It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Toiling Hard to Build 'World's Most Powerful Rocket'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Hello ATS!! Our greatest dream is coming to fruition at the Michoud Assembly Facility, NASA's massive 832-acre space park outside New Orleans.It is truly a new day! I will be so happy and proud when the SLS actually launches into Space for the first time; it first flight will be to the far side of the Moon but exciting nonetheless.

"It is designed for beyond low-Earth orbit exploration with humans," said Frank McCall, the deputy program manager from Boeing who called SLS "a mission that is long overdue." The first unmanned test flight is slated for late 2018. By 2021, the rocket is supposed to carry astronauts aboard the Orion space capsule built by Lockheed Martin.

"The first crewed mission … will be a mission that goes to the far side of the moon, literally farther than we've ever gone before in manned spacecraft," said NASA SLS manager Patrick Whipps.

This year alone, Congress is giving NASA $2 billion for SLS, and much of that funding is going to the core rocket built by Boeing. That core includes powerful liquid hydrogen and oxygen fuel tanks, which will give the first version of the rocket 8.5 million pounds of thrust.

"That's 31 747s at full power," said Boeing engineer Tony Castilleja. That thrust will be even greater in later versions. It also makes SLS the most powerful rocket in history. "This is the only rocket that can cut the time in half and double the science and double the exploration."

This is great news! The spark has finally back in the Space exploration business. There are several exciting missions on the horizon and the SLS will take us deeper into Space than ever before. I'm excited! What says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The only drawback for me is the fact that NASA is sticking will liquid fuel based thrusters for the SLS. Still, we're set to have some new adventures in Space. Just between us, I think NASA has a big secret that they're hiding. This renewed interest in Space has to do with the discovery whether it be life, or whatever else. My opinion.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
As most Americans do with most things, I blame Obama of this.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Funny thing is that even when the guy does something right he get it wrong, the 2010 plan stated the rocket should be available in 2015

I think Obama wanted to be Kennedy, and a little love to NASA was part of his dream, in the end he was just Obama, perhaps in a few years when there is a new guy to blame history will see Obama with different eyes who knows
edit on 26-1-2016 by Indigent because: I felt I didn't say Obama enought OBAMA

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

8.5 million pounds of thrust?! Awesome! That's considerably more than the 7.5 million pounds of the Saturn V's S-IC.

With that kind of heavy lift, we can launch things like large zero-G foundries to make all kinds of light-weight alloys, and electrophoresis labs to make advanced pharmaceuticals. Hell, we don't know 1/100th of what we will be able to do, but we can't do any of it until we have the means to get very large payloads into orbit.

This is a huge step.

What "Heavy Lift" looks like!

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Am I the only one that gets a little turned on when watching video of a Saturn V launch?

Somthing even more powerful.... I am about to have a nerdgasm!

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

8.5 million pounds of thrust?! Awesome! That's considerably more than the 7.5 million pounds of the Saturn V's S-IC.

With that kind of heavy lift, we can launch things like large zero-G foundries to make all kinds of light-weight alloys, and electrophoresis labs to make advanced pharmaceuticals. Hell, we don't know 1/100th of what we will be able to do, but we can't do any of it until we have the means to get very large payloads into orbit.

This is a huge step.

What "Heavy Lift" looks like!

Yeah, it's the return of the "Heavy Lift!"

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

Am I the only one that gets a little turned on when watching video of a Saturn V launch?

I'm not sure what your definition of "turned on" is but my heart sure starts beating like a banshee when the FIVE goes ballistic, does that count?

top topics

join