It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is never a loss of consciousness in your life

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
There are two versions of you, the one with amnesia and the one without.

There is never a loss of consciousness in your life, there is only the loss of the memories of consciousness.

Yeah, this was short... But do people here think that there might be some truth to this? I myself feel that when transitioning between these states that memories sometimes will leak through. I have had some memories retain and learned that for the "other me" it is totally naturally to leave the body while I am "a sleep".

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I think what you mean is that there are no gaps in consciousness from the point of view of the observer? Because from the point of view of an outsider, when you pass out you lose consciousness.

You cannot be aware of non-awareness, life is a constant stream of information that doesn't begin or end.
edit on 1/27/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ParanormalGuy

well your thinking is interesting. I like it.

only thing which sounds weird to me is loss memories of consciousness. I think you cannot lose what you are fundamentally. But instead it gets rewired or rewritten by the events in life. There are no memories or any other things when it comes to consciousness, even thoughts are only our imagination. Consciousness is without any division, you cannot subtract or add anything to it.

But if we choose to get to the bottom of ourselves than with meditation we can get to primordial consciousness which is what we are in truth. With meditation we are peeling layers off bit by bit, until we manage to get to the core or real self or pure consciousness or atman or soul ... to complete joyful silence and bliss.

This is who we are all the time but due to our ego we are confused and are searching for something to add instead to remove off or in ourselves.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
What if dreams are true consciousness and being awake is the loss of conscious

It makes sense if you think that when you die you enter a perpetual dream state, therefore the dream state is the eternal conscious

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Dante the poet of "The Divine Comedy" 1300s describes crossing the river of forgetfulness
To get to the other side of our limited experience whilst on Earth and enter the other realms

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

The river of forgetfulness in my opinion is the gestation period within the womb. AMNesia is forgetfulness, AMNesty is pardoning or forgetting transgressions, and the AMNiotic fluid is what makes us forget our past lives in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

In the Divine Comedy ... Dante is bathed in the river of forgetfulness by two nymphs
His past transgressions and ills being washed away ...

I believe this to be true in essence ... In Hermetic teachings upon death, fear and pain falls away as the soul ascends to its true home

In a sense we become fully aware

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Does your philosophy apply to other forms of life, or is this just a special thing for mankind at it's current state?

If this is so, at what point in the evolution of man from "animal" to "man" did the Universe start taking backup copies of "man" as we are presumably too important to "waste"?

Or if you take the view that "consciousness is supreme" and there is a consciousness of which everything is an outgrowth,
then there are also "backup copies" of every bacteria that has ever lived, etc. Is that your point of view?

Of course there are world philosophies, thousands of years old, which honor the cyclic nature of life and death, and fully acknowledge the ending and arising of "consciousness"; for example Shaivite Kasmari Shamanism.

The fear of death.. and philosophies which arise as a psychological defense mechanism are indeed interesting!

Kev

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
So is the ultimate judge, your own higher self who records everything your forgetful self does whilst the amnesia self exists ?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

There is one "you". There is you while conscious and still the same "you" while unconscious.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I'm probably going off topic but maybe not...

One of the things that has long bothered me about the nature of consciousness can probably best be expressed with a simple thought experiment:

Imagine the "typical" teleportation scheme from sci-fi literature/movies where at the point of origin, a body is mapped down to the atom through some process which destroys the original body and then the resulting information is transmitted to the destination where the subject's body is reconstituted exactly.

At the destination, the recreated body awakens and from that person's point of view, he essentially fell asleep at one end and awoke at the other.

Even if we assume the mapping process destroys the original body, there's nothing that stops this information from being transmitted to multiple destinations or a single receiving unit from recreating more than one copy of the teleported person. The obvious implication is that none of the resulting copies can be said to be the original consciousness — at that point, there are essentially multiple new persons. This seems to demonstrate that consciousness is non-transferable.

What's troubling about this to me is that effectively, even a temporary but complete lack of consciousness results in a state exactly like that of one of the copies created by the receiving end of our hypothetical teleporter.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Yes!

You are now face to face with perhaps the biggest "mystical realization" of the ages.

Apparently the "Universe" keeps building clones and discarding them.
(continuous chaotic inflationary theory).

But humans want "souls".

(and as my grandma might have said, "and people in hell want ice water too".

In science/philosophy it's known as the "qualia problem".

It's one of my favorite topics. It's the core 'grain of sand' in the maw of
every religion, every spiritual system, every bit of deluded wishful
thinking.

It's delicious.

Kev

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParanormalGuy

There are two versions of you, the one with amnesia and the one without.

There is never a loss of consciousness in your life, there is only the loss of the memories of consciousness.

The conscious space is ever present and memories, thoughts and sensations are appearing and disappearing in that space.

You are the aware space in which existence appears - existence appears to be moving like a roll of film but you never move.

You are like the tv screen with a moving image appearing on it while in the waking state and when the tv is off it is like you being in deep sleep.

The real you never appears on the screen of existence - you are just aware of the movie - including arising memories and thoughts and sensations. It is all a movie - all of it.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
After reading this, i am utterly confused. Maybe you people have all a very different definition of consciousness than i do?
Where do all the copies come from? Am i using mine wrong? Never made a backup in my entire life. Is that dangerous?
Also i was looking and there is only one me. Is it en vogue now to have split personalities? Damn & i was working hard to avoid it!
Are you just simulated projections of my consciousness?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Also i was looking and there is only one me.

Which one do you think you are? The one that you see or the one that is seeing?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

click

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear
Does your philosophy apply to other forms of life, or is this just a special thing for mankind at it's current state?

I believe all animals are conscious the same way we are. But it might be that being human is something special, that the human body and/or society was designed for a special purpose in this "school of life".

But I do believe that cells and bacteria are soulless machines though. Yes, they are kinda advanced, but so is the CPU/GPU in your computer.

If this is so, at what point in the evolution of man from "animal" to "man" did the Universe start taking backup copies of "man" as we are presumably too important to "waste"?

How do we even know that the past is not an illusion? I'm not saying that it is, but your question seems a bit like a joke? So it is hard to give it a serious answer.

Also from a scientific viewpoint the biggest difference between "animals" and "man" is our society. Isolate a newborn from the human society and it will grop up as an animal.

Or if you take the view that "consciousness is supreme" and there is a consciousness of which everything is an outgrowth,
then there are also "backup copies" of every bacteria that has ever lived, etc. Is that your point of view?

To me consciousness is like your hand where 5 fingers on a 2D surface will appear as 5 separate beings in that 2D world. Where it will grow a new finger when a new body is created and merge it back into the hand when it dies, all one being.

Basically that we are all one consciousness which will split and merge as needed. That when we die we will remember all the knowledge of all whom have ever lived because they were basically us/you.

Read more about my philosophy about that here if you want:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The fear of death.. and philosophies which arise as a psychological defense mechanism are indeed interesting!

Agreed that the many philosophies out there are interesting and that maybe you have a point about such a fear. But I would also like to point out that many philosophies are also developed to better understand stuff which is happening to people. When a person has an experience of leaving their body they will then start to "question the # out of stuff" to figure out what actually happened to them.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: UniFinity
only thing which sounds weird to me is loss memories of consciousness.

Every time I wake up from being asleep I have faint memories about what I was dreaming which quickly just fades away. Sometimes they fade away so quickly that I don't even believe that I have dreamt anything! So I had an illusion of being unconscious.

This phenomena is very interesting to me and I've come to the conclusion that any experience I have may be forgotten about and then it will seem like it never happened! And I do believe that this plays a big part in the whole "alien abduction phenomena" going on in this world... But I don't think that the memories are lost forever though, just that it is outside our access for a while.

originally posted by: Rapha
So is the ultimate judge, your own higher self who records everything your forgetful self does whilst the amnesia self exists ?

I think you are on to something here!

originally posted by: Discotech
What if dreams are true consciousness and being awake is the loss of conscious

It makes sense if you think that when you die you enter a perpetual dream state, therefore the dream state is the eternal conscious

Actually a dream is not too different from what we call reality.

In a dream I usually forget about who I was before that dream, basically I have no point of reference outside the dream. Hence I don't know any better than to believe whatever I dream. I can dream about all kinds of silly nonsense but without having a reference point outside the dream I can not know any better.

Basically the same can be said about my life in this body/reality. Think a bit about that and your mind might be blown!

Dreams might actually be "local realities" (where you are the only creator) while this reality is a shared reality with several creators (all of us) maintaining its stable state. Maintaining the laws of physics (which we all agreed upon) in a way...

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

originally posted by: Peeple

Also i was looking and there is only one me.

Which one do you think you are? The one that you see or the one that is seeing?

I had an "hallucination"/"experience" (whatever), which, in part, involved me flick-flacking, perceptually, within and without, above and below, big and small...kind of...it's never easy to explain these things, as I am sure you understand. However, as to your questions, the experience implied that the answer is both, but not usually at the same time, and though not impossible to achieve such unification of thought and being, like peeple's little gif, practicing such an art can be quite nauseating.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Maybe you would be interested in Baddogmas scientific mysticism thread...I'm sure all your points will be sliced and diced over time.

Thanks for your thoughtful words.

Kev
edit on 27-1-2016 by KellyPrettyBear because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join