It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Microsoft Offers Anti-Spyware

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
OK, now I'm all updated. I'm working under the presumption that this is a program I will need to run manually every day. Again, thanks, glad I stopped in here

Actually, I am using Zone Alarm with Norton and I don't have any problems, other than the corruption issues I mentioned. I am very paranoid however, and this machine is fairly well-protected. Heck, I even unplug my modem when I'm turning off the PC for those brief seconds on startup and shutdown when ZA's not loaded, just in case.

[edit on 12-2-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Just take a bit of time each day to update your virus definitions with Intelligent Updater. With ADSL it should take about a minute, or at least that's about how long it takes with cable broadband. Keep your Live Update on and it will keep your other definitions and updates current. I hear a lot of bad things about Norton, but frankly, I trust them even if someone else is faster or cheaper. And those file corruptions are probably the result of a trojan or something that targets the software instead of being a problem with the software itself.

I do wish they were a bit more available in terms of customer service, but when you think about how bad customer service is across the board, it's probably better that you aren't tempted to call everytime something goes wrong, just to save yourself the aggravation of those snotnose twits who work the lines.

[edit on 05/2/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
there is proof. Also linux isn't more secure it's just that there is not a constant threat. Microsoft does have holes, but that makes it more complex. That's why people don't like it as much. People are lazy. They don't like to do stuff where they have to learn. Also, don't tell me how to post. There are more people who document less than me. All because i don't do for this post and you don't agree with me doesn't mean that i am bad for the board. You are not the moderator. I am a fan of linux, don't get me wrong. It's just that i don't have time to use it.
I also feel that microsoft can sacrafice at this point and make their software a little more intelligent and more secure. People need to learn this stuff. It's sorta hard but too bad. Hell even basic html isn't that hard. LEARN TO DO STUFF!!!! ITS GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well, I for one would just like to hear someone, anyone, tell me exactly why I should like Linux or Apple more than I like Microsoft. I know what all the problems are with MS. I've been futzing around with it for nearly twenty years now, even though I'm only now getting around to really learning how to maintain my own computer.

I know that Mac is wonderful. I know that Linux is wonderful. I know that MS sucks. I hear it all the time. It's just that no one has ever laid it all out in understandable language. Everyone just accepts it.

When I go look at Apples, all I see is a bunch of machines that look like museum pieces and the ones I can afford look sick on the specs page next to any PC you can find and the ones that look as good on the specs page as the PC I own, cost twice as much or more than the PC I own and Macs are not nearly as flexible in terms of compatibility with software as MS is, or at least that's my perception.

So, just once I'd like to see someone tell me the meat and potatoes of Apple (cute, huh?) and Linux, instead just of smugly declaring what I have already heard one billion times from roughly 6% of the computer market.

[edit on 05/2/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

there is proof. Also linux isn't more secure it's just that there is not a constant threat.

Were is the proof? Waiting....

There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."

Full Article

Microsoft does have holes, but that makes it more complex. That's why people don't like it as much. People are lazy. They don't like to do stuff where they have to learn.

The reason people like microsoft is because you just use your mouse and do not have to think. The more complex the easier it is to hack.

Also, don't tell me how to post.

Hey I just copied and pasted what you wrote about me another thread. If you don't like it then don't do it to others.

LEARN TO DO STUFF!!!! ITS GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

2 college degrees, ccna, ccnp, css1, gcfw, cwna, cwsp and in 3 weeks I take the cwap exam. Your right learning is good for you.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Posted by CAConrad0825
It's not that any other product is more secure it's just that there are more people out there using microsoft so then the blackhats try to break through it rather than linux or Apple OS.

Posted by cryptorsa1001
That is the most random crap that i have heard. Document ur theories or don't post. Linux is Inherently more secure than Microsoft. Quit posting crap!!!!

He he he Ha Ha Ha

cryptorsa1001 you crack me up.

You berate CAConrad0825 and insist

Document ur theories or don't post

Then you proceed to make your own assertions

Linux is Inherently more secure than Microsoft.

WITHOUT Documenting or showing any references.

But Anyway......
It does seem to be true that anyone trying to make money with spam, control robot computers, hack, or disable networks with denial of service attacks using virus etc., would want to attack the most common, most prolific, and popular OS don't you think? You couldn't cause mass panic, or make much money by attacking the bottom 1% of anything could you?

SPIEGEL INTERVIEW WITH BILL GATES January 31, 2005

SPIEGEL: But your small competitor Apple, for example, is much less frequently a victim of virus attacks ...

Gates: ... put so sweepingly, that is not correct. Of course we are the largest target, simply because we have the most widely disseminated system. But it affects others in exactly the same way. Linux is, in many respects, even more significantly affected.

SPIEGEL: In a few hours a Windows virus can travel across the world like an epidemic...

Gates: ... above all because of our global popularity. But we know that. And we must apply still more time and money to it. However, spam or data theft are not questions of the operating system. For this, you also need laws and global standards.

SPIEGEL: Once again: Windows is the most vulnerable.

Gates: ...You could look at that in many ways. The speed with which, for example, the Linux community reacts to problems is not especially high -- that's because this system, unlike ours, simply does not keep thousands of people on standby to deal with problems. In this respect, a commercially distributed operating system also has decisive benefits. Sweeping judgments don't help because we all have to take the problems seriously. Even Linux developers know that there is no miracle cure in Linuxland. They, too, must continue to work and continue to make progress.

Bill would never lie to us, right? Right?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
makeitso, glad to make you crack up. Did not think I had to provide proof of something I thought was common knowledge.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
You thought it was common knowledge but to an average person it is not. I apologize for snapping about proof....stay too long in the conspiracy forums and get tired of random things. You do know more than me it's just that when i made the post i had just had a argument with some weird lady who said that the only way to God was through the use of Shrooms and that she was Jesus Christ. Should spend more time in places like here....once again i apologize and refute any unreasonable and/or hostile comments. Rarely do i venture into these rooms but when i do my mind is usually jumbled by the whacked out stuff of the NWO or Illuminati forums.

Deny Ignorance and Refute the Stupidity!
ATS for Life!

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
CAConrad0825, peace to you. My apologies to you as well.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Since I run both MacOSX and Windows XP I can relate to what everyone's going through.

If you run Windows, you spend quite some time keeping your system trouble free.
Too much time.
If your P/C is running in an office network environment, you're fine usually
as long as you're in their network, but the outside world is a nighmare.

There is a simple solution.

It's just a mater of looking at how much your time is worth
and considering an alternative solution.

Some people are doing just that

I think it's rather noteworthy that both Oracle and Cisco

are converting over to Apple Xserve.

www.eweek.com...

www.enterprisenetworksandservers.com...

And for those who simply MUST work in a Windows only network environment
for some tasks. Using a simple KVM switch,
You now have an option to add a MacMini to your system for online
activities, thus having the advantages of both systems available on one monitor and keyboard.
This is very cool and now quite affordable.

OSX stability, security and user friendly applications in one CPU with all your favorite games and dedicated office stuff running from your P/C. Not bad.

and BTW, those few viruses that did affect Mac OS were old OS 8 and 9 problems.
Unix based OSX is a whole new ballgame.

OSX Tiger will knock your socks off in a few months.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Didn't take long
A trojan designed to make the anti-spyware ineffective.

The product itself however seems to be quite good and as others have stated finds more hidden stuff than many of the other anti-spyware programs out there. BUt really, who better than the owners of the MS code is going to know where to look.

As for Linux, yes it is more secure at present, at least some of the distros anyway. One reason for this is that it is not particulary wide spread in use, so less people write harmful software for it. As it's popularity increases more harmful software will be out there for it.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, i have seen some screen shots of the "new windows" and it looks pretty similar to a few linux distos i have seen. What is the word on the street about it's security and stability?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I would be very concerned about installing spyware from Microsoft.

If I did install it though, I would search for and try to install some spyware that detects spyware installed in spyware.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
Just out of curiosity, i have seen some screen shots of the "new windows" and it looks pretty similar to a few linux distos i have seen. What is the word on the street about it's security and stability?

Are you talking about Longhorn?
That's a long way away still. The beta version isn't even out yet.
I am sure that security and stability are two big items it will address.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Posted by CAConrad0825
Just out of curiosity, i have seen some screen shots of the "new windows" and it looks pretty similar to a few linux distos i have seen. What is the word on the street about it's security and stability

About Longhorn Security, ultimately that remains to be seen, but it looks to me like Micro$oft is not waiting for Longhorn to deploy new security measures.

On top of the above linked examples: Obviously Micro$oft Anti-spyware beta is already released.
AND the new Microsoft Windows Update Version 6 Beta has been released. Is anyone out there testing this yet? What is it like? Here is a forum about this new beta.

Other articles indicate that of the security developed for longhorn appear to be incorporated into XP SP2 as a first step. If I am reading some of the above links right.

Also it would seem logical to think that a newly deployed OS would have somewhat fewer security risks (at least in the short run), simply because it is new, (in 2006) with new standards. As opposed to WIN2k, which was first deployed in 1999. (I think).

As a side note, there is a Longhorn Beta transformation app "out there" that I have tested.

There is also a (spin-off/ramp-up?) Longhorn look alike application "out there" that I like DESKTOP SIDEBAR.

You can see some supposed Longhorn screenshots by doing a google image search for Microsoft longhorn. Some of it is pretty interesting.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I am using the spyware and i really like it. Better than Spybot S&D. My school requires us to have S&D but no one checks and my compy is running smoother than ever with Micro$ofts spyware than any other. Maybe it's just me...

<< 1   >>

join