It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have Windows 8.1 and like it - Microsoft keeps prompting me to upgrade, what if I don't?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Every day they flash a pop-up saying I should upgrade. Could thy discontinue support for 8.1? Why are they trying to force this upgrade?
And they already told me that if I go to Windows 10, I have a Bluetooth program will not work and I should contact the manufacturer - Could that be a serious problem?

-Thanks for your response

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Ever heard of the The HumancentiPad?

Whatever you do, make sure you read everything before you click 'I agree'.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

So don't. Eventually they'll stop supporting it with updates, but so what. Tired of that message? You need to get rid of KB3035583. It can be done manually, but you have to do it about three times to really get rid of it and then hide the update. An easier way is to get "GWX Control Panel" at Ultimate Outsider. That will clean your system of the nag so it won't bother you. I've done it on three machines.

edit on 1/27/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Same here.
I have design software that I don't want to lose if it fails to operate using W10 and I also get this pop up every time I switch on my laptop.
I did read somewhere....last year.... that there is something you can do to disable the pop-up.
Maybe a quick Google for a How to.... ?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!! You will be severely disapointed;

here is a L I N K to disable the upgrade message

How to stop the Windows 10 upgrade notifications
While you can go to Windows Update and then Installed Updates to remove the patch named KB3035583, you'll have to disable automatic updates to prevent it coming back.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmickat

try this Cos

microsoft-news.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I changed to win 10 a year ago, and it's been almost flawless for my use.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Ahhhh the very thing ! Thank you

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Thank you too ! ☺

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Ever heard of the The HumancentiPad?

Whatever you do, make sure you read everything before you click 'I agree'.

"Why can't we get it to read!!!"

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Good for you. Glad you like it. I have one machine on 10. I prefer Windows 7 myself. Every Windows "upgrade" takes away more control from the user and puts it into Microsoft's hands. I realize that eventually I will be forced in to the latest and greatest from Microsoft, but I am determined to avoid it for as long as possible.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Same. The fear is by people who either have never used it at length or don't know how to use it.. Like the guy who made a YouTube video screaming obscenities at it for wanting to do updates... A they're often needed and B they can just be turned off..

Like getting in the car and blowing up because the radio is on... Change the channel or turn it off lol

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Upgrade.

If you don't like it you can revert to 8.1 within a month. There's even a special option for it. They don't hide it.

When you have upgraded be sure to find the proper driver for your blutooth device - if you still need it.

And also be sure to locate the program ShutUp10. It will turn off all those "call back to MS". Which by the way are anonymized anyway.
If you run recommended you will be fine.

All those people warning against Windows 10 might as well warn you against owning a computer. It makes just as much sense.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

So far I have upgraded 65 of our pc's.
8 different types/makes of pc's and all of them continued working just as they did under Win7 Pro. We have not had the need to do anything special to any of them with drivers and programs.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Good for you. Glad you like it. I have one machine on 10. I prefer Windows 7 myself. Every Windows "upgrade" takes away more control from the user and puts it into Microsoft's hands. I realize that eventually I will be forced in to the latest and greatest from Microsoft, but I am determined to avoid it for as long as possible.

I hear you.
It was so much better when we had to set all kinds of correct switches and options to make anything work.
Setting up a printer was done in a matter of minutes. Just set the correct dip switches in the correct order.
Making sure the modem had the proper handshake and parity. Easy peasy.

Then they took away control. Invented Plug'n'Play. Now you only have to connect the printer and Win10 locats the proper driver. What a load of xxxxxxx.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
After rejecting it for month's...It forced me to take it. Shut down my computer and forced me to upload it. Still getting used to 10.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: HolgerTheDane2

originally posted by: schuyler

I hear you.
It was so much better when we had to set all kinds of correct switches and options to make anything work.
Setting up a printer was done in a matter of minutes. Just set the correct dip switches in the correct order.
Making sure the modem had the proper handshake and parity. Easy peasy.

Then they took away control. Invented Plug'n'Play. Now you only have to connect the printer and Win10 locats the proper driver. What a load of xxxxxxx.

I know. I was there. But, of course, I don't know anything about computers. In my last job I started out with an Apple ][ on my desk and wound up with 500 Windows based computers and 35 servers in a ten site WAN on fiber optics. I started out with MS-DOS 1.1 and upgraded to every version it had until Windows 286, then every single version of Windows since. I first got Microsoft Word when it came on two 5-1/4" floppy disks and included a mouse in the package. So I defer to your superior knowledge, but....

every version of Windows takes away more user control. Windows 10 updates are particularly grevious because they (try to) force them on you. I'm very happy with plug&play printers and the fact I no longer need an extensive toolbox to work on a PC, not even a screw driver, and that means I've got several cardboard boxes full of RS-232 ports, gender benders, and EEPROM burners I will never use again. I've even got a complete FidoNet BBS on a 105MB hard card that takes an ISA buss. Why don't I toss it? Nostalgia, I guess.

I'd just as soon have more control over what is happening. I have no intention of hacking the OS, but I'd rather tell Microsoft when I want something done and not have them tell me with no chance to say no. But if it;s easier for you, then it's easier for GrandDad, too.

Oh, wait....

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

You don't have to.

But, I have upgraded hundreds of school PC's and have zero complaints. M$ also are going to remove the opportunity to upgrade for free some day and they have a downgrade procedure that I hear also works if you don't like 10.

Up to you.

Remove update KB3035583 and then hide it to stop the nagging.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I don't see why not. One just has to be mindful that auto is disabled and check for updates frequently. I don't do much on the computer any more so I'm really not effected very much but I run 8.1 and have deleted every update since inception that was not listed as a security update. I haven't noticed any problems so far by doing this. I would upgrade to Linux but without any visible security, I just do not feel comfortable running it. I'm probably totally mislead but I just feel more secure seeing Norton in the lower right corner of the screen.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It's outrageous that people are having to treat their own OS as malware. I know people always talked trash about MS and a lot of it was fair criticism but it didn't really get that bad until Windows 8. MS tried to push that stupid Metro garbage on people and they got pissy about it when the public flatly rejected it.

I think W10 is kind of just a great big middle finger from MS for that. I never really thought they were that bad until this nonsense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join