It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest question on Shariah

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thank you for all the contributions, they've been quite helpful.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: babloyi
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
I'm looking for specific instances of where it would progress the legislative framework of western democracy, not generalities.

An odd view to look for. May I ask why? Are you worried that Shariah will infiltrate the framework of western democracy?

Skipping over the fact that the statement shows a view of "Shariah" that isn't really grounded in reality, I'll continue with your question by replacing your use of the word "Shariah" with fiqh, or "Islamic Jurisprudence".

The fact of the matter is, "Islamic Jurisprudence" and "Western Democracy" aren't some monolithic ivory towers that are absolutely separate from each other. There are many situations today, and in history where one borrowed from the other. So looking for specific instances where one would "progress" the other seems fallacious- the very structure itself already includes it.
For examples in "Western Democracy" that borrowed heavily from "Islamic Jurisprudence", you have a whole lot of stuff relating to finances-trade, contracts, handling of money, loans, trusts, etc. Some more recent examples in this category are how some financial institutions within "Western Democracy" are incorporating concepts from "Islamic Banking".

Nah, am not worried about infiltration. If there's laws from different cultures that we could incorporate into the existing legal framework that makes society better I'm all for it. For example, I think the way Islamic divorce proceedings are conducted is a lot less convoluted and fairer in many cases than western systems.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: areyousirius360
a reply to: Raggedymanwe mutilate boys at birth on the regular here? Not defending female circumcision in any way it is horrible, but I would not have chosen to be circumcised if given the choice. It's more pleasurable with your foreskin and that sucks for me. I'd sue if I could.

For the record, female genital mutilation (FGM) is literally "female circumcision". The communities that do it do so because they're applying their circumcision beliefs equally to every community member (I think upon entering adulthood or once proclaiming their faith). Yeah, it's literally seen as an "equal duties regardless of gender" policy, even though it also has a controlling aspect to it (same as male circumcision with the foreskin aspect that you mentioned).

Also for the record, neither circumcision nor female circumcision (FGM) are in the Qur'an. In other words, God never commanded us to do either of them. They are strictly found in tradition and interpretations. I personally reject both because I believe God created us perfectly, so we don't need those "alterations" anyway.

This is just one reason why I suggest people actually read the Qur'an in its entirety before assuming they understand Shariah law (note: that sentence isn't aimed at you personally).

edit on 28-1-2016 by enlightenedservant because: clarified... kinda... sorta...

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservantI know that. I was just applying the persons complaint about female circumcision to the forced circumcision we do every day to babies in America. If she is going to complain about one and not the other than she is just looking for something to complain about.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360

Not to nitpik but I didn't mention it at all. The member who I was talking to did. Personally, I think baby cutting is wrong, regardless of gender.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha
My mistake I should have caught that. Glad we agree. Sorry

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

a reply to: enlightenedservantI know that. I was just applying the persons complaint about female circumcision to the forced circumcision we do every day to babies in America. If she is going to complain about one and not the other than she is just looking for something to complain about.

I agree. I've noticed that a lot of times, people don't see the double standards because of the way issues are worded and presented (aka, "the narrative"). Here are a few examples to get my point across:

Presented negatively: They mutilate babies and teenagers! Savages!
Presented "positively"/neutrally: We circumcise children and/or community members when they reach adulthood.

Presented negatively: They even have child marriages! Disgusting!
Presented "positively"/neutrally: We allow teenagers under the age of 18 to get married, with parental or judicial permission.

Presented negatively: They're always fighting each other! Savages that don't know peace!
Presented "positively"/neutrally: We militarily intervene in conflicts in order to create peace, even if we end up backing rebel groups in attempts to overthrow the official governments.

All 3 of those situations are talking about the same situations that are happening right now. But the negative wording is used for Muslim countries, while the positive or neutral wording is used for Western countries. It would be like me saying "Westerners love to poison each other with fermented potions that are proven to provoke violence, DWIs, and rapes! Such savages!" Technically, alcohol is a poison and it's been proven to increase violence, DWIs and rapes when consumed. But clearly people here don't see it that way. It's all about the wording & presentation.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
I have no idea what it would actually look like or what it entails

It looks like a pile of severed limbs, mashed heads from being stoned to death, blood and insanity.
If a woman is raped, it's her fault and she is killed/punished!
Gays are murdered. Atheists are murdered.
Shariah law is barbarism at it's most insane!
Easy to recognize!
Xtians seem to want their version!

Somehow, I don't think that is completely accurate.

I was not going for surgical mindless accuracy, see; hyperbole.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: namelesss

That's not an answer
Though seriously I don't see anything going on in your system, just see a progression of leaders or wanna be leaders calling themselves Christian to get the top job
I see very little Christianity in your country, mine as well

If you are talking about the Xtianity that Jesus defined, unconditional Love, I agree with you.
If you include all the pretend Xtians, who consider themselves to be Xtian, then, back to my answer...

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: namelesss

So what's the Christian version?

The reality is I didn't like the patronizing tone considering the op doesn't know anything

Who's "patronizing tone"? Mine? *__-

Are you asking me what the Xtian version of Shariah Law is?
How about the legal persecution of gays, for one! Persecute/punish them for their inherent nature, after judging them!
No different than tossing from a roof.
There are many parallels, and many more if some of these Xtian Klowns get elected!
One theocrazy is much like any other.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   

a reply to: namelesssgot proof?

Sorry, but 'proof' is whatever you are willing to accept!
'Proof' is what people demand when they have nothing with which to refute, but they still don't 'like' what is offered.
And nothing is ever 'proof' enough to move a 'belief'.
I will not play that game.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join