It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

First Nations’ ancient medicinal clay shows promise against today’s worst bacterial infections

page: 1

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:43 PM

Naturally occurring clay from Kisameet Bay, B.C. — long used by the Heiltsuk First Nation for its healing potential — exhibits potent antibacterial activity against multidrug-resistant pathogens, according to new research from the University of British Columbia.

This is pretty darn neat! Yet another naturally occurring substance is more effective than any modern medicines against previously untreatable infections and other ailments.

The so-called ESKAPE pathogens — Enterococcus faecium, Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Acinetobacter baumannii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Enterobacter species — cause the majority of U.S. hospital infections and effectively ‘escape’ the effects of antibacterial drugs.

“Infections caused by ESKAPE bacteria are essentially untreatable and contribute to increasing mortality in hospitals,” said UBC microbiologist Julian Davies, co-author of the paper published today in the American Society for Microbiology’s mBio journal.

“After 50 years of over-using and misusing antibiotics, ancient medicinals and other natural mineral-based agents may provide new weapons in the battle against multidrug-resistant pathogens.”

The clay deposit is situated on Heiltsuk First Nation’s traditional territory, 400 kilometres north of Vancouver, Canada, in a shallow five-acre granite basin. The 400-million kilogram (400,000 tonne) deposit was formed near the end of the last Ice Age, approximately 10,000 years ago.

Local First Nations people have used the clay for centuries for its therapeutic properties—anecdotal reports cite its effectiveness for ulcerative colitis, duodenal ulcer, arthritis, neuritis, phlebitis, skin irritation, and burns.

It's very unfortunate the clay is so rare. Hopefully the researchers take great responsibility in studying the clay and creating a synthetic version of it to prevent the depletion of natural sources.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:00 PM
This is going pretty far back into my memory....but this isn't the only "wonder clay". French Green Clay has been reported to be very potent against MRSA infection.

What bothers me about this: as mentioned, this goes pretty far back in my memory banks. Like, back with Celebrex and Vioxx were being reported as entering clinical trials. Since then, the entire class of drugs has come, killed many, and gone. Meanwhile French Green Clay hasn't really be capitalized upon.

I can only imagine that clays held by first nations people could be less likely to come to market.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:10 PM
a reply to: Ghost147

Is this anything like the blue clay that the crazy guest on "Oak Island" claimed was valued by the Incas?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:22 PM

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:23 PM

I was an electrician at the oldest Acme Brick plant in the nation for around 9 years. Although it had been upgraded many times, it dates back into the late 1800's. Even Acme was a victim of the recession of 2008 and shut down for several years. That was the only time in its history to ever shut down. It even continued to operate during the depression of 29. I remember tales of old timers digging in the clay pits for just the right quality of clay to use as a dietary supplement. But that practice died out long ago around here.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:18 AM
a reply to: CharlesT

In Georgia (USA), people use to and probably do still to some extent eat white kaolin clay. They say that pregnant women Brought over during the slave trade had ancraving for eating the earth and that's how it all started.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:22 AM
I wonder can bentonite clay have the same benefits?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:03 PM
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Most plain (cheap) non-clumping non-perfumed cat litter is bentonite clay. You can often look on the bag to find out where the clay originates. Otherwise a little google-fu can give you the source. From there you can determine the purity and mineral content of that particular mine.

I've experimented with a lot of different kind of clays in the context of refractory recipes. The Montmorillonite class of clays expand a lot in water. You mix the clay with some water and shake it up. If the mixture remains cloudy and doesn't settle out over the course of several days, then it's Bentonite.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:22 PM

Given its color, I wonder if it has a high Silver content. Colloidal Silver has been know to be a successful treatment for a variety of infections.

Some of the infections listed in you OP are difficult to treat and more common than the healthcare system wants to admit. For instance Staphylococcus aureus is commonly found on beaches and in the ocean. In the water it is quite easy to get one of these infections, including the MRSA (flesh-eating) variety when you have an open cut or wound.

My daughter had just shaved her underarms before going into the ocean. She contracted the skin lesion version of the disease under her right arm. Fortunately it wasn't the antibiotic resistant strain. But it did leave quite a hole and required some strong antibiotics to treat.

I recently read an account of a man contracting the MRSA version of the infection when he cut his foot on a sharp rock in the water. Amputation was involved, but I don't recall the extent.

Hopefully they'll be able to do some chemical analysis of this clay to figure out how the magic works. Of course the pharmaco-industrial complex will fight tooth and nail to bury it. You can't patent mud.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:32 PM
a reply to: DexterRiley

I grew up in, on, and around the water. Coral cuts were expected and standard. We got what we called "peel skin sores". A small cut would fester and turn into a raised crater surrounded by dead skin. They could get nasty. It was staph and we dealt with it in various ways but if it got really bad a penicillin shot would take care of it (in those days).

The odd thing is, as I got into my teens, I still got coral cuts (along with a severely sunburned nose) but the peel skin sores never showed up anymore. Immunity, obviously, because the staph was still in the water.

edit on 1/28/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:49 AM
a reply to: Phage

So that's how you got your superpowers!

top topics