when I start the upgrade they try to charge me
about forty dollars to do it - Is this legitimate? If not who is generating the pop-ups?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Does the popup say hp?
Should say update.not upgrade. My first thought is your pc is infested w malware, trying to sell you their junk. Id[ see if malwarebytes can find the culprit.editby]edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView
i know of a hp laptop wich kept asking for driver updates, i think it was as easy as turn off notifications or something similar.
i'd try installing some driver checking software like iobit driver booster.

but i think with drivers, its a case of 'if it isnt broken, dont fix it'.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
Medium grade [above entry level] and works well most of the time. When I go to HP update it says no updates available - And yet I keep getting a
pop-up window supposedly from HP stating that two drivers are out of date and I need to upgrade - when I start the upgrade they try to charge me
about forty dollars to do it - Is this legitimate? If not who is generating the pop-ups?

HP provides updates to drivers and factory installed software for free, usually through the 'HP Support Assistant' (the big blue 'question mark' icon in the system tray).

This must be malware and probably means that any anti-virus software you may have, is not working or is out of date.

I would recommend that you remove the malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free) or some other similar anti-malware software. You will probably find a performance improvement, too.

edit on 27/1/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I agree. Start with malwarebytes. Its caused by a malicious browser extension.
www.fixyourbrowser.com...

edit on 27-1-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

I have Malwarebytes 'premium' running continuously and I manually scan at least once a day - No malware is detected.
What else can I do? Can there be malware that malwarebytes doesn't dectect?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

What browser? If Chrome, check for a bad extension.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Its possible its a new virus that malwarebytes hasnt updated in there software yet. Try going through your browser add-ons or extensions. Usually found under tools on your menu bar. Turn off the ones you don't need or if the look suspicious. See if the problem stops. If it does uninstall the bad add-ons.
www.fixyourbrowser.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
All seems right with the extensions. I'm thinking I might have run some driver checker program some time hack and maybe that is what is causing it. Also I did upgrade all drivers manually through HP awhile back - but still keep getting pop-up to buy new drivers. It looks like it is coming from HP - If no one knows for sure I guess I'll just have to call HP and ask - I'm still under an
extended warranty I paid extra for.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Sounds dodgy!

Is it working ok without the updates? if so why update.

If it aint broke then dont fix it!

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
double post

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

It just seemed suspicious because it said upgrade instead of update. I would recommend Slimdrivers for updating drivers its free. Just don't update your keyboard if you use this freeware.

edit on 27-1-2016 by gmoneystunt because: edit link

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
triple post and internet issues.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Just reinstall your OS and keep what you need.It's the only way to be sure.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

a reply to: gmoneystunt

I have Malwarebytes 'premium' running continuously and I manually scan at least once a day - No malware is detected.
What else can I do? Can there be malware that malwarebytes doesn't dectect?

OK, no anti-malware software is perfect. Here's what I use (in sequence):

RKill
TDSSKiller
ADWCleaner
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT)
RogueKiller
Combofix (used only if I feel there is still something nasty there after these others. Note, Combofix can cause problems but is very powerful, use with care).

and afterwards, i clean them all up with Delfix.

I also find that Superantispyware (free) sometimes finds stuff even after all these, but it remains resident and therefore consumes resources unnecessarily.

Also MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit is a good add-on (in addition to antivirus sotware). HitmanPro's Alert is even better as a 'second source' protection, but HitmanPro is free only for a short trial period.

Get all the programs via the BleepingComputer site, then you can be fairly sure of the legitimacy of the files.

edit on 27/1/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LostThePlot
Just reinstall your OS and keep what you need.It's the only way to be sure.

Yeah thats my std procedure if it gets buggy at all and nothing is found withe malwarebytes or Hijackthis bho utility.
Full reformat and reinstall. I keep a image of os on disc after I get all of my settings done for fast reinstalls.

Don't want to risk online banking, etc on an infected machine.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Slimdrivers is good about 80% of the time. You have to pay attention during the instal at the beginning. It asks for an opt-in for some sort of program or advertisement. decline the adware install and agree to the slimdriver install. Good to go.

As for the OP, what is the process or the program exe that is running. Kill it on startup with the many tools available. Task manager is a good start.

I would not resort to a reinstall yet. Be like tearing down a house because it needs a new door.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I don't understand why it should even be necessary to update any drivers. When the computer was new did they put obsolete parts in it?

if it was sold fit for purpose when new then the drivers should still be relevant and appropriate shouldn't they?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

I don't understand why it should even be necessary to update any drivers. When the computer was new did they put obsolete parts in it?

if it was sold fit for purpose when new then the drivers should still be relevant and appropriate shouldn't they?

i'm going to check with HP to make sure - But as we all know every business concerned with the internet and computers is
always lookiing for new ways to make money. HP also keeps sending me emails trying to sell me whatever - they even convinced me to spend 80 bucks on a three year service contract - so when I used some free site to check my dirvers they
probably had a deal with HP to sell new drivers and HP has me on its customer list so they keep spamming me - It is
probably legit, there probably are better drivers but the machine is working well and as the saying goes 'If it ain't broke don't fix it',

edit on 28-1-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Are they trying to charge you for the drivers or is it an advert for buying warranty support? If the machine is two years old its probably just ran out of warranty.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join