It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Let's see just how "non-PC" you truly are

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:53 AM
oh, political mud pit, my bad, oink away
edit on 2820160120161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:08 AM
a reply to: Gryphon66

Generally political correctness is used to describe what is considered proper by left wing political factions, especially when it's extreme or asinine. The term isn't often used for right wing political views on correctness. Some have used conservative correctness for the right wing, but the term hasn't really caught on.

As for the OP's questions: I'm a white male. I fall into the conservative/libertarian spectrum.

1. You walk into a store and ask for help, the employee looks you in the eye and says that he doesn't want to help someone like you, that you make him sick, etc. Would you agree with the employer to fire him, or would you defend his right to free speech and lobby for him to keep his job?

In my case, this has little to do with PC. It may actually be more PC for a minority or leftist to discriminate against me, than for their boss to fire them for it. I would support the boss firing them by continuing to give them my business.

2. You are walking in the mall and notice someone walk up to an overweight person and start heckling them about their weight in front of hundreds of other people. Would you step in and defend the overweight person or would you defend the heckler because he has a right to say what he is saying and because he is being "non-PC"?

In truth I probably wouldn't step in and defend anyone. I don't approve of being rude just to be non-PC though. I might alert mall security if things were really bad.

3. Someone you know but do not like very much comes up to you and starts insulting you in front of your friends. Your friends step in and try to defend you, do you stop them and defend the person who is talking smack about you because what they are saying is "non-PC"?

This doesn't sound like it has much to do with political correctness at all. As a white male conservative, there criticism of me is more likely to be PC than non-PC. It may be non PC to defend me. If my friends wanted to stand up for civility, I would be grateful for it.
edit on 28-1-2016 by VP740 because: I found a better word.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:17 AM
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Political Correctness is a stain on our human culture. It stops people from hearing the truth, regardless of whether they like it or not.

Coddling someone's insecurity for fear of "upsetting" them or some else nearby is far worse than the potential for insult. You're lying to them. Or allowing them to be lied to.

If there's one thing I truly *hate* is not knowing things, even if I won't like them or they cause belief change in my already-established way of thinking.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:56 AM
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No it seems they don't .

It really depends on what everyone's definition of PC is.
For example, Blacks or African American?
which is the more politically correct term? Both are in a sense true. The color of their skin is in fact black ( or brown, but come on now), and they technically as a race are from Africa. So both are true and correct. Some feel that Black is demeaning , but then some feel that not all black Americans are from Africa, their ancestors are, so therefor African American is wrong, they are just Americans. And therefore American is the correct term regardless of the color of their skin, which if that is the true and correct term, there should be no such thing as Black Lives Matter and White this or that, it should be American Lives Matter and American this or that.

So it really all depends on what each individual feels is correct or not, and to me that means Political Correctness has many different true definitions and no one person is ever going to be actually correct. Having your own views and opinions is great, have them, but forcing them on someone else for any reason is wrong, but then again that is just my own personal opinion and may or may not "correct".

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:20 PM

originally posted by: Squirlli
For example, Blacks or African American?
which is the more politically correct term? Both are in a sense true. The color of their skin is in fact black ( or brown, but come on now), and they technically as a race are from Africa. So both are true and correct.

Actually both are not always true. Black is always true, AA sometimes is and sometimes is not. I know quite a few black people who hate AA and get offended. Some either consider their link to Africa so long removed that they feel no connection, and some actually have no link to Africa, at all.

What do you call a British black person in American? They are not American, and may not have any connection to Africa .. but PC demands we call them African American ... eerr huh?
edit on 28-1-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:07 PM
a reply to: Gryphon66

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say anything like that, now did I? I said the whiners who seem to turn anything outside what they think is ok, in to a name calling bash-a-thon. I believe in true Freedom of Speech and not a bunch of whiny children telling me what is politically correct to say. These brats have "safe places" to hide out in so their dainty little minds don't have to deal with the fact that someone just may have a differing opinion. They want to shame people in to supporting them, just like you tried to insinuate I was pro racism. I have never been a racist, I judge people on their actions, not on the color of their skin and I take serious offense at your accusation.

top topics
<< 3  4  5   >>